1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Acute transmission fluid leak

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Tundy, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Feb 11, 2020 at 5:18 PM
    Tundy

Tundy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 platinum/Barcelona red
    2.5 Bilstein coil overs, SPC UCAs, ride right airbags, Rays Volk TE 37s(18”), Yokohama Geolandar 35/12.5r18, trd pro grill, trd rear sway bar, blacked out handles/ mirror caps/ badges.
    Hey all, been a member for a while, just not much of a poster. Anyways, I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue:

About 3 months ago I had a very small puddle of transmission fluid show up under my truck in the garage. I assumed this was the start of a seal that has worn out. I cleaned it up and had to leave to work out of town for two weeks. I came home to no new visible leak. I drove the truck when I got home, the next morning an even smaller puddle than the first was under the truck. I cleaned it up that night and had an appointment to have it looked at. Unfortunately it would have to wait until I was back from another work rotation (3 weeks). I came home again and drove the truck and from that point on, I never had any other signs of leaking. No new residue on the underside of the truck. And for the last month I’ve had no sign of any leak( I check nearly everyday)..

So with that being said, has anyone experienced a tranny leak like this that just started randomly and stopped just as fast? I’m gonna get under her one of these days to get a real close look, just been busy with kids and wife!

2. Dec 28, 2020 at 11:29 AM
    wasserdogg

wasserdogg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    david
    Vehicle:
    2014 toyota tundra
    I just found a small puddle under my truck this weekend. did you ever find anything out on your leak? TIA.

3. Dec 28, 2020 at 7:08 PM
    Tundy

Tundy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2.5 Bilstein coil overs, SPC UCAs, ride right airbags, Rays Volk TE 37s(18”), Yokohama Geolandar 35/12.5r18, trd pro grill, trd rear sway bar, blacked out handles/ mirror caps/ badges.
    I misdiagnosed the fluid, it ended up being the antifreeze- red in colour and I was used to seeing the old yellow/green stuff from my older vehicles.. so it ended up being a faulty water pump which I had covered under extended warranty thank god! Had all the diff fluids changed over and a full tune up and it’s been running great all year.
    From what I know, the transmission fluid is in a fully sealed system so a leak prob would be a seal of some kind or a cracked tranny case- something like that.

pickeledpigsfeet likes this.
  4. Dec 28, 2020 at 8:34 PM
    socaltundra951

socaltundra951 Gentlemen Prefer Black Tundras

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Black CrewMax 5.7
    What's the mileage on your truck? I always like to keep an eye on the stuff I read about.

5. Dec 28, 2020 at 10:42 PM
    Tundy

Tundy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 with 150,000 kms.. that water pump fix was around 135,000kms. Toyota told me that’s quite rare for them to see. I couldn’t say if that’s totally true- this is my first tundra coming on 3 years of ownership, before that I’ve had 3 Tacoma’s which were hassle free trucks. I’m loving the tundra as well, I don’t see an end in sight!

HulkSmurf14 likes this.
  6. Mar 6, 2021 at 3:51 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    I just noticed a couple drips on my skid plate. It’s coming from the trans drain plug. I checked the plug with a 5mm hex key, and it was pretty tight. I tightened it another 1/4 turn, and I’ll keep an eye on it.

Weird that the drain plug would leak.

I did add a quart when I installed my external trans cooler, and used the fluid check procedure in the manual to let any excess fluid out.

7. Mar 6, 2021 at 4:25 PM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    My 2010 Tundra had the water pump replaced twice due to leaks.

8. Mar 6, 2021 at 5:02 PM
    AZBoatHauler

AZBoatHauler SSEM#140/ASCM#3/2ndGenNaysayer/BAF140

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax 4x4, 2017 LandCruiser, 2005 Sequoia 4x4
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
    Maybe needs a new crush washer? :notsure:

If you take it out with the truck cold and running you should be able to change the washer with minimal fluid loss.

Terndrerrr[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top