1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AC clutch blowing fuses

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Coldrolled, May 17, 2021.

1. May 17, 2021 at 5:51 PM
    Coldrolled

Coldrolled [OP] New Member

Member:
    This is a head scratcher for me. Refer to the attached clutch circuit to get your bearings.

2017 Tundra, new clutch installed last year under warranty (bearings were squealing). The 10A AC IG fuse keeps blowing, seconds after switching on the AC. Its a pretty simple circuit so I broke it down to try to verify the clutch is bad. The trouble is the resistance is good and if I give it +12V through an ammeter it only draws about 3A and the clutch seems to pick up on the compressor like I'd expect.

I put +12V right from the contact terminal of the relay socket to test all the wiring for grounds as well. Diode tests good (though not sure where is this is physically located?). Relay itself is fine, draws about 70mA. AC amplifier is downstream, probably just a sinking transistor to pick up the relay. Current there should be limited by relay coil itself.

If this is wired the way the diagram illustrates, I just don't see what could be drawing enough current to pop the fuse.

Any thoughts?tundra clutch cct.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top