1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A750F (and other) upgrade compatibility

Discussion in '1st Gen Builds (2000-2006)' started by Zoroaster, Apr 26, 2023.

1. Apr 26, 2023 at 9:36 PM
    Zoroaster

Zoroaster [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 LTD AC TRD
    As I’m sure has happened with others I fall more in love with my beat-up used truck each day, and the amount of money I’ve been able to save doing work on it myself thanks to the wealth of online resources such as this forum.

That work takes time though, and currently the 277k daily driver is my only vehicle. So I got to thinking… and decided the only fiscally responsible choice is another vehicle with compatible parts where I can also do the work on it myself… must be another first gen! Only problem is the market right now, I got mine for about 3.7 after all the fees so ideally the new one will be less.

impossible you say? It did seem so… the best I could find was a 2wd for 3.9 on cl. Copart had some decent frames up for auction (one had immaculate leather interior) that were very tempting, but then facebook found a few (plus a prerunner) for 2k or less! All were of course obvious scams… until one. 2000 ltd 4x4… but “bad transmission”, still waiting on an update if it can be put into neutral.

What are the reasonable options (including pros and cons of stock)? I can’t think of any reason not to add a fifth gear, but will a later tundra a750f bolt on without hassle? How are the electronics affected?

one other thing for now is that I have a trd off road limited. How can I expect this non-“trd off road” limited to differ ( its a good hour and a half drive away with no pictures of the frame)?

2. Apr 27, 2023 at 8:12 PM
    Zoroaster

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 LTD AC TRD
  3. May 6, 2023 at 7:20 PM
    Zoroaster

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 LTD AC TRD
    First update:

… no new Tundra. Even had an extra on the line (2001) but must have been a party last night bc no response all day today. $50 wasted to uhaul, but was some good experience and taught me that while I don’t have an overdrive button, I do have the appropriate light hook up to tow with them.

then I hit up my most promising local junkyards for 4Runners to find no v8 chassis for ecu/tranny. But did find a mint air filter and some spare coils. Left two for the next guy/crushinator. Guess the next move is an airbox mod on the current ride with these spares to keep my OEM… OEM.

In related news, threw a code for the one exhaust sensor I’ve replaced… which was of course the cheapest non-oem oreilys had in stock at the time

4. May 20, 2023 at 5:12 PM
    Zoroaster

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 LTD AC TRD
    This thread has moved to Taco World ;)

5. May 20, 2023 at 5:21 PM
    Mr.bee

Mr.bee King Turdra

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    '02 AC TRD
  6. May 20, 2023 at 6:36 PM
    Zoroaster

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 LTD AC TRD
    I have electrical experience, so that isn’t the problem anymore. V8 a750s are indeed only about $800 online but without that TCM it would defeat the purpose. Also that bad transmission tundra sold before I could get to it thankfully. A bit out of my ideal budget anyways

So my company has a 98 2x4 taco sr5 auto with a “bad transmission”, and over 300k on the original 2.4. Found a 2.0 TDI vw for 1700 so that’s the new project

Mr.bee likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top