1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A.R.E topper ISSUES 2018 tundra

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Stewartderk, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Apr 11, 2019 at 10:06 AM
    salmonator

salmonator New Member

Member:
    Tigard, OR
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SR5 4x4 DC
    2B508178-9FB8-4D7A-A50F-3A1A3C73CA0B.jpg 3EA956D3-2D8D-4175-A742-C20EEC74103F.jpg

This is a photo of the “hook” at the door/tailgate that is on my canopy but wasn’t on the CX canopy at dealers lot. You can see the interference pretty easy, no way this is going to sit all the way down without hitting the paint.

2. Apr 11, 2019 at 10:19 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Something definitely doesn't look right...

3. Apr 11, 2019 at 12:32 PM
    PKFan

PKFan my pronouns are (she/it) - c'mon, say it fast

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno! DC SR5 4x4
    Tyger Blade running boards, Valhalla's Shield cat plates
    I concur. Most folks seem pretty favorable toward Snugtop, but my experience was anything but good. Horrible fit/finish on the front window (sharp metal shavings sticking out), leaked like a sieve from the rear brake light area, and the regional sales guy arguing with me about my satisfaction with the top after it having been sent back twice to the factory. Sure looked nice, though. :(

Black Wolf likes this.
  4. Apr 11, 2019 at 1:51 PM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    I prefer applying to the bottom edge of the topper. If you choose to remove your topper some of the topper insulation tape an be a PIA to remove. Just another option. :thumbsup:

Black Wolf likes this.
  5. Apr 12, 2019 at 11:04 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Correction....it's best to apply it to the shell but can't hurt anything by applying it to the bed rails.

6. Apr 12, 2019 at 11:29 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    I picked up a 13 year old ARE V series shell for my 2002. It doesn't rub/touch the paint anywhere but the build quality is pretty bad. If I ever fork out the big bucks for a new one I doubt I could go with ARE. I'm sorry to hear it damaged your paint.

7. Apr 12, 2019 at 11:59 AM
    apwisher

apwisher New Member

Member:
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 CM SR5/TRD 4x4 White
    canopy, TRD Sway, audio
    My 14 had the same issues with the ARE canopy on it. Very disappointing. I sold the 14 and now I have a Snugtop on my 2007, and have no issues. That said I bought a canopy that does not overlap the sides this time, I like them better anyway.

8. Apr 12, 2019 at 12:53 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Better that way.

Patriot[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Apr 12, 2019 at 12:59 PM
    Walleye

Walleye New Member

Member:
    Try replacing the A.R.E. with a Leer and see if that corrects the paint rubbing issues.

millerstone likes this.
  10. Apr 12, 2019 at 5:00 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    The smart thing to do no matter what brand is to check fitment at the installation place before you drive off. Any decent place wouldn't let you drive off with a dicked up topper and fitment...just sayin..

UTTundra likes this.
  11. Apr 27, 2019 at 4:56 AM
    lakenorcan

lakenorcan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jon
    northeastern Pa
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 DC limited
    Leer cap, weathertech vent visors, & floor mats, interior LEDs, drone remote start, front camera, tinted glass, trd rear sway bar, Thule cross bars, morimoto hid headlights, morimoto led fog lights
    I'm having the same rubbing issues as the op of this thread. I purchased the truck used with the shell and the damage was already done. I almost didn't buy the truck because of damage done to the paint. Mine is a leer 100xl. The previous owner purchased it brand new & paint matched for around $2500. My damage is at the rear bed corners and across the length of the tailgate. I think I'm going to have them do a small strip/thin layer of line-x or similar to remedy the paint situation (I want to keep the factory bed caps). I'm also going to do some filing to the shell get a better fitand finish. I'm open to other ideas or suggestions....KIMG1361.jpg KIMG1360.jpg

12. Apr 27, 2019 at 5:36 AM
    UTTundra

UTTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Utah
    Yikes. That's a bummer. I think line-x would be a good solution. Let us know how much that costs. My ARE topper initially had a good fit, but after time, offroading, carrying weight on the racks, it started shifting and rubbing. I just replaced the seal with a larger one made by Extruded Solutions, and it helped a ton. It sits perfect at the moment with no rubbing anywhere. The original seal was just flattened like beef jerky. Not sure what it looked like when it was fresh. I also applied some 3M paint protection film in the trouble spots after touching them up.

Depending on what your seal looks like, I would think a new and better one would help some. I did the Super Cap seal XL with the front rail seal.
    https://extrudedsolutions.com/TruckCapSeals.html

lakenorcan[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. May 2, 2019 at 3:43 AM
    plumber802

plumber802 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Platinum CM
    If nothing else, this thread has been helpful to make people aware of potential rubbing issues that may arise with ANY brand topper. I'm waiting to find a deal on Craigslist for a decent used topper, I think I will make sure to double up on the foam tape and make sure that the corners fit without rubbing.

14. May 3, 2019 at 7:44 PM
    HawkeyeHauler

HawkeyeHauler New Member

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 5.7L SR DC (Family Cruiser)
    I have been looking for a topper and was set on the ARE MX Series, as I will be camping from the back of my truck when in bear country. However, I am a little worried because this is not the first instance where I have read of multiple fitment issues. I am in North Dakota and the nearest SnugTop is in Oklahoma (out of the question), Leer wouldn't be too far and also one of the top dealers in the country, and the ARE dealer is one of the top in the country as well and located in Montana...where truck toppers are extremely common on pick ups. I do mostly believe it comes down to dealer reputation, skill, and service capability.
    Now, I am going to back track a little and ask about SoftTopper. I say back track because I wanted a hard top to add a buffer zone from bears. Which run-ins really aren't too common, but when they happen it really isn't much fun...depending on the outcome I guess.
    So who has or recommends SoftTopper??
    The ARE dealer is Rocky Mountain Toppers and are supposed to be pretty top notch.

15. May 12, 2019 at 7:58 AM
    tundraforme

tundraforme New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Em
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Off Road Quicksand
    LOVE the pac rack drawer/rifle set up!

phogallen[QUOTED] and TheBeast like this.
  16. Jun 20, 2019 at 2:54 PM
    flinky14

flinky14 If I'm the wife, who says no to new mods?

Member:
    First Name:
    Genna
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra CM Platinum 4x4
    -TRD Dual Exhaust - 3m - UV front window tint/rear limo tint -TRD Oil Cap -Toyota Bed Mat - TRD Pro Grille - ARE canopy (sliding Windoors, pop down sliding front window, headliner, rack rails) -OEM Toyota Remote Starter -Baja Designs Sport Fog Lights -TRD door sill protectors -Ronin Factory short antenna
    Anyone with an ARE for a crewmax that has rack tracks....
    Do yours extend slightly past the end curve of the shell? My Tacoma wasn’t like this and I ordered the exact same shell just for a tundra.

48F31DC8-A86A-4113-ABB7-E4815770FBF5.jpg 202993A8-4312-4D36-AB86-0F81DF1A4C75.jpg 8A0F22CF-2CA5-4530-A163-458FE30FD73D.jpg

17. Jun 20, 2019 at 3:29 PM
    monaco730

monaco730 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
    Fox shocks, TRD Exhaust, TRD grill, TRD shift knob, weathertech floor/bed liners, ARE topper, FrontRunnerOutfitters cargo rack, Relentless cargo bars, color matched front bumper/side mirrors, fuel wheels, nitto RGs, K&N intake
    I would say that is an incorrect install. I don't think they should go over like that. I did not install mine like that.

TheBeast likes this.
  18. Jun 20, 2019 at 3:33 PM
    tundraforme

tundraforme New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Em
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Mine does not, I will take pictures for you if you want to see

flinky14 likes this.
  19. Jun 20, 2019 at 3:38 PM
    flinky14

Member:
    First Name:
    Genna
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    -TRD Dual Exhaust - 3m - UV front window tint/rear limo tint -TRD Oil Cap -Toyota Bed Mat - TRD Pro Grille - ARE canopy (sliding Windoors, pop down sliding front window, headliner, rack rails) -OEM Toyota Remote Starter -Baja Designs Sport Fog Lights -TRD door sill protectors -Ronin Factory short antenna
    It came from the factory that way now I’m mad lol

20. Jun 20, 2019 at 3:38 PM
    flinky14

Member:
    First Name:
    Genna
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Yes please. I’m going to take it back to the company so would love pictures to show others aren’t like that

21. Jun 20, 2019 at 3:41 PM
    monaco730

monaco730 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
    Fox shocks, TRD Exhaust, TRD grill, TRD shift knob, weathertech floor/bed liners, ARE topper, FrontRunnerOutfitters cargo rack, Relentless cargo bars, color matched front bumper/side mirrors, fuel wheels, nitto RGs, K&N intake
    That's a "oh crap we ordered the wrong length tracks but we are gonna save money and sneak these on and hope the customer doesn't notice" job

22. Jun 20, 2019 at 3:44 PM
    tundraforme

tundraforme New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Em
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    I'm at work and this is all I have stored here but you can see the rails end way before the end of the cap. I'm actually trying to think up something to put on the end so I don't scrape my paddleboard when I have the cross bars/lock up there. I'll take more in the daylight tomorrowupload_2019-6-20_15-42-41.jpg

upload_2019-6-20_15-42-41.jpg

23. Jun 20, 2019 at 3:48 PM
    flinky14

Member:
    First Name:
    Genna
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    That’s perfect thanks! Ya I just called the place it was installed and they said it’s wrong

tundraforme[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Jun 20, 2019 at 3:49 PM
    tundraforme

tundraforme New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Em
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Perfect! Let me know if you still want/need pics.

flinky14[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Jun 20, 2019 at 3:51 PM
    flinky14

Member:
    First Name:
    Genna
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    What system you using for your paddle boards and what paddle boards. I actually race them professionally lol. Might be able to give you some ideas

26. Jun 20, 2019 at 4:08 PM
    tundraforme

tundraforme New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Em
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    thanks! i have this https://lockrackus.com/ with two touring boards. i have a lift and i'm only 5'9" which normally isnt an issue but it is for this!

27. Jun 20, 2019 at 9:02 PM
    flinky14

Member:
    First Name:
    Genna
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    If someone has a second, can you measure how far apart your rack rails are please. My Prinsu is like 1.5” too narrow so now I’m thinking maybe they put them too far apart as well.

Thanks for all the responses. Helped a lot! Would never have caught it if it was for this forum!

28. Jun 20, 2019 at 9:06 PM
    flinky14

Member:
    First Name:
    Genna
    Alberta
    Vehicle:

I use to have a full size cargo van that was lifted 2” that i travelled in for races. It had racks on top and then I had the Yakima sup pups. So it was super tall but I got boards up by feeding them from the back. If you have an extra bar you can make a roller. Put the bar as far back as possible and add one of the cheap round bar pads or even a pool noodle. It will act as a roller. Put the nose of the board on that, shimmy your hands back on the board and then feed the board forward on the “roller” onto the rack.

Just one option :)

29. Jun 20, 2019 at 10:23 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    man that is shitty QC..for the price they charge for those toppers..it should be spotless

30. Jun 21, 2019 at 10:23 AM
    tundraforme

tundraforme New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Em
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! That is kinda what I was thinking of doing, but haven't had time to get up there and work it out yet. I have a civic, which was my only vehicle before the Tundra, and it was SO MUCH easier to load onto that thing. haha. I will go out and measure now

Products Discussed in

To Top