1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

7 pin connection issues as it applies to 2018, 2019 tundra

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by dvstundra2018, Mar 15, 2024.

1. Mar 15, 2024 at 10:47 AM
    dvstundra2018

dvstundra2018 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dima
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR Longbed 5.7
    Leather seats-heated, fog lights, no engine mods, tint, 20 inch wheels, sound
    I’ve been using the 7 pin connector for one of my trailers that have breaks and the 4 pin connector for a single axle trailer, no issues.
    I decided to add reverse backup lights to my 7 pin connector trailer with breaks and suddenly got an error, something like , incorrect connector “ anyways.
    I checked my connections and made sure I made no mistakes in wiring.
    After looking over this forum I came across a T-SB-0036-19 article and applies to 2018-2019 Tundras.
    This seems to be an issue with the TBC, trailer brake controller. Once I added the reverse lights, I got an error and the trailer connection light on the dash did not display.
    It seems there is a software error that is caused by improper impedance under load within the controller.
    In other words, you will not see this error unless you are connecting to a trailer/rv unit that uses reverse lights.
    The TBC(trailer brake controller) had to be re-flashed, only available through the dealer.
    Dealer wanted to charge a $99 diagnostic fee plus $199 to reflash the TBC, I negotiated $200 plus tax and the issue was fixed.
    It seems to come up when connecting an RV or a trailer using a 7-pin connector to a trailer with reverse lights.
    Unfortunately this issue is not the recognized as a recall, although, once the error appears, the electric breaks on the trailer or an RV are no longer functional, causing an obvious safety concern. Hope this helps. Dima

2. Mar 15, 2024 at 12:27 PM
    koditten

koditten New Member

Member:
    Your truck plug should have already had power to back up light pin.

If you added a wire, then you are now feeding power to a pin that is no supposed to have it.

3. Mar 17, 2024 at 12:32 PM
    Chad D.

Chad D. New Member

Member:
    Western Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax Platinum
    Reading that again, I understand that OP simply added lights to his trailer wired the new lights into his trailer 7-way pigtail.

Assuming everything is connected correctly, it should have been fine. I ordered my 20’ flatbed with backup lights and it’s always worked correctly with my 2018 Platinum.

koditten likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top