1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5100's

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by NurEye, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Jan 2, 2017 at 7:21 AM
    NurEye

NurEye [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5
    Sorry guys not very mechanically inclined and this is my first truck ever. I want to level my 2008 Tundra. I like the way it looks. Eventually I'll go camping and use it for towing not now though.

My question: went to a local shop to get some 5100's and told him I wanted the truck leveled. He told me I would need the 5100's and a level kit.

My thought process is: Can't I just raise the front struts 2 inches and leave the back shocks alone. Won't this level the truck itself?

2. Jan 2, 2017 at 7:28 AM
    BlueFalconActual

BlueFalconActual Field Day Inspector Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    29 Palms, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra-less
    5100s are height adjustable and therefore are a leveling kit. Yes, you can just lift the front by 2 inches to level it. That's what I did to my truck in my profile picture. You can't do that with the stock coil overs unless you add a spacer which I would advise against.
    Long story short, if you want to level it and aren't planning on doing any major off road stuff, get a set of 5100's, adjust them to 2 inches on the front and be done with it.

3. Jan 2, 2017 at 7:33 AM
    NurEye

NurEye [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5
    I just left 29 palms. (I'm a medic, Army) flew out there to pick my brother up after he got out of the Marines.

So since I can't do it with the stock coil overs unless I add a spacer do I need new stock coil overs?

Also why do you think he would try selling me a level kit? (To make more money or maybe he thought I would be off roading?)

4. Jan 2, 2017 at 7:45 AM
    BlueFalconActual

BlueFalconActual Field Day Inspector Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    29 Palms, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra-less
    Spacers limit off roading ability. You can google "strut spacer fail" and see what I mean. I have no idea why that dude was trying to push 5100s and a spacer unless he wanted to level it by throwing a spacer in the front and blocks in the rear as well.
    5100's use the stock spring, so all you would need is a set of 5100's and thats it. Perfectly level is around 1.9-2.0" up front (mine is 1.9" and it's dead level). 5100's are adjustable between .87", 1.71" and 2.56", so I would put it at the middle setting and it would be almost dead level.
    I dont have the 5100s, but there are a TON of guy who run them and you can find a bunch of pictures and info by searching. Don't hesitate to answer questions, this forum is full of a bunch of good dudes with a wealth of knowledge.

NewImprovedRon and CaptTyler like this.
  5. Jan 2, 2017 at 8:02 AM
    CaptTyler

CaptTyler Life’s too short to have an ugly boat.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
    I originally had 2.25" spacers and switched to 5100's on top setting and added (2) Coachbuilder shims on top of each strut. I ended up with a hair over 3" up front so added CB +2 shackles in rear to level.
    If you're looking to keep it more affordable, I'd start with just replacing your front shocks with 5100's and setting them at the middle setting. You can leave the rear alone for now and go from there. The shocks aren't that expensive and much safer than normal spacers.

6. Jan 2, 2017 at 8:09 AM
    NurEye

NurEye [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5
    CaptTyler, are you in Florida? I'm in Ft. Myers. I think I'll just get the 5100's all around and put the fronts on the middle setting. Should I get an alignment after the fact?

7. Jan 2, 2017 at 8:11 AM
    CaptTyler

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
    Yep, I'm up by Port Charlotte!
    Good choice. And absolutely yes. Without a doubt. You'll love the ride so much more than if you bought a spacer lift.

8. Jan 2, 2017 at 8:13 AM
    NurEye

NurEye [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5
    Did you do the work yourself or did you go to a shop around here?

9. Jan 2, 2017 at 9:25 AM
    CaptTyler

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
    I did it myself but only because a friend on mine had a really nice spring compressor. Don't go out and borrow a cheap one, those things are dangerous.

Products Discussed in

To Top