1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5 inches of snow coming to GA ( ok NO laughing!!)

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by redrum448, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Jan 14, 2022 at 4:06 AM
    redrum448

redrum448 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Okay, dont laugh but I never owned a truck before I bought this 21 tundra dec 2020 (4x4) so on the rare occasions it snowed here in GA i just stayed home.

What can I do in the snow with this truck? how about snow and ice? we are expected to get about 5 inches of snow and maybe some ice too.

Do I stick it in low and just drive slow? (LOL)

Help a newbie out here and give me some basics!

woods, MS22, GODZILLA and 2 others like this.
  2. Jan 14, 2022 at 4:26 AM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    I would appreciate it if you still just stayed home.:rolleyes:

3. Jan 14, 2022 at 4:36 AM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    If the roads are snow covered out it in 4HI.

If you get stuck turn off all the Nannie’s (tcs, lsd) and put it in 4LO, letting the tires spin.

Don’t brake in the corner, break before the corner.

Give a lot of space between the car in front and you. If you are approaching a downhill and you see a big rig or small car struggling up the oncoming hill, and the road has better conditions (traction) right down the middle, wait at the top for them to get up so they have the whole road.

Pay a lot of attention to the vehicles around you.

I know this sounds obvious but remember it won’t slow down or stop any better because it is 4WD.

But yeah, like ezdog said, staying off the road is the best choice. Nothing like people getting seriously hurt when they had no reason to even be on the road.

Ohhh and if you can find a safe field or something, have some fun!

Without studs, nothing you can do about ice except slow down, avoid it if possible, and brace yourself before impact.
    If you know where it is obviously drive very slow or avoid it altogether (if steep grade or off camber turn).

TWJLee, RRR1C0, Ely010606 and 6 others like this.
  4. Jan 14, 2022 at 4:37 AM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy I'm not new!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited
    I'm in piedmont area of SC. They are calling for winter mix. They salted the road in front of my house yesterday which is cool, it's also a state highway so that might be why it got treatment so quick. Where are you, in the mountains?

That's my plan...

@redrum448 I've always owned trucks but never had a 4x4. :crapstorm: I've also never gotten stuck, that includes the 3 years I spent in Grand Forks ND driving a '62 chevy c10. I did get stuck once, in my back yard, on wet grass. Could not get traction for nothing...used a com-a-long to get out.

Drive like normal I'd say. I'm sure I'll be in the minority here.

Darkness likes this.
  5. Jan 14, 2022 at 4:37 AM
    Crunch527

Crunch527 Brute Force and Ignorance

Member:
    Iowa
    TRD Supercharger/BAM
    I’m in Iowa and we get 5-8 inches of snow sometimes more on a routine basis. Matter of fact we are getting more snow today. I assume you will be on the street and therefore, no need for 4-low on hard/soft packed snow. Your truck will be fine. I know, since I am from the east coast, that ice storms can be bad…there is nothing but maybe studded snow tires that can help when it ices up. I don't recommend getting a set of studded snow tires either…not worth the hassle. BTW: if you are using 4 Low in snow (because you need it), you are probably effed anyway. Just run it in 4 Hi and take your time, it will do fine.

But since I brought it up lets talk tires for a second: The stock Michelins are a great tire for snow and yours should be fresh, so you are set there. I will share that I have switched to one size larger in tire size and went with Toyo AT 3s and they slide around more on rain, snow and ice than the Michelins did. The At 3s look cool but in my opinion they sacrificed performance in every way; braking, ride quality, mileage, acceleration, etc. I was hoping that once the snow hit that the AT3s would reveal themselves as a superior tire to the Michelins but nope. Ive had BFGs, Coopers and several other AT tires in the past and have had the same experience and thought the AT 3 would be “different.” So don't allow looks and your male ego (like I did) cloud the reality that fresh set of Michelins are about the best thing out there for winter driving conditions on the street…they don't look sexy, but they kick ass. I will say that after about 25-30K miles the Michelin’s performance does fade (as do all tires). But anyway, save the AT tire option if you decide to mostly use your truck off road. I’m on the street 99% of the time and will go back to Michelins.

The other key piece is starting and stopping. You have to allow for more time to get going and more distance to stop. Essentially, driving style has to change. What will happen is everyone will follow the same routine, be running a few minutes late to work, taking fluffy to the vet, or headed to get waxed and they will drive the same way they do on dry pavement and that is why you will see cars strewn about and wrecked. The body shops will gain a backlog of business that will carry them through next Christmas.

Anyway, you have what you need…4Hi and ease along…no sudden starts or stops and your truck will do great. It’s the other guy you have to worry about.

6. Jan 14, 2022 at 4:38 AM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy I'm not new!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited
    Smart to do that under any condition.

Oey12, Darkness, Wallygator and 2 others like this.
  7. Jan 14, 2022 at 4:40 AM
    Bammer

Bammer I'm disinclined to acquiesce your request.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Monroe, CT
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SR5 TRD Crew Max 4x4
    Perfect opportunity to go to an empty parking lot and see how the truck reacts in 4 wheel, two wheel , fast ,slow , just get a feel and get some confidence, as it may snow there again in 2099!

Triton19X2, MS22, Oey12 and 6 others like this.
  8. Jan 14, 2022 at 5:29 AM
    slowpokepete

slowpokepete New No More

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Hillsdale, NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 Blue Tundra DC 4x4 SR5
    Beware of the other driver.

SPP

WILLINH, Darkness and Wallygator like this.
  9. Jan 14, 2022 at 5:32 AM
    toyofan87

toyofan87 Beer thirty

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Gettysburg, Penna
    Vehicle:
    80- Longbed/87-4Runner/08-Sr5 Tundra
    Toytec 2.0 Aluma 3/1.5 lift with JBA's UCA Falkens AT3 295/70/18
    Lots of experience options from above, but if you have to go out in the inclement weather.. Beer run....Blantons, KFC, whatever... Have some provisions in your truck for those unexpected road shut downs because of conditions or that one guy. .just happened here on the Northern Va corridor to WDC... Backed up for 12-15 hrs, dead stop, road conditions snow pack until plows can get there to help.. It can down so fast and so much... So have those provisions on standby, water, snacks, jerky, and yes toilet wipes.. If you gotta go/ go.
    Be safe and stay home.

D3VA, Wallygator and 2mchfun like this.
  10. Jan 14, 2022 at 5:32 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    Do some simulator practice. Go to YouTube and watch videos of idiots driving on snow and ice.

Moon Puppy and Wallygator like this.
  11. Jan 14, 2022 at 5:39 AM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    X2 best to stay home.

hooter, Moon Puppy and HulkSmurf14 like this.
  12. Jan 14, 2022 at 5:45 AM
    Adam

Adam New Member

Member:
    I agree with Bammer, if you got a place close to go out and do some driving around with no fear of hitting something, or being hit, that can be a lot of fun. That is how I learned how to drive in the snow as a kid. If you lock the rear axle your ass end can come around reallllly fast so watch out. On the road, go slow and give yourself plenty of room to stop. If it is ice, just stay home as you will be f-ed if you slide off sideways or worse yet someone slides into you.

13. Jan 14, 2022 at 5:46 AM
    Bprose

Bprose Old member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra CM TRD
    We’re gonna get here in VA sun night with freezing rain Monday morning. I have to go to work Sunday (shouldn’t be bad) and Monday, I leave at 4a. Gonna be fun. Taking the awd RAV4. It’s my commuter and it did pretty well during the last snow. No matter how good you are at driving in inclement weather, there’s idiots out there that drive, well, like idiots.

Wallygator likes this.
  14. Jan 14, 2022 at 5:56 AM
    thumper_racer

thumper_racer New Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM Rock Warrior
    Being about 20 miles from the GA line (Chattanooga area), I can say that most people can't even drive when it rains. Throw some snow in and you have a perfect recipe for disaster since the vast majority do not know how to drive in those conditions.

15. Jan 14, 2022 at 6:10 AM
    dpast88

dpast88 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Furlong, PA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tree
    The comment on the stock Michelins being better than several AT tires is very interesting.

16. Jan 14, 2022 at 6:20 AM
    Trogdog

Trogdog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trog
    North West GA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Crewmax SR5
    There are a couple things to remember about driving in snow in GA (or anywhere in the lower south), it's quite different from places that get snow on a regular basis.
    People on in the south go completely nuts when it snows and don't expect to find anything at the grocery store where there is snow forcasted.
    It's such a rare an unique experience that everybody wants to get out and drive in the snow and they have no idea what they're doing.
    If you know how to drive in the snow the greatest danger is other drivers followed closely by getting stuck on a freeway for hours/days when everybody crashes and blocks you in. Keep warm clothing and waterproof/warm footwear in the vehicle, if you get blocked in you may be walking.
    If you can possibly avoid it don't drive anything new/nice in the snow in the south, people will crash into you.

For actually driving in the snow remember 4x4 is not magic, attempt to drive as if you had no breaks and just had to let off the gas to slow down, manual mode and down shifting is good for this.
    Fresh snow is not bad for driving, packed down snow or partially melted then frozen snow is just ice.

I moved to GA in late 2013, the snowmagedon of early 2014 was a real eye opener of exactly how crazy southerners can get in the snow.

17. Jan 14, 2022 at 6:27 AM
    Lake.Life24

Lake.Life24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD Gasser
    I live in Upstate, NY and get snow it seems from Oct-Apr and I tell everyone this. Go get sand or cement bags about 500lbs worth and put them in the truck bed between the wheel wells. You need weight back their for traction. Also drive slow and stay off the gas pedal. Spinning tires are not your friend.

And lastly this is the most important thing. Go find an empty(ish) parking lot with snow. You need to rip as many donuts and fish-tails as you can. Get a feel for the truck. See how it slides and when the tires pick up traction and also also steer into the skid.

18. Jan 14, 2022 at 6:27 AM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    i remember years ago like 2014 or something I was in Atlanta on business and it snowed like an inch and people were abandoning their cars on the highway lol.

19. Jan 14, 2022 at 6:33 AM
    Geezer

Geezer New Member

Member:
    Heart of the Catskills
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited
    I live in the Northeast and drive in snow every winter. The last time I drove down I95 in the snow in Virginia and North Carolina there were many vehicles stuck on the median 90 degrees from the driving lane with the front of the vehicle facing or hitting the guard rail. It took me a while to understand how this happened to so many people, then I saw it happen to the car in front of me. The cause was that the car veered a little bit to the left so the front tires left the tire tracks and caught in the snow. The front wheels immediately pulled left and the car turned into the guard rail.

So, my advice is to follow at a distance, but try to stay in the tire tracks formed by the vehicles in front of you. And, more importantly, hold onto the steering wheel so it doesn't pull into a turn against your will. Make very gradual and gentle corrections, but hold onto the wheel.

20. Jan 14, 2022 at 6:39 AM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Great advice!

Wallygator likes this.
  21. Jan 14, 2022 at 6:41 AM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    I also got to witness it last year first hand here in TX during the snowpocalypse. Granted I will say some of the trucks did pretty well. We still had our AWD 2018 CR-V (which if anyone has been in the new gen CR-V AWD, it's an absolute beast in the snow). But anyone in a FWD car or RWD SUV were a road hazard. Besides grip, the biggest issue was they didn't know how to judge stopping distance in the snow. LOTS of rear end collisions and cars in ditches.

I'd say, if you don't get to drive in snow at least on an annual basis. Stay home. Doordash and Amazon fresh your needs.

22. Jan 14, 2022 at 6:46 AM
    T-Guy69

T-Guy69 New Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    Black 2020 Tundra SR5
    If you truck came with Bridgestone dueler's and you have 2 WD.....as others said, stay home. The Bridgestones suck in the snow. If you have 4 WD, you may get by.

But as othes said, people in Georgia are probably not used to snow. So watch out for others.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  23. Jan 14, 2022 at 6:50 AM
    Trogdog

Trogdog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trog
    North West GA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Crewmax SR5
    I think it was feb 2014, if was cold for a couple days prior so when it snowed 2-3 inches (really not more than 3 inches) all the cars driving on it packed it down to about 1/2 inch of ice. People lost their minds, the next day looked like a scene from The Walking Dead, crashed and abandoned cars everywhere nobody out outside.
    If it snows in the south and you're in/near a city stay home. If you're not near a city also be careful there's more 4x4 trucks in the country and people think 4x4 is magic.

Wallygator likes this.
  24. Jan 14, 2022 at 6:58 AM
    gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Wyoming

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2014 trd silver tundra
    6" lift, bumper and winch.
    3D09ADB9-351F-40B9-861A-6E104CD7C549.jpg Get out there

25. Jan 14, 2022 at 7:00 AM
    Tundra14Platinum

Tundra14Platinum I love reading the CoC in my spare time

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2014 Platinum CM Sky Silver
    TRD PRO Grill/Headlights, Swaybar, Eibach
    Stay home and do This ^^^^ when safe.

Practice Practice Practice. Don't forget to do some Spinny Circles.

26. Jan 14, 2022 at 7:05 AM
    Jonross227

Jonross227 New Member

Member:
    If you can help it, just stay home. It's Georgia it'll be gone in 24 hrs. If you have to get out just take it slow and be easy on the pedals and wheel.
    The most important thing to remember when driving in the south during snow is to never underestimate the level of stupidity behind the wheel of other cars.

Moon Puppy likes this.
  27. Jan 14, 2022 at 7:07 AM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    Subaru drivers especially in my experience!

hooter, toyofan87 and Moon Puppy like this.
  28. Jan 14, 2022 at 7:08 AM
    Wallygator

Wallygator Well Zippedy Da Do!

Member:
    Unfortunately I have to go to work so won't be staying home. I grew up in the snow and it amazes me how poorly people drive in the stuff. They drive like it's normal conditions and then wonder why they end up in the ditch. Really the only thing I worry about is someone smashing into me.

29. Jan 14, 2022 at 7:08 AM
    BecauseRacecar

BecauseRacecar New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4 Magnetic Gray
    If I recall correctly, the last time it snowed in Hotlanta...
    [​IMG]

Half Assed, RRR1C0, TundraTed and 8 others like this.
  30. Jan 14, 2022 at 7:09 AM
    Wallygator

Wallygator Well Zippedy Da Do!

Member:
    :rofl:

KK6PD and Oey12 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top