1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5.7L shot with 88,000 miles

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Adam86, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Sep 20, 2019 at 7:26 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    I would just trade it in at this point

Y0TA PR0 likes this.
  2. Sep 20, 2019 at 7:32 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    What part of AK are you at Adam?

3. Sep 20, 2019 at 7:32 AM
    e30cabrio

e30cabrio I'm e30cabrio, I'm a modaholic

Member:
    West Valley, Phoenix, Az.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crewmax, 2013 Sequoia Limited
    Sequoia LED Headlights! D.T. L.T. headers, dual exh., BDX, S&B intake, 2018 seat skins.
    Sorry this happened, hopefully you get good news.

Good luck!

4. Sep 20, 2019 at 7:45 AM
    bradleykd

bradleykd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited-BLACK
    I agree with this, but also, being in Alaska, you would think there would be more resourceful shops. This throw away and buy new mentality that is popular in the lower 48 isn't quite as prevalent in AK. People have been fixing jacked up engines for way longer than they any of us have been alive.

Looks like you found the kind of guy you need in this situation. A mechanic, not a parts swapper.

Good luck!

Black Wolf likes this.
  5. Sep 20, 2019 at 7:55 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
  6. Sep 25, 2019 at 10:29 AM
    Adam86

Adam86 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2011 Rock Warrior
    Well update on the truck. Towed it to another shop yesterday and got a phone call this morning. They confirmed the dealers claim that a valve spring broke, and a valve had fallen into the engine. So looks like I’ll be forking over $6200 for this new/used engine. I know this is a rarity but still extremely disappointed. I called Toyota corporate last Thursday and they were supposed to follow up with me in a day or so. I’ll call them back today although I don’t expect it’ll lead to anything. Didn’t Lexus have an issue awhile back where they had known issues with valve springs and didn’t fix the issue for years?

Black Wolf and ColoradoTJ like this.
  7. Sep 25, 2019 at 11:15 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Damn this just sucks. Sorry man. Tough luck I guess.

8. Sep 25, 2019 at 12:09 PM
    Adam86

Adam86 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2011 Rock Warrior
    Yeah bad luck for sure. And to top it off the engine with 68,000 literally just sold so now my next best option is one with 119,000 miles. At this point I’m debating keeping this thing or trading it in when it’s fixed. I’m not too keen on an engine with that many miles. What do you guys think?

Black Wolf and ColoradoTJ like this.
  9. Sep 25, 2019 at 12:44 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    There is no way in hell I would spend any amount of money and installing a higher mileage motor than what is on the odometer.

Did you check the link I provided earlier?

https://carpartplanet.com/2014-toyota-tundra-5-7l-23247.html?CampaignType=GoogleShopping

10. Sep 25, 2019 at 12:56 PM
    Adam86

Adam86 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2011 Rock Warrior
    I did, that’s an option. They would ship to WA then I would have to of course pay to ship from their to AK. I’ll have to call some fright forwarders to see what that would cost.

Black Wolf, 15whtrd and ColoradoTJ like this.
  11. Sep 25, 2019 at 1:06 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Ah crap, forgot you live in the great state of Alaska.

I would be checking all options.

Wonder what a rebuild would cost if the cylinder walls are good? New pistons, bearings, valve train, etc.

Black Wolf and 15whtrd like this.
  12. Sep 25, 2019 at 1:10 PM
    773_eddie

773_eddie Trd Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Trd Pro
    12volt remote start, weathertec accessories, Trd Pro decals, Toyota console safe,VLEDS Puddle Lights,Frac Harness,TRD PRO front and Rear Sway Bar,NSV Hood Light Bar,ESP long box,AJT accessories,Thinkware U1000 dashcam, coachbuilder 1/3 Lift, HR LED’s,Pro comp Traction bars, JL complete System wit 2 10” subs, Kenwood DDX9907XR HU
    You need to get an estimate at another shop and PLEASE PLEASE IM BEGGING DO NOT TELL THEM YOU GOT A PRICE OF 17K cause if you told me I would give a great price of 15999 save you a 1k you can’t beat that.

The best way to save money is to do it yourself If you have the ability to remove the engine from the truck and take it to a shop to open it that will save you money but I will tell you if you have the ability and tools to remove the engine shit I’m sure you can rebuild it yourself all it takes is your time now if u don’t have time to do it then I’m sorry my friend your going to have to pay that’s life. Theirs plenty of info online and on this forum to guide you thru the whole thing I’m in your corner just like all the other members I will send you whatever info specs videos that you need to do the job

Trooper2 and Black Wolf like this.
  13. Sep 25, 2019 at 1:17 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I know I can pull an engine with the best of them. Take pictures and label everything. But I sure as shit won’t be rebuilding that engine myself LOL!

MS22, Tundyfundy, Black Wolf and 2 others like this.
  14. Sep 25, 2019 at 1:27 PM
    773_eddie

773_eddie Trd Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Trd Pro
    12volt remote start, weathertec accessories, Trd Pro decals, Toyota console safe,VLEDS Puddle Lights,Frac Harness,TRD PRO front and Rear Sway Bar,NSV Hood Light Bar,ESP long box,AJT accessories,Thinkware U1000 dashcam, coachbuilder 1/3 Lift, HR LED’s,Pro comp Traction bars, JL complete System wit 2 10” subs, Kenwood DDX9907XR HU
    Is not that hard partner we are in a new generation of information nothing is a secret anymore everything is right in front of you with a click of a button just imagine rebuilding engines and transmissions in the 60s.

It’s much easier to take that engine apart wen it’s out of the vehicle set up a video camera take pictures and u will never forget we’re something goes

You will need less tools to disassemble the engine than to remove the engine

Black Wolf and 15whtrd like this.
  15. Sep 25, 2019 at 1:50 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Oh I agree. Except when I was a kid there was more people around me that had the knowledge and would help me. I remember my buddies dad would teach us stuff like this. There was always someone to pass along the information first hand. I think what always hangs me up are the little tricks. I remember learning the trick of a dab RTV on the rear main seal if it was a two piece. Or not using the front/rear gasket on a Chevy intake manifold. Just a bead of RTV. I’m positive I can book things back together it’s just a sometimes intricate reassembling process to get everything right that makes me hesitant.
    I think I’ve been watching too much Horsepower TV! All the little tricks they do building engines can sometimes be intimidating.

Black Wolf likes this.
  16. Sep 25, 2019 at 2:59 PM
    773_eddie

773_eddie Trd Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Trd Pro
    Well if you decide to tackle this job you will have several hundred virtual buddies in the garage with you that’s the new world we live in now lol

Warbirds, jtwags, Black Wolf and 2 others like this.
  17. Sep 25, 2019 at 3:15 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    I've been to Bremerton, some of the coldest beer on tap I have ever had the pleasure of drinking :D

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Sep 25, 2019 at 3:22 PM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Adam I would still talk to Toyota, as this is rare. I know their not gonna cover 100% , but you'd be surprised that they might pick up some of the bill. Any help is a good thing in your situation. Good luck and hope it works out well :thumbsup:

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  19. Sep 25, 2019 at 3:32 PM
    Alaska

Alaska New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRD 4x4 ~Quicksand~
    Baja Designs Squadron WC fogs
    Adam. I feel your pain. It is tough getting parts and reasonable prices in Alaska... especially from Kendall in Anchorage. There are some options with freight forwarders in LA and Washington that might cut down on your expenses if you end up looking at buying an engine from the lower 48. Best of luck

20. Sep 25, 2019 at 3:52 PM
    Adam86

Adam86 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2011 Rock Warrior
    Appreciate it guys. Yeah I hear your point on not telling other shops Kendall’s quote haha. The majority of it was parts, over $13,000 and $4,000 for labor. A used engine is roughly $4200 for what I’ve seen up here and around $2000 for the instal outside the dealer. I asked about a rebuild and how it was explained to me was essentially it’s risky. The tolerances are so tight within the motor that even if something is bent or off fractions of an inch that can’t be seen with the naked eye it could lead to compression issues or other problems down the road. The shop owner stated it’s just a gamble spending $2-3,000 to rebuild it to potentially end up back in this same spot all over again. Now I’m no mechanic so I’m sure some of you have far more knowledge in this area than me. I’ve called a couple freight forwarders and would be looking at roughly $6-700 to ship a motor here from WA. I also called Toyota again to pressure them as much as possible with assistance on a repair. The person who started my claim was not available so I’m waiting to hear back still. If she doesn’t call back by the end of the day tomorrow I’ll call again.

specter208, rons23 and Blueknights75 like this.
  21. Sep 25, 2019 at 4:11 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    6-700 from Washington isn’t bad!!

That would be ~7k for used motor to be installed for the link I posted.

Tundyfundy likes this.
  22. Sep 25, 2019 at 4:15 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    I would raise hell with Toyota. You have nothing to loose. This failure at only 88k is almost unheard of. Seriously, keep calling Toyota.

23. Sep 25, 2019 at 4:41 PM
    Adam86

Adam86 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2011 Rock Warrior
    Agreed. I’m going to keep calling, as you mentioned I’ve got nothing to lose at this point so might as well. How Toyota reacts to this and the level of customer service I get will play huge in my decision to buy another Toyota again down the road. They already have one strike with this engine failure. Again I know it’s a fluke but that makes it no less irritating or expensive to fix.

24. Sep 25, 2019 at 4:43 PM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Raising hell is not the way to negotiate, kill them with kindness. Just my .02

25. Sep 25, 2019 at 4:52 PM
    Adam86

Adam86 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2011 Rock Warrior
    Well Toyota actually just called back. She stated again that IF they do assist with repairs it’s only up to $2,000, and as I kinda expected only if the work is performed at a dealership. The dealership won’t install a used engine and will only install a new one so looks like that’s unfortunately a dead end.

Black Wolf likes this.
  26. Sep 25, 2019 at 4:56 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Yep, bad luck Adam. I agree with the other posters. Keep calling Toyota. 88K and to have a valve spring fail?? Highly unusual with the 5.7L. No more junked moose wrecked tunny's around with less than a 119K motor? In most circumstances I'd agree with @ColoradoTJ but you don't have a lot of options up "there". Either find a good deal in WA and pay the freight charge or throw in the 119K and keep it and/or trade it in. Should still bring a decent trade in value.....or try private sale. My .02

27. Sep 25, 2019 at 4:58 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Well that sucks...

28. Sep 25, 2019 at 5:02 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    .....any members planning on driving up to AK soon and willing to haul a 5.7 up there???? Asking for a friend.....:anonymous:

29. Sep 25, 2019 at 5:05 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Winter is coming up...long dark dark days. Plenty of time to rebuild...
    Better than wasting time in the winter bowling leagues..heh...heh..

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  30. Sep 25, 2019 at 5:55 PM
    Adam86

Adam86 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2011 Rock Warrior
    Hahah yeah that’s true. I talked to the yard with the 119k motor and they actually just got a truck in with a 98k motor that has yet to be pulled. Not a huge difference but 10k over my truck beats an engine with 30k over. Either that or I hold out and wait for another one to come up but who knows how long that’ll be. Or there is the option of paying another $7-800 for an engine with 50k from WA. I guess it all boils down to if I want to get this truck running as inexpensively as possible and get rid of it, or keep it once it’s up and running again and hope a new engine is in good shape and installed correctly. Many many decisions to make. I had a buddy tow to and from the Toyota dealer with his F-150. We made a point to cruise nice and slow right in front of the building. Got a few dirty looks from some salesmen.

Trooper2 and Black Wolf like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top