1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5.7l engine air filter?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Tacogrande, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Apr 24, 2018 at 5:57 PM
    coopski

coopski New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Morgan Hill, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2015 trd crew
    looking for input on TRD air filter or AFE filter,
    aFe POWER 31-10247 Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]

2. Apr 24, 2018 at 6:04 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    To be honest those are all good filters. Pick your poison. Pick your poison. You just have to decide if you want to deal with oiling them.

3. Apr 24, 2018 at 6:12 PM
    coopski

coopski New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Morgan Hill, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2015 trd crew
    What would be the best non oiled filters.

4. Apr 24, 2018 at 6:16 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Best as a drop in high flow I would say Afe. If you’re looking for best filtration I’ve heard good things about S&B but I think you need to buy the whole intake.

JoshuaA likes this.
  5. Apr 24, 2018 at 7:16 PM
    1794TRD

1794TRD It is, what it is!

Member:
    Little Rock, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Super White II TUNDRA 1794
    TRD EXHAUST TRD INTAKE Lift 3” front 1.5” rear TRD SKIDPLATE UNIFLEX TRIFOLD BED COVER UNIFLEX SWINGBOX POP & LOCK POWER TAILGATE LOCK TUNDRA BED LIGHTS LED HEADLIGHTS / FOG LIGHTS / PUDDLE LIGHTS / INTERIOR LIGHTS WHITE DOOR HANDLES WHITE MIRROR COVERS TOYTEC BOSS REAR SHOCKS CRUX AVITY-01 VIDEO INTERFACE AJT KEY FOB COVER
    What’s wrong with K&N filters? Explain...

Mountun Goat likes this.
  6. Apr 24, 2018 at 7:23 PM
    Sandbox

Sandbox New Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 White TRD Pro Crewmax
    Some believe the Oil transfers to the MAF, at least thats what i think he's talking about? I had a K&N on my FJ and i did notice my MAF was always filthy and needed cleaning....I'll be going dry for the Tundy!

B737 and Mountun Goat like this.
  7. Apr 24, 2018 at 7:29 PM
    Baja Mike

Baja Mike Baja Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Bay, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD 4x4 SR5 white
    LED interior lights, Baja Designs foglights, Baja Designs S8 hood bulge light bar, LED bed lights, Baja Designs S8 amber bar in bumper on Rago Fab mounts, AMP Research bedstep, Switch Pros sp-9100, tinted door windows
    This. I used a light film of oil on the pre-filter and none on the actual filter element and the oil still clogged the MAF. I'm never using any type of oiled air filter again.

Mountun Goat and Sandbox[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Sep 17, 2018 at 2:08 PM
    SRM18TRD

SRM18TRD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 TundraTRDOR
    Stock
    I’m all for the OEM denso filter (17801-0P100). I will say, when I purchased a couple to have on hand; I had the parts guy thinking I was a nut. The rubberized foam gasket is pretty beat up looking on some of the filters I inspected. I looked at probably 10 filters and bought 2. Probably wouldn’t of made a difference but my OCD was triggered!! This denso is made in USA. The denso (17801-38051) for my 4RUNNER is made in Japan and the gasket is the same material but no defects found on the ones I looked at.

9. Sep 18, 2018 at 11:13 PM
    1BlinkGone

1BlinkGone New Member

Member:
    There is more to consider than oil on the MAF filter. For me, I will never again put any kind of Cotton Gauze filter (K&N or otherwise) on a street engine. They are great for maximum flow for race engines that are constantly being rebuilt; but for a street engine, they bypass too many particulates that will cause excessive engine wear, too fast. If you do an oil sample from an engine using the gauze media, you will see silicon and other levels unusually high. IMO if you have to by a HP aftermarket air filter, get a multi-layer (graduated) foam element. There was a independent filter test done some years back that tested them all...the best one for the balance of flow AND filtration?

The humble Delco paper filter element. If you aren't racing, stick with a quality pleated paper element.

Products Discussed in

To Top