1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5.7 Tensioners replaced and Camshaft tower resealed success (updated title)

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Dalandshark, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Apr 11, 2021 at 3:24 PM
    Dalandshark

Dalandshark [OP] Infected with 5G

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra SR5 5.7 Longbed
    Eibach Level LIft
    Hi,

On a mission to get rid of the rattling noise and reseal my camshaft towers. Posting this in General discussion due to engine specific and not year specific question.

There is slack in both of the passenger side timing chains. The Driver's side is tight which is opposite of what I expected based on youtube videos and other forum posts on this subject.

So, why is the slack on the opposite side of the tensioner for the longer chain? Is the timing off? Should I just remove the cam gears to do my riser sealant, and then worry about the timing later, or should I mark them as they are before removing?

Edit: disregard for now, thought it was at TDC but guess not. Also slack was just due to how it was rotated.

Second Edit: After all said and done, engine is much quieter and is not making the rattling noise, which was happening all the time. Once I figured out the timing marks it wasn't too bad a job but time consuming. Not sure yet why the engine is so varnished and had some sludge - there are two rather large gaps in maintenance records from the previous one-owner. This job is a Pain and I would much rather be changing timing belts in the 4.7 2uzfe engine which is one of the best engines ever built IMO (along with Chevy 4.3 V6 Vortec).

In regard to the tensioners - they seem to be designed to ratchet out to a firm position and after that, the oil pressure allows the plunger to move slightly in and out (mine was stuck). The new tensioner has a slightly larger oil port than the old one. I will add a picture to the thread.

IMG_1834.jpg
    IMG_1835.jpg IMG_1832.jpg
    IMG_1831.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    Vizsla, jeremyd and Sumo91 like this.
  2. Apr 11, 2021 at 6:25 PM
    Sumo91

Sumo91 Busy with projects

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM Tundra Platinum 4x4
    Bilstein 8112/8100 3.25in lift Dobinson leaf springs 2.1in lift Level8 MK6 wheels Big ole dent in bedside
    How many do you have on the truck? Curious as to what all that "dust" looking stuff is in the first couple pictures

3. Apr 12, 2021 at 6:23 PM
    Dalandshark

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    Eibach Level LIft
    There is about 140,000 miles. Haha, it is actual dust falling from the rubber padding that sits below the plastic engine cover.

Sumo91[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Apr 24, 2021 at 10:18 PM
    Dalandshark

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    Eibach Level LIft
    Well, finally got it all out back together. Now has P0300 random misfire code pending after revving up. Funny thing is when it was revved at 2500 it actually seemed very smooth. Idles rough and it did somewhat prior to my work.

Too dark and rainy so I called it a night.

Just hoping it’s a coil pack or loose or mixed up coil plug (or vvt solenoid - I think these are only ones that could be plugged in wrong).

I did also have a bad spark plug tube seal on one of the cylinders so maybe that coil is bad. Guess I’ll poke around tomorrow.

Edit/Udate: forgot to clean out the fouled plug tube and also plug in one connector that is mounted to the fuel rail, which I think controls the coils.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    Vizsla and ZappBrannigan like this.
  5. Apr 25, 2021 at 2:42 PM
    Dalandshark

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    Eibach Level LIft
    Oil port is bigger in new tensioner. Mine was stuck from all the gunk and varnish in my engine though. If your engine is noisy it is possible to unstick it via oil filler port in valve cover and/or inspection port on timing cover.
    95D01AC2-48C1-49BA-91E4-E222116B427A.jpg

Vizsla, Wynnded, JohnLakeman and 2 others like this.
  6. Apr 25, 2021 at 7:12 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Congrats on finishing a huge job successfully. I noticed the dark varnish film on everything, but that is after 140K miles. Care to share what brand/type oil you've been using?

jeremyd likes this.
  7. Apr 25, 2021 at 7:27 PM
    2turbz

2turbz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra Trd 4x4
    Looks pretty much what I would expect at 140k. There is a "new" high mileage mobil 1 full synthetic formulation out that promises to remove sludge in one oil change haha. Bold claim and likely just a marketing effort but just put it in my wife's 11' mdx with 109k with no complaints.

8. Apr 25, 2021 at 9:59 PM
    Dalandshark

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    Eibach Level LIft
    I have only owned it for 10,000 miles. The Honda dealer where I bought it changed it but I don’t think they changed the filter considering I had to destroy the cap to get it open when it was my turn.

The records indicate valvonline instant oil change as well as a Toyota dealer otherwise.

JohnLakeman[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Apr 26, 2021 at 5:54 AM
    blanchard7684

blanchard7684 New Member

Member:
    Fantastic thread.

Thanks for the great information.

I've seen front cover off of another 5.7 that had higher mileage (180k I think) and the original owner did all the maintenance and used Mobil 1 full synthetic and there was practically 0 varnish build up anywhere and he did 5000 mile OCI.

The level of varnish seen here to me indicates previous owner probably used the wrong oil for a good portion of that 130,000 miles.

JohnLakeman likes this.
  10. Apr 26, 2021 at 6:08 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    I suspect the PO knew little about required maintenance, and/or not too conscientious/particular about the truck's maintenance. They left the techs to make the decisions about what products to use. When the oil has been changed, I suspect your truck saw a lot of "house blend" bulk oil without too much discrimination re viscosity or type; i.e. conventional or synthetic.

My thinking is the varnish reflects the vaporization of the motor oil as in the "tests" Project Farm runs on YouTube. The more vaporization there is of the motor oil, the more likely varnish accumulates on every internal engine surface. Synthetic oil's tolerance for higher temps should help with the vaporization and varnish. I haven't seen that kind of varnish even with high quality conventional motor oil, but that is after 140K miles.

It's too bad we don't see more threads like yours that actually provides the community with real-life data on these OCI problems and the resolution. If your truck had been changed regularly at 10K mile intervals (we don't know, but suspect unlikely), I would begin to doubt the efficacy of the OEM recommended 10K OCI.

Great write-up. Thanks.

blanchard7684 likes this.
  11. Apr 26, 2021 at 6:12 AM
    blanchard7684

blanchard7684 New Member

Member:
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  12. Apr 26, 2021 at 6:18 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    @blanchard7684 Check your link. Appears to be an image I'd like to see.

13. Apr 26, 2021 at 6:19 AM
    blanchard7684

blanchard7684 New Member

Member:
    fixed....aws doesn't like to embed jpg apparently.

14. Apr 26, 2021 at 6:37 AM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    Doubt it was the wrong oil, or a certain OCI. More than likely oil changes were neglected, the 2 large gaps in the maintenance records support this.

15. Apr 26, 2021 at 8:06 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    :notsure: A simple click doesn't get it done.

Screenshot 2021-04-26 100333.jpg

16. Apr 26, 2021 at 2:53 PM
    blanchard7684

blanchard7684 New Member

Member:
  17. Mar 27, 2024 at 9:03 PM
    Ctaylor76

Ctaylor76 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chaz
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra Superpro
    BDS 4.5 inch coil over lift BDS UCA’s 35 inch ridge grapplers AT 20 inch methods with offset 5.29 Nitro Gears ARB rear air locker with dual stage air compressor RC switch panel Both bumpers are RC LED Bumpers (6 pods and lower LED light bar) AMP Research power steps Lower RC Tow hooks B&M Transmission Pan CSF Radiator Radium Duel Catch Can BDS recoil traction bars Helwig adjustable rear sway bar Retrax Power Trax tunnel cover NSV LED front light bar Morimoto XB LED Head lights DOOD Rear smoked LED Tail lights (Amazon) NSLUMA Smoked 3rd brake light (Amazon) Morimoto 4 Banger LED A pillar lights Boostautoparts LED tow mirrors w/ power fold (smoked black) Flowmaster outlaw cat back exhaust Steelworks Longtube Headers RC seat covers OEM Audio plus full sound system duel sub 13 inch Phoenix Automotive In dash screen Stater X remote start system Uniden R8 Radar detector Odyssey Extreme Battery RC Seat Covers RC Rubber Mat Bed Cover Full body color door handles & TRD Grille OEM Magnuson TVS2650 Supercharger (couple weeks out)
    Just an fyi about these type of tensioners even if the pressure or oil or whatever you wanna say happens the tensioner still has a lock on the outside so even if it locks with lack of pressure or no pressure or whatever it still has some play so that ticking sound is still going to be prevalent until you actually replace the tensioner.

now with that being said could we say shit oil changes or lack of pressure and sludge caused this sure. It’s a high mileage truck and we all know people don’t service every 5,000 miles. But, that in itself would not stop that tensioner from doing what it needs to do and that’s to keep the chain tight and from falling off.

the tensioner is shit , people with perfect oil changes see this common problem and it could happen to anyone.

Products Discussed in

To Top