1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5.7 Engine Failures?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by jeman022004, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Jan 6, 2020 at 10:34 AM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    Cam roller still spins smoothly? It probably does. If so then I'd suspect poor metallurgy and/or heat treatment somewhere in the spring.

I had a cam roller go out on a GM engine at 93K, end of that engine that got 3K oil changes on time every time.

It happens. : ^ )))

equin likes this.
  2. Feb 8, 2020 at 10:13 PM
    ABYotafan

ABYotafan New Member

Member:
    Lol at all the toyota homers in here. Ford sells 10x the amount of trucks as toyota of course your going to hear more about engine failures.

mind you i like both ford and toyota. I drive f150 with the 5.0 and wife has a 17 4runner. Next truck may be a tundra as long at Toyota doesn’t shit the bed on the new one.

3. Feb 9, 2020 at 4:19 AM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    Only one of those two companies made a car cheaper by $2.50 in the 70's leading to two of my friends dying in a fire when another vehicle rear ended them. Guess which company that was?

Only one of those companies choose to put out an extremely defective automatic dual clutch transmission leading to $Billions of repairs, buy backs and ultimately only of of those companies stopped making almost all of its cars.

Oh and only of those companies is found on the road dead very often, guess which one.

Only one of those companies do I own stock in the other I laugh at and am ashamed of too....hahah.

4. Feb 9, 2020 at 4:41 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    LOL...don't forget now: Only one car company survived the millennial melt down with no government help and no huge permanent corporate downsizing, guess which one? Said it before, say it again...Improbable as it may seem, they make crappy cars, but know how to count their beans well. Probably still considered a "Blue Chip" company. :rofl:

Johnsonman[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Feb 9, 2020 at 10:15 AM
    ABYotafan

ABYotafan New Member

Member:
    I don't recall Toyota's ever having issues where people died... oh wait they did. Our 2006 Tacoma had issues with sudden acceleration, and so has my wife’s current 4 runner... oh but wait its the gas pedal getting stuck under floor mats, impossible considering we have the laser cut max liners.

all vehicles have issues.
    Humans make them and humans aren't perfect.

6. Feb 9, 2020 at 10:25 AM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia

Well actually neither of these two companies needed any help during said meltdown. One had plenty of cash and lots of sales - they didn't even lay off one person due to sales slowdowns during the entire time. The others laid off tens of thousands....

The other was and is in an interesting position. The family only gets paid in dividends. If the company had chosen US govt protection and help it would have had to give up paying dividends at least until govt loans were paid back, if ever because the family would loose control of the board of directors. No dividends = no money to Ford family.

The two companies that did take all your federal tax monies and everyone else's are GM and Chrysler. Don't let me get started on all the senseless deaths they've caused, geez.....

7. Feb 9, 2020 at 1:00 PM
    Tileguy

Tileguy New Member

Member:
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tundra
    No failure so far on my 5.7 still running well. IMG_4457.jpg

8. Feb 9, 2020 at 3:52 PM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    Bull shit. Troll.

9. Feb 9, 2020 at 5:46 PM
    ABYotafan

ABYotafan New Member

Member:
    holy shit 89 deaths. Way more than I remember.

fucking ignorance here.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/toyota-unintended-acceleration-has-killed-89/

edit* just to state I'm not here to knock toyota. Just to add to the conversation that other car brands make excellent vehicle as well. I didn't realize how hospitable the regulars were here though, some have a veil over their eyes and choose to only see what they want.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  10. Feb 9, 2020 at 5:59 PM
    BTBAKER

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
  11. Feb 9, 2020 at 6:05 PM
    BTBAKER

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel

Wrong. Just don’t like some new comer rolling in and proceeding to post negative comments. Especially one who doesn’t even own and Tundra. You’re on a Tundra site. And I HATE lies. Not one reported sticking gas pedal on model year 2017 Toyota’s. NOT ONE. So save your verbal diarrhea.
    I appreciate all makers vehicles. I just don’t like trolls.

12. Feb 9, 2020 at 6:16 PM
    ABYotafan

ABYotafan New Member

Member:
    it was a one off. Thats why we didn't report it. Maybe i should though. I actually think its a software issue. Pretty freaky when your pressing on the break and your car is accelerating towards cars at a stop light. Never happened again.

don't call me a liar. You don't know me and i don't know you. But if your a typical tundra owner i sure as heck don't think ill fit into that rough and tumble crowd.

13. Feb 9, 2020 at 6:34 PM
    BTBAKER

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    Im actually pretty nice. I’m just calling you out on your crap. You’re posting garbage from 10 years ago and insinuating it’s a problem now. It isn’t.
    You didn’t come on here and introduce yourself. You just came here and found targeted threads to post your garbage. Don’t play your martyr game with me.
    If you’re truly interested in a Tundra, read and gain whatever info and knowledge you like and spare members from your trolling ways. You have contributed nothing positive.
    That’s all I have. Hopefully you will add something positive here.

14. Feb 9, 2020 at 6:45 PM
    computeruser6

computeruser6 Gott Mit Uns

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    Escondido
    Vehicle:
    2008 Regular Cab Tundra
    King 2.5 coilovers Nitto Exo Grapplers
    Actually, the "unintended acceleration" was independently verified by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory to be impossible and unable to be reproduced. The throttle would not go full open without operator command.

motor_drive.jpg Motor_results.jpg pwm_results.jpg nhtsa_observations.jpg

Tundyfundy and BTBAKER like this.
  15. Feb 10, 2020 at 6:05 PM
    ABYotafan

ABYotafan New Member

Member:
  16. Feb 10, 2020 at 6:40 PM
    BTBAKER

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    Go back to your Ford Forums.

17. Feb 10, 2020 at 6:41 PM
    BTBAKER

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    And just as I thought. Nothing insightful or useful from you, troll.

18. Feb 10, 2020 at 6:59 PM
    computeruser6

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    Escondido
    Vehicle:
    2008 Regular Cab Tundra
    What are you even talking about? Thousands of people die every year on public roads from operator error. Some people get the pedals mixed up and press the wrong one. Some people stack floor mats for some reason. Some people don't check the tire pressure and suffer tread and sidewall failures. People kill themselves all the time when carelessly operating complex equipment. Yes, lots of Toyota drivers killed themselves just as drivers of other brand's vehicles do as well. Like I said, the software and hardware components of the Toyota throttle control system were found to not open the throttle without operator command.

BTBAKER likes this.
  19. Feb 10, 2020 at 7:22 PM
    ABYotafan

ABYotafan New Member

Member:
    thats why every other vehicle manufacturer had recalls...

When my 06 was brought in for the recall. Unintended acceleration had occurred over 4x. They added a piece to the pedal and flashed the computer and added a new program... was that all for shits and giggles? Toyota was ordered to pay billions because of operator error.
    Some toyota fans are so blind they cant see facts and the truth.

I enjoy the ford forums. Less homers there.

20. Feb 10, 2020 at 7:26 PM
    BTBAKER

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    No, there’s tons of homers there. Many have jumped ship and reported as such. So, quit wasting your time over here and dig in to those Ford forums.

21. Feb 10, 2020 at 7:32 PM
    computeruser6

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    Escondido
    Vehicle:
    2008 Regular Cab Tundra
    Like I pointed out earlier, the software and throttle control system did not open the throttle without command. As far as the recall goes, it was for people who were not smarter than floor mats and "possible" sticking of the accelerator pedal (which means the operator still commanded throttle operation). The recall wasn't for shits and giggles, it was for people who were dumb enough to stack floor mats or in the extremely unlikely event of a pedal sticking and forgot that Neutral is still a gear. As I stated earlier, almost everyone who cried about unintended acceleration simply refused to accept responsibility for pressing the wrong pedal.

The Wall Street Journal - Oh What a Feeling! Study Pins Accleration Blame on Drivers

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    BTBAKER likes this.
  22. Feb 10, 2020 at 7:38 PM
    BTBAKER

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    You can’t win with the troll. He drives a f-150 and is spending his time on a Tundra forum. He even claims his 2017 4 runner did it!:thumbsup:

23. Feb 12, 2020 at 4:23 PM
    ABYotafan

ABYotafan New Member

Member:
  24. Feb 12, 2020 at 4:57 PM
    ABYotafan

ABYotafan New Member

Member:
    Not only did toyota cover up the FACT that they had a faulty design. They released news stories that it was driver error. When in-fact more recalls came in from cars without floor mats. It has been proven that it was not driver error.

funny how you guys keep drinking the cool aid. Call me what you want. Troll, or other wise, I have stated nothing but facts.

I do drive an F-150, but the very first truck I had ever driven was a T-100 and I went everywhere in I. Learned to off-road in it. Loved it. I also loved my 2003 F150 that I owned over 12 years and put 330k kms on it before I sold it for 6 grand. It was problem free except for the rear wheel seal and the rear end seal.

I love my 2017 F-150 which has had 2 recalls but nothing that put me on the side of the road. It has been flawless.

since this post is about engines, lets talk engines.

First car 77 Maverick. 5.0 V8. 350k+ kms
    never had a single engine problem. Ran like a top.

1993 Thunder bird 5.0 HO. 300k in it no issues. Sold it.

2003 5.4 triton V8 in the f150. Not a single engine problem over 12 years. Sold it for a great price.

2006 Toyota Tacoma. Sr5 4.0 V6 standard trans. Loved it. Sold it for 19k at 190k kms. No engine issues. Just 2 recalls (floor pedal and computer) and a tsb - rear leaf packs (terrible design)

now my 2017 F150 with a 5.0. 50k no problems just the carpet shielding recall. And block heater recall still own it.

and our 2017 4Runner. Flawless so far except for two rattles one in side window and other in front left wheel well.

next vehicle? Well who knows. I like F150 but I also like Tundra. Well see how the next gen tundra is and all the gremlins that come with a new design.

29760465-2D1D-4C1D-B344-4FB505297330.jpg 33FC8780-A933-4984-A244-38571CE13232.jpg

052A670F-7C83-4051-B960-4B789A7F50EC.jpg

3A1AD07E-274C-46D3-A438-D55E2C02DF85.jpg

Tundyfundy and equin like this.
  25. Feb 12, 2020 at 4:59 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
  26. Feb 12, 2020 at 5:25 PM
    Paulismydog

Paulismydog New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black Limited Double Cab
    Where was that last photo with the setter taken?

27. Feb 12, 2020 at 6:12 PM
    ABYotafan

ABYotafan New Member

Member:
    ah it looks like a setter. But its a nova scotia ducktolling retriever.

As to the photo

cypress hills Saskatchewan

28. Feb 12, 2020 at 8:04 PM
    computeruser6

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    Escondido
    Vehicle:
    2008 Regular Cab Tundra
    Funny, you seem to ignore all the facts that don't fit your view. Like I showed above, lots of people did lie about pressing the wrong pedal or stacking floor mats. Just because some litigious-happy lawyers got the verdict settlement/money they wanted in the U.S. doesn't mean what you're saying is true. As I posted above, here's what the NHTSA and JPL found about the Toyota throttle control system. Plenty of facts here if you want to read this instead of an op-ed:

nhtsa_observations.jpg

Wired - Operator Error Usually The Cause of Unintended Acceleration In Past Investigations

"Engineers investigating the Audi incidents couldn't find any evidence within the cars to support drivers' stories of unintended acceleration, Schmidt said. The same is true today: Investigators are unable to find evidence supporting drivers' claims their Toyotas suddenly raced out of control. One key difference today is the Toyotas in question use electronically controlled throttles whereas the Audis used mechanical linkages. Investigators continue to look into electronics and software related to the Toyota complaints.

Another interesting question is why fatalities stemming from these incidents appear limited to North America, even though Toyotas are sold worldwide. Der Spiegel notes there have been cases of unintended acceleration in Germany, but the drivers simply applied the brakes and brought their cars safely to a stop.
    "

careyrob and BTBAKER like this.
  29. Feb 12, 2020 at 8:53 PM
    ABYotafan

ABYotafan New Member

Member:
    Key word. Usually.
    But not in this case.

“Toyota says in the settlement that it misled Americans by making deceptive statements about the safety problems that caused its vehicles to speed up uncontrollably, a stark admission for a company that has built its brand on safety and reliability.

Early on, Toyota suggested that driver error was to blame, saying that some people may have hit the gas when they meant to hit the brake. Even after issuing recalls to address problematic floor mats that in some cases pinned down accelerators, the company hid a flawed gas pedal design that it knew did the same thing, according to documents accompanying the agreement.”

30. Feb 12, 2020 at 8:57 PM
    Blueline

Blueline New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeb
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD PRO crewmax
    Bakflip MX4
    Our 2019 Lexus RX350L has experienced unintended acceleration 3 times while using the adaptive cruise. For the time being, no use of adaptive cruise. It’s going to be looked at in March when I get the recall notice for the low pressure fuel pump. I’m not the only one that has experienced out of control acceleration.

Products Discussed in

To Top