1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4th Generation Tundra Redesign

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by The New Guy, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Apr 7, 2017 at 7:07 AM
    The New Guy

The New Guy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi guys, I'm new here so I don't really know what I'm doing but I have a question.
    I have spent quite a few hours the past two years researching the supposedly upcoming diesel
    Tundra. No one, I mean no body seem to know what their talking about, or even if there is ever
    going to be a diesel engined Tundra. Plus most of the sites look like they were translated from chinese by a third grader. Its frustrating. Is Toyota really that tight lipped? Or what's the deal?

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  2. Apr 7, 2017 at 7:20 AM
    040Tundra

040Tundra Teddy 2013-2019

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    040 '16 CM LTD 4x4
    A little of this and a little of that.
    Not to avoid your question but welcome from Las Vegas brutha! Someone will chime in. Probably @ColoradoTJ and I bet the answer is "there are no plans at this time for a diesel Tundra."

ColoradoTJ and NewImprovedRon like this.
  3. Apr 7, 2017 at 7:26 AM
    ej63090

ej63090 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    McHenry, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax SR5
    I'd bet on a hybrid truck before a diesel in the U.S. Especially in the Tundra.

TheBeast and Wynnded like this.
  4. Apr 7, 2017 at 7:41 AM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    And yes Toyota is that tight lipped about their upcoming products. No one had a clue what the new Tacoma was going to be like until they announced it at the auto shows. There will be no leaks until they are ready to announce it.

5. Apr 7, 2017 at 7:45 AM
    The New Guy

Member:
    Yea I Figured. No one suspected the early drivetrain upgrade on the '17 sienna.

6. Apr 7, 2017 at 7:49 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    The Toyota diesel is on the back burner.

I heard that a Toyota 5.0 is in the works . It is much stronger then the old 5.7 engine more powerful. And 8 or 10 speed transmission.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  7. Apr 7, 2017 at 8:26 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Toyota is not the US government. There are no leaks.

8. Apr 7, 2017 at 8:35 AM
    Krezz

Krezz Doesn't want to be new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Crewmax Hybrid TRD Pro
    Toyota uses Gorilla Tape... no leaks!

9. Apr 7, 2017 at 8:53 AM
    The New Guy

Member:
    I read that the 5.7 liter currently used is old technology for Toyota but that Dodge's equivalent was much longer in coming. Toyota supposedly designed this engine 8 years before competitors came out with any thing like it. If that's the case, Toyotas had plenty of time to engineer something ground breaking again, it seems.

040Tundra likes this.
  10. Apr 7, 2017 at 9:37 AM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    But why improve on something that isn't broken and known for reliability. I'd much rather wait a few more years on thorough R&D than slap on the newest and shiniest toys that end up breaking before 20K miles
    You can book it, the next upgrade (drivetrain, engine, etc) will be ahead of its time! (at least that's what i'm hoping.)

And on the diesel tundra......:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

11. Apr 7, 2017 at 9:44 AM
    BlueFalconActual

BlueFalconActual Field Day Inspector Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    29 Palms, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra-less
    I'd bet on port/direct injection tech a la Tacoma on the engine with the same 8 speed tranny that is on the Land Cruiser.
    I wouldn't count on the diesel. This is all just guesses, but the long rumored 5 liter diesel that is currently in the Titan XD has had horrible fuel economy ratings. Not many people would want to spend the thousands of extra $ for an engine that gets worse fuel economy than the current 5.7.

040Tundra likes this.
  12. Apr 7, 2017 at 10:36 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    No one knows yet. All speculation.

13. Apr 7, 2017 at 6:43 PM
    mudsweatngearz

mudsweatngearz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited TRD CM 2016, Tacoma TRD Sport, 2005 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Window tint
    Wouldn't want a stupid diesel anyhow

Joshua1271 likes this.
  14. Apr 7, 2017 at 7:49 PM
    AnonVet

AnonVet That's what she said!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Weatherford TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD SR5 CM
    7 inch pro comp 35x12.5 RPB Repulsars (Hate'em) 18x9 Rhino Glamis Bilstein 5100's TRD Pro grille Murdered out Spyder heads Smoked tails Leds all around her Debadged Go Rhino BR5 Front Bumper
    :worthless:
    I refuse to talk new gen until I see pics of a diesel

DalTee likes this.
  15. Apr 7, 2017 at 7:59 PM
    Conspiro-Agnew

Conspiro-Agnew New Member

Member:
    JBER, AK
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand SR5 TRD Off Road Tundra
    ZING!

DalTee likes this.
  16. Apr 8, 2017 at 3:28 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch

Well let us both look into this for a bit, and maybe you might buy a Tundra or buy something else. (not sure if you own one already)

First and foremost, what is the reasoning you want a diesel powered Tundra? Most want better fuel economy, towing power, etc.

So what do we have for options? Ram makes a CRD 1500. They get killer fuel economy when not at the dealership. Get on some of those diesel 1500 boards. That is usually a good time and amusement. Tow ratings are not all that impressive, and the capacity is pretty sickening. Well that is about it. Looks like Ford is coming out with a F-150 diesel, but not yet. GM only has 1/4 ton trucks with diesels.

So we can look at the Nissan Titan XD with the Cummins 5.0 V8 diesel. Numbers might sound good at 310 HP and 555 pound feet of torque with the current setup in the Tundra being 381/401. So you would think this Titan would kill the Tundra, and it might. I haven't seen any tow tests with the same weight except for the Titan XD diesel vs Gas tow test....which the gas motor out towed the diesel (pretty sad). So what is the issue with the Titan? Well, the Tundra is around 5600-5800 lbs where the Titan is 7400 lbs. That damn truck is heavy with low HP/TQ numbers. Now if the XD came with around 400 HP and 650-720 TQ, they would have a killer truck with some good ratings. Unfortunately they do not. These XD's totally missed the bar without adding exhaust/grade braking. So going down passes would suck more than its gas counterpart. Now for all this, you get to pay a premium price for lacking performance...

Just to show how pathetic this is, you might see I own a GMC 3500 Diesel, and no longer own a Tundra, but recommend them often to people that want an awesome "do all" truck in the half ton segment. My truck is at 6800 lbs, 397 hp/765 TQ, the Allison 1000 that needs no introduction and performs better than anything I have ever towed with, and a great exhaust brake. So this truck is lighter, has better capacity by far, more power/TQ, great grade braking, one of the most comfy interiors I have been in, for about 2000.00 more than this 1/2 ton Titan XD truck, and I am comparing the price to my 1 ton. A 3/4 ton can be had for a bit less and cheaper than the Titan XD.

So you have to ask yourself, why wouldn't I just buy a 3/4-1 ton truck and skip this BS? So that covers the Towing part.

Fuel mileage. So I have to be honest, I haven't really even broke mine in yet (4600 miles) and only had one tank that no work was done, but 4x4 was used for 15 miles or so (the locker rarely makes me need 4x4 in snow), and for 175 miles was in a National Park in the mountains at low speeds. That tank empty was 17.5 mpg. Not great, but if it was a constant highway driving I'm sure we would have broke into the 20's. While towing, I have been down to 11 mpg and a best of 14 mpg. Not awesome, but better than my Tundra...but not by much. Remember that.....

In closing, if you want a diesel, go out and get one. They are on the market today, just do your research and actually need it. A diesel is awesome, but it does come with some good downsides as well. However, you want a damn good truck, mod friendly (full exhaust has been getting 40+hp and 85 tq, the Supercharger is an option as well), that you can use every day, the Tundra is for you.

TheBeast, DalTee, RatPatrol and 6 others like this.
  17. Apr 8, 2017 at 7:05 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    All I hope is...... that they make a standard cab 4 x 4 in 35 years when I retire. Because that's what I want.

18. Apr 8, 2017 at 1:13 PM
    The New Guy

Member:
    Hey thanks for the info guys, especially ColoradoTJ. I don't need truck yet, but in a few years I will. I'm a big fan of Toyota's reliability and of their solid, well built vehicles. The new Chevrolet 3500HD's are awsome to. I know also wanted to hear opinions of people who know a lot more than I do. Any comments or a suggest of a thread are welcome.

ColoradoTJ likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top