1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4runner roof rack nightmare

Discussion in 'Other Toyota Vehicles' started by cctxquicksand, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Jan 14, 2021 at 8:51 AM
    cctxquicksand

cctxquicksand [OP] IG - TRDistheWrd

Member:
    Anyone have any experience with these?
    When I removed a pro rack off my wife’s truck the bolts would not budge! I had to use an impact to break them (this was my mistake apparently) and I discovered that Toyota put red loctite on all the threads! Wtf! Needless to say the white bushing/guides/seals (not really sure what they are) fell into the headliner. ‍♂️ FML
    upload_2021-1-14_10-48-38.jpg
    not my truck but you can see on the top where the nylon things are. The bottom show them fallen in exactly like all of mine have done.
    Any one here know the exact purpose of these? They seem to just be guides/ water seals. If that is correct what would be the downside of installing rivetnuts rather than dropping the headliner. Obviously there would be no coming back from widening the existing factory holes for rivet nuts so it would be my last option but just wanted to see what others thought about this situation. I already have replacement parts on the way but pulling the headliner seems like quite the undertaking

2. Jan 14, 2021 at 9:18 AM
    blackoutt

blackoutt YEAH BUDDY!

Member:
    Indy
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Long Bed - Old Man Tan
    OEM+
    you want to leave those inserts just floating around in your headliner? If it were me I'd say "oops" and start pulling the pillar covers off to drop the headliner. You might be able to get away with just pulling A and B pillars covers and reach up in there to fix it. You're going to want to reseal those bolt holes with a silicone type product on any aftermarket rack as well so nutsert vs. OEM insert doesn't matter. OEM seems like less work than drilling new nutserts and potentially damaging curtain airbags during which you should drop the headliner anyway.

cctxquicksand[OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 14, 2021 at 9:38 AM
    cctxquicksand

Member:
    I wasn’t sure as I didn’t really comprehend how these work but after see this picture
    upload_2021-1-14_11-35-26.jpg
    I know I have the bracket and the plastic doohickeys rolling around up there. Pulling the headliner seems to be the safer but more tedious option.

Since the parts are already ordered I may just take it to an upholstery shop and have them pull the liner, my fear is that I’ll crease it and they liners are out 1700 for a new

I just think Toyota could have had a better design for securing there racks but I’m no engineer

blackoutt and TheBeast like this.
  4. Jan 14, 2021 at 9:44 AM
    blackoutt

blackoutt YEAH BUDDY!

Member:
    Indy
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Long Bed - Old Man Tan
    OEM+
    It's because your 4runner is too new. When I pulled the rack off my 07 4runner there was enough grime packed in there that the inserts didn't drop into the abyss.

cctxquicksand[OP] likes this.
  5. Jan 14, 2021 at 10:00 AM
    Over the LINE

Over the LINE New Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM 4 x 4
    Toytec -Duratrac -Expedition One-Fab Fours
  6. Jan 17, 2021 at 5:19 PM
    cctxquicksand

Member:
    Thanks for all the feedback guys! Greatly appreciated. I ended up pulling the b pillar back and was able to get my hands in just enough to reattach the brackets. The fronts are a real p.I.t.a due to the airbag being right there but still doable.

happy wife happy life
    upload_2021-1-17_19-19-12.jpg

7. Jan 17, 2021 at 6:36 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    I won't even tell you what dumbass mistake I made to damage the wife's 2017 4Runner and all I did was back it away from the garage door. We traded it in a month later for the 2020.

Products Discussed in

To Top