1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

480watt 22" vs 390watt 22"

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by guinness77, Oct 2, 2022.

1. Oct 2, 2022 at 8:32 PM
    guinness77

guinness77 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra SR5 Double cab 6.5' bed.
    None yet
    Has anyone seen the difference in light output? If so, how noticeable is it?

Also,
    One of the two are going onto a 2022 Tundra. Can the electrical system handle it? (They both come with DOT approved wiring harness with fuse, relay, and switch.

Thanks

2. Oct 2, 2022 at 8:33 PM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    I'd do both, front/back.

3. Oct 4, 2022 at 10:21 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Staff Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited MGM CrewMax
    I'll assume you're talking about light bars? If so, that is an absolutely incredible amount of draw for something that small. The highest end 50" bars on the market don't even pull that much. Do you have links to said products?

Tundra234 likes this.
  4. Oct 4, 2022 at 11:24 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    +1 on links. @memario1214 can hook you up with some good lighting stuff.

5. Oct 4, 2022 at 11:40 AM
    guinness77

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    None yet
    LED Light Bar 22 Inch 479W 52690LM Tri-Row Spot Flood Combo Led Work Light Off Road Driving Fog Lamps Boat Lighting w/Wiring Harness, Fit for Jeep Truck SUV ATV UTV Pickup Tractor
    https://www.amazon.com/oEdRo-Drivin...mzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

LED Light Bar Curved Quad-Row 22Inch 520W Spot Flood Combo Led Lights Work Lights Fog Driving Light Off Road Light with Wiring Harness Fit for Pickup Jeep SUV 4WD 4X4 ATV UTE TruckTractor
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q37KYG...&pd_rd_r=7ac6897f-e467-4369-97b3-41956e5f1e3d

22" LED Light Bar DakRide Triple Row 390W Flood Spot Combo Beam Off Road Lights with Rocker Switch Harness Wiring for Trucks ATV UTV Jeep Boat Pickup
    https://www.amazon.com/DakRide-Trip...mzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

6. Oct 4, 2022 at 12:17 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Staff Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited MGM CrewMax
    Okay... so it looks like you've kind of already had this discussion in another thread about "light bar questions", but I didn't pipe in there so I will reinforce it here. None of these bars you have listed will perform well because there is almost zero attention paid to optics on any of them, and none of these bars are pulling EVEN CLOSE to the numbers that they are indicating that they do. If you had to make me guess I would say that the maximum that any of these light bars is actually pulling in terms of power is 120W... And that number is generous. Those numbers that are being splashed up there are the theoretical maximums of outputs based on simply adding up the number/max wattage of the LED chips inside of the light bar housing itself. They are not being pushed at even a fraction of what each chip's maximum is because the circuit boards couldn't handle it, the LEDs are cheap, and the heat sinks on the backs of these units are tiny. They would burn themselves up in a matter of minutes if they were driven 100%.

Off of my soapbox now for a moment - If someone were to say I don't care about any of that other stuff what is the best light bar right here I would probably buy the first one on the list. It appears to have the best heat-sink setup and it also sets the individual LED chips back into individual buckets that at least makes an (although paltry) attempt at focusing and aiming the light. I advise you to not buy any of them, but it's not my money. I just hate to see someone spend perfectly good money on something that performs so poorly. And then slap it on a $50k+ truck.

7. Oct 4, 2022 at 4:38 PM
    guinness77

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    None yet
    Thank you for your input. I genuinely appreciate it. In this thread I was just wondering about wattage that the trucks electrical system could handle. No one addressed that in the previous thread. So I made another specific to that question.

8. Oct 4, 2022 at 4:56 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    To piggyback on what he said, the cheaper lights that are thrown together without optics that are correct or aligned just scatter light making it mostly unusable. You will be much happier doing it the right way the first time. Its just like painting a chrome grill and surround...it doesn't work out well most of the time. Some of the top of the line include Rigid, Baja Designs, Diode Dynamics to name a few. On the lower end the Rough Country bars aren't bad. Some guys have had descent luck with Auxbeams as well. You can get some really good lights and they vary in price range, so you don't have to go the most expensive route to get a quality setup. @memario1214 won't steer you wrong with a selection. He has become our go to guy here in the forum for lighting.

Products Discussed in

To Top