1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4 Inch Lift vs. 3/1 Level

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Tiger Tundra, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Mar 13, 2016 at 7:03 AM
    Tiger Tundra

Tiger Tundra [OP] New Member

Aug 12, 2015
    2015 Tundra TSS Off Road
    Hello all,

I'm trying to work ahead on some suspension and tire upgrades. My truck only has 15k miles on the stock tires but I'm trying to research ahead of time so that I will be ready when the time comes to change tires. What I'm looking for is three things:
    1. Slight lift
    2. Level
    3. Tires that will fill the well and sit flush with or just outside of fender flares.

I've got a 2015 TSS off road 4x4 and would like to keep the 20 in wheels that came on it if possible. What would be the best route to achieve above goals?
  2. Mar 13, 2016 at 1:21 PM

bobeast really old member

Feb 11, 2015
    First Name:
    Hollister, CA
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar, - HID Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards, - Headlight leveling retrofit - P1 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall. - 3/1 leveling kit - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling, - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock (soon) - Remote Tailgate mod (soon) - LED Headlights (soon) - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit
    I can't speak to the question of "best" as I've only tried one setup. I have the 3/1 Rough Country spacer kit (with Diff Drop). Shoes are 285/65 R20 KO2's. I'm mostly happy with this setup, but I'm thinking of putting a stiffer sway-bar on the front from a Sequoia and a TRD rear sway bar. I have more body roll than I would like.

General consensus seems to be to stay away from spacer lifts if you are going over 3" and/or you intend to do any moderate to serious off-roading.
  3. Mar 13, 2016 at 1:49 PM

chphilo New Member

Dec 3, 2014
    Western PA
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    There have been several reports of failure of front struts due to leveling spacers (some of these were from simply going over a pot hole). Then again, there are some members who have been using spacers for years without an issue. General consensus. however, seems to be that spacers make the truck less capable (on and off road) than stock. (People get them for looks)

If you want to use stock wheels and have the tires to poke out beyond fender flares (I am assuming pocket style ones), you will need some wheel spacers. If you make them poke out too much, you will have rubbing problems (which limits the size of the tires you could install), unless you are willing do some serious cutting.
  4. Mar 13, 2016 at 3:40 PM

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Jan 6, 2014
    First Name:
    Broomfield, CO
    2012 Rock Warrior 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    For lift I highly recommend going with a new coilover lift. This can be achieved with a Bilstein 5100 front shock that has set adjustments to give lift. This will level the truck ~2" up front.
    Or go with a fully adjustable coilover like the Toytec Ultimate or Boss kit for a 3" front and 1" rear lift. I run the Ultimate kit and like it a lot. No issues.

Your wheels have +60 offset. You need to be around +20 to get to flush with the fender with 11.5-12.5" wide tires. For this you will need 1.25" wheel spacers. Spidertrax and Bora are the top brands. I run Spidertrax without issues.
To Top