1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4.7L Flywheel Removal (socket type and size)

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by JesterSmith, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Mar 8, 2018 at 11:58 AM
    JesterSmith

JesterSmith [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JesterSmith
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tundra Limited 4.7L
    2.5" Rancho Quicklift, 18" RTX Steppe Off Road wheels, 33" AT tires, Pacesetter headers and Dynomax performance exhaust.
    I bought a used 4.7L engine with 150km that has been sitting for a while and I'm ready to put it in but I'm thinking of replacing the rear crank seal as a precaution. It doesn't show any signs of previously leaking but I'm worried it may have dried up.

Does anyone know the exact type and size socket to use to remove the flywheel bolts? It looks like it may be a regular 10 point socket, but it could be something else.

Thanks!

2. Mar 9, 2018 at 4:47 AM
    zombie

zombie Master at Something

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black DC 4x4
    Do they have 6 points? Use a six point socket. Or are they the 12 point bolts? Use a 12 point socket.

BestGen likes this.
  3. Mar 9, 2018 at 8:54 AM
    JesterSmith

Member:
    First Name:
    JesterSmith
    Vehicle:
    2.5" Rancho Quicklift, 18" RTX Steppe Off Road wheels, 33" AT tires, Pacesetter headers and Dynomax performance exhaust.
    Yeah, they are 12 point and I tried a 14mm 12 point socket and there's a lot of movement / play (13mm won't go on). You'd think it would fit snug for that amount of torque, no? Maybe it is the type / brand of socket I'm using. The points are rounded and I've seen others out there with real sharp points.

4. Mar 10, 2018 at 3:09 AM
    zombie

zombie Master at Something

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black DC 4x4
    Well they don't make a 13-1/2mm. Could be they are inverted Torx. Alias star sockets. That is a special socket. I have a set myself. I doubt it is standard like 1/2" or 9/16" What ever it is, has to fit on tight. When you get these off, and re-install, make sure you use red locktight on the threads, torque to spec in a star pattern, snug, tight, very tight, then torque spec. Never torque one bolt at a time, same goes with your tires. Star pattern always.

5. Mar 10, 2018 at 9:55 AM
    JesterSmith

Member:
    First Name:
    JesterSmith
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I'll have a look at those other sockets. I was thinking eTorx as well but I haven't seen one yet with that many points at the store. I think you are right about it being a specialty one. I'll have a look at the Alias. Good advice, yes -- I put that shit on everything. Thanks! :)

Products Discussed in

To Top