1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4.6L water pump

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by bryand, Jun 26, 2024.

1. Jun 26, 2024 at 9:19 PM
    bryand

bryand [OP] New Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2010 4.6L 2wd DC Black
    Bilstein 5100
    2010 4.6L 2wd. 230k miles or so. Got home tonight, truck was fine, no lights on the dash and drove normally. Took stuff inside and by the time I got back there's a huge puddle on the driveway, all the coolant is draining out of it. It was empty within 10 minutes or so. Best we can tell it's the water pump. For a few weeks now I'd been hearing a rattle that I thought was the fan but I guess it was the pump slowly giving up.

I'll call and get prices from a shop, but I'd have to have a tow truck or a friend get it there. How long of a driveway job would this be? I think it's a little above what I'm comfortable with, I have some friends that are more mechanically inclined but with jobs and kids and stuff I hate to ask anyone to help with an all day job, not to mention it's been close to 100F here. But if it shouldn't take too long I may go that route.

2. Jun 30, 2024 at 4:14 PM
    blackdemon_tt

blackdemon_tt Battery Slayer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 5.7l Tundra DC SR5 long bed 2wd
    TRD Sway Bar, Roll covers USA bed cover
    This is not hard. under 100F, Grab an umbrella. Took me about 12 hours first time, but I kept losing my 10mm so I had to go look for another one. Did this after a graveyard shift with 2 hours of sleep.. Challenging part is removing the fan, but once its out. it gets easier from there.

bryand[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 7, 2024 at 5:03 PM
    bryand

bryand [OP] New Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2010 4.6L 2wd DC Black
    Bilstein 5100
    Thanks. Went for it, with a canopy and a fan on the driveway it wasn’t bad, and it’s back in action. Spent about $700 on a water pump, radiator, tensioner, belt, thermostat, and Toyota coolant, and maybe 10 hours over three days. Shop quote was around $1600 for just the pump.

Fan was the worst part, the last nut on it starting rounding off on me. Struggled for a bit to get that one loose. Everything else was pretty easy.

blackdemon_tt likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top