1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

38 gallon tank??

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Noodle, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Jul 29, 2016 at 12:06 PM
    Noodle

Noodle [OP] That Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Files creek
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Limited TRD DC Inferno
    Ive got a 2016 Tundra DC with the towing package. According to my window sticker, and what ive read on here the 38 gal tank is part of the towing pkg. Yesterday my low fuel light came on pulling into the parking lot at work. I had planned on filling up before heading to the beach anyway no biggie. According to the display it said 15 miles to empty when I filled up and I was only able to get 30.7 gallons in. So when does the low fuel light come on and how can I tell for sure if I have the 38 gal tank??

2. Jul 29, 2016 at 12:16 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    When the gauge reads empty, there's about 6 gallons left. It supposedly needs it to keep the pump cool.

ToyotaTundraMike and Noodle[OP] like this.
  3. Jul 29, 2016 at 12:18 PM
    Netmonkey

Netmonkey Don't be a Dumbass

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Texas Edition, 5.7, CM, MGM
    Icon stage 2 lift, 295 60 20 nitto ridge grapplers, fuel kranks, TRD dual exhaust, TRD rear sway bar
    the 38 gallon tank is standard on the limited and platinum trims. it is also part of the sr5 upgrade package if you have the sr5 trim.

for me, the low fuel light comes on when there are 8 gallons left in the tank. when I first got the truck, the distance to empty display was way off. now, it is closer to actual, but it is still less than what I have left in the tank. I consider any calculation on that display to be an estimate. I always calculate my MPG on every tank so I know how far I can travel. when the low fuel light comes on, I know I have about 128 miles left in the tank.

if you put 30 gallons in the tank, you have the 38 gallon tank :)

4. Jul 29, 2016 at 12:28 PM
    Noodle

Noodle [OP] That Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Files creek
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info guys. I had never ran it that low before so I was expecting a 36 gal or so fill up. When it only held 30 I was thinking maybe I had a smaller tank.

5. Jul 29, 2016 at 2:16 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    I've gone thru the same thing every time I fill up. Math never adds up to 38 gallons in the tank. One time I stopped to fill up with 35 miles to go. With a guesstimate of running at 15 MPG, that would be approximately 2 gallons left in the tank. Expecting to pump in 36 gallons, I only pumped in 30ish. Also, with 38 gallons at 15 MPG, I would expect distance to empty to be closer to 570; I only get 500 at every fill up.

So I just remember that I hate math, ignore it and move on with my life and just enjoy the truck. . . ;)

TheBeast and rons23 like this.
  6. Jul 29, 2016 at 3:39 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I would love to have this problem of only getting 30 gallons on a fill up.

7. Jul 29, 2016 at 3:59 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    First world problems, TJ. First world problems. What can I say? :rofl:

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jul 29, 2016 at 4:32 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    My next truck will have a bigger tank... That is for certain.

9. Jul 29, 2016 at 5:02 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Yeah, me too. I went dirtbiking 2 weeks ago in Northern Nevada. Stopped in Fernley, NV, to fill up and was following a friend to his secluded riding spot. He said the place we were going to was "a coupla" hours away. First we drove through Indian reservations, then got on gravel highways, then dirt roads, more gravel roads, then narrower dirt roads. About 3 hours later, we finally get there. I think we were like 20 miles from Oregon and I didn't see a single open gas station along the way. I look at my gas gauge and it's under 1/2 tank. Oh shit. So we ride our bikes and quads all day long and when we were done, we dump all the extra bike fuel we had left into my truck. Gauge is still reading slightly under 1/2 tank. Oh shit. We take off for Fernley and I'm stressing the whole way. About 30 minutes out of Fernley I get 0 miles to empty. Now I'm worried about running out of gas and burning out my fuel pump. We finally get there okay, but that was some unnecessary stress I just went through. Our little 26 gallon tanks are bullshit.

10. Jul 30, 2016 at 2:48 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Damn good thing you had fuel for the dirt bikes that was left over. On remote locations, or the unknown I usually carry extra fuel.

11. Aug 4, 2016 at 8:26 AM
    GayFish

GayFish Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2016 Super White SR5 CM 5.7L 4X4
    I have a 28 gallon tank, when I fill from the fuel light being it takes about 30 gallons. First time this happened I thought the gas station pump was wrong, but it's happened a few other times as well. I think you have a 28 gallon tank which probably doesn't completely account for all the space in the tank and filler neck

Edit**** I'm dumb, SR5 upgrade package adds the 38 Gallon Tank. The window sticker doesn't indicate this, so if you go by that, it gives the impression that it came with the 28 Gallon that usually comes with the SR5.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  12. Aug 4, 2016 at 8:54 AM
    Netmonkey

Netmonkey Don't be a Dumbass

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Texas Edition, 5.7, CM, MGM
    Icon stage 2 lift, 295 60 20 nitto ridge grapplers, fuel kranks, TRD dual exhaust, TRD rear sway bar
    the 2016 tundras come with either a 26 or 38 gallon tank. not sure where you are getting the 28 gallon size from.

13. Aug 4, 2016 at 9:02 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    When in doubt about gas availability: [​IMG]

FirstGenTundra likes this.
  14. Aug 4, 2016 at 8:55 PM
    Relentless

Relentless Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    East of the Sierras(Reno), Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 Crewmax TRD 4x4> '15 Duramax SLT
    Just a few, more to come
    My fuel light would come on at about 20 gallons with the 26 gallon tank, zero miles to empty on the display and there'd still be a good 4 gallons left.
    Towing and getting 8-10mpg and going across rural nevada was not my favorite thing. After upgrading to the 46 gallon transferflow oversize tank and couldnt be happier! really nice being able to go 400 miles while towing and not having to stress where the next gas station is, and going 2 weeks of my normal driving around town between fill ups is nice too.

SouthBoundSteve likes this.
  15. Aug 4, 2016 at 9:31 PM
    2cID

2cID New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 crewmax 4x4
    Car seat covers
    May wanna fact check but I think the front bench seat eliminates the larger tank option....not sure why but I've heard those alligations

16. Aug 4, 2016 at 10:55 PM
    Noodle

Noodle [OP] That Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Files creek
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I have a Limited with the towing package, I still have the window sticker which states 38 gal tank. According to my display it said 15 miles to empty and I was only able to get 30 gals in it which made me think I had a smaller tank.

KalaMazoo likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top