1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3 year/30k extended warranty for $1800...worth it?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Amh1802, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Jun 30, 2017 at 11:50 PM
    Amh1802

Amh1802 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I just bought 2012 Toyota tundra 117k miles the Toyota dealership is offering a extended warranty for three years or 30k miles for $1800 normally 2500$ should I get it. Do you think I will use it? I need some advice this is my first post. Thanks for listening

NewImprovedRon and DalTee like this.
  2. Jun 30, 2017 at 11:53 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    It's really hard to say without seeing the truck up close. Tundras last really well, when cared for. Extended warranty might pay dividends if the previous owner/s didn't take great care of it or if it's coming from an area where they salt the roads.

kenomouth64 likes this.
  3. Jul 1, 2017 at 12:39 AM
    kenomouth64

kenomouth64 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tetrus
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tundra Sr5 4x4 (TRD Off Road) Crewmax 5.7L
    Hold the Line! If you are not holding the line, abandon your ship. Destruction is inevitable without more to hold the line!
    I got the "dealership extended warranty" on my Tundra when I purchased it. My truck had 124k miles and was 9 years old. It had over 32 service records for various maintenance items and a few 'oddball' issues. It was like $1400 for the silver package, which just covered major drivetrain components (All internally lubricated parts, Engine, Transmission, Drive shaft, Differentials). It is only good for 2 years and 24k miles. It will be expiring soon...

I regret getting it, as it was quite unnecessary and usually it is not a 'very good' warranty. At least that has been my experience!

The only issues I have had, would not have been covered under the warranty anyway, additionally it was like a $250 deductible before they started paying for anything. I know... It is an awful warranty, lol.

The issues I have had so far are the following:
    Replaced Serpentine Belt/tensioner - This is really just routine maintenance. $100
    Replaced a Leaky water pump - This was a little sooner than I expected but it was not a difficult job. $140
    Replaced the Fan clutch - It was barely spinning causing the AC to not cool well at a stop. $120
    Replaced the Fan clutch relay - I had to take it to a AC shop for a diagnosis, luckily all they charged me for the diagnosis and new relay was $100

So as you can see, even if I had the 'Gold" warranty it would not have paid off yet. Since I am somewhat mechanically-inclined, it has not been much of an issue.
    I do not anticipate any further issues for a while on the Tundra. BTW it currently has 145,000 Miles.

4. Jul 1, 2017 at 3:06 AM
    Tundraplatinum

Tundraplatinum New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum CM
    Don't waist your money. Most of those warranties are a joke. I deal with them all the time at work, only ones that are decent are ones directly from manufacturers but I would still just save your money.

kenomouth64 and TheBeast like this.
  5. Jul 1, 2017 at 4:42 AM
    too tall

too tall New Member

Member:
    Buy better/more beer instead.

rons23 likes this.
  6. Jul 1, 2017 at 8:31 AM
    DalTee

DalTee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dal
    Vehicle:
    2011 SuperWhite CrewMax Limited
    Extang Folding Tonneau, 20 percent tint, TRD dual exhaust, BedMat, Stubby antennae, Bully Hitch Step, AVS Window Shades
    Yes. Yes. Yes. Get it. I had two big ticket repairs on my truck. I wasn't gonna get it but my daughter said "Dad, I feel like hearing you complain in two years just get it." She was right.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  7. Jul 1, 2017 at 9:25 AM
    JC303

JC303 Same same but different

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Aurora, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra 5.7
    A warranty is nice to have when u need it. What are the details? How much is the deductible? $1800 seems high. see if they will take $1400 for peace of mind. I had an extended warranty on a Volvo and it was a $0 deductible and easily paid for itself but that was not a Toyota!

DalTee and NewImprovedRon like this.
  8. Jul 1, 2017 at 10:34 AM
    Justin9

Justin9 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement TRD Pro
    If you buy it you will never use it, but if you don't get it the chances are you will have something go wrong. If the truck looks like it's in good condition and taken care of I would pass. + 30,000 miles aren't very many depending on how much you drive.

JC303 likes this.
  9. Jul 1, 2017 at 5:32 PM
    Tufftruck

Tufftruck New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Bronze 1794
    Years ago I bought a used Suburban for work and the premium extended warranty. Had a major engine issue. Spark plug broke apart and trashed a piston. The adjuster after viewing all parts at the dealership claimed a foreign road object had entered the system allegedly through the air intake despite there was zero evidence. Claim denied. The dealer was furious the claim was denied and dropped the warrant company. I filed a small claim action in the local court. The day after the papers were served, the warranty company called with a settlement. Two points (my opinion)...those warranties aren't worth the paper and the companies won't spend the money to fight you in court since it's less costly to settle. Read it carefully, there are so many things that are not covered.

kenomouth64 and NewImprovedRon like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top