1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2WD Low Mod?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by 53flattie, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Oct 7, 2015 at 11:44 AM
    53flattie

53flattie [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CM 4WD
    2.5" / 1.5" leveling kit ; 275/70/18 BFG AT/KO's
    Has anyone attempted this yet on a 3rd Gen Tundra?

I had it on my 2nd Gen Tacoma and it was very handy for moving my camper around. But, it was a pretty intricate job and I would have never attempted it without detailed wiring diagrams/instructions from TW. That said - I'm not capable of being the first to do it!

And I have to admit that the torque curve of the 5.7 is such that I might not ever need 2-Lo, but I figured I would ask anyway...

2. Oct 7, 2015 at 2:32 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I've thought about it, but I've never read anything about it being done. I did it on my Tacoma as well, but it had a manual transmission. My motivation was like yours, for trailer moving and the like and to save on the clutch while doing so. I suspect that with the low 4.30 ratio in the final drive of the Tundra, and the fact that they're all automatic transmissions, do it would be kinda moot.

3. Jan 9, 2016 at 7:44 AM
    07tacoswb

07tacoswb New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Super White Tundra Crewmax XSP-X
    I have thought about it but not sure it's needed. I created and put the diagram on TW for the tacoma. I took the switches off the tacoma when I sold it. I have been thinking about it. I may research this truck if I can find a wiring diagram for the 4wd ecu.

4. Jan 9, 2016 at 9:19 AM
    07tacoswb

07tacoswb New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    So I have found a 4wd wiring diagram and it looks like the diagram that I made for the Tacoma will possible work just the same for the Tundra. Looks like the same wires exist on the Tundra just like the Tacoma. The Tundra may even use the same add control and 4wd ecu as the Tacoma. Now I will need to locate the 4wd ecu on the truck. If this is the case you could 2wd low this truck just as easy as the Tacoma. I will do some more research and report back.

5. Jan 11, 2016 at 10:51 AM
    07tacoswb

07tacoswb New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    So I believe that I have the wiring diagram made again for this truck. I just need to find the 4wd ecu and test out my diagram to make sure it works like it did in the Tacoma. I'll keep you guys posted.

6. Jan 18, 2016 at 12:57 PM
    53flattie

53flattie [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CM 4WD
    2.5" / 1.5" leveling kit ; 275/70/18 BFG AT/KO's
    You're a smarter man than I! But thank you for working on this. I look forward to hearing how this pans out.

7. Jan 18, 2016 at 1:07 PM
    07tacoswb

07tacoswb New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Both my kids were sick this past weekend so I was unable to work on this. Hopefully this weekend I can find that ecu. I think it's behind the glove box like on the Tacoma but to the side instead of above it.

Products Discussed in

To Top