1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen JBL - adding 10" screen and cameras - need tips & tricks

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by pbeseda, Mar 30, 2024.

1. Mar 30, 2024 at 7:37 PM
    pbeseda

pbeseda [OP] New Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 DC 5.7 4x4 Long Bed
    Hey team, I'd like to upgrade to a 10" screen + CarPlay in my 2007 Double Cab with JBL (no navigation). I also have steering wheel controls.

I have an existing backup camera but it's installed as a tiny flip down from the dome light area.

I watched this video and feel like I'm on the right track.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9DWNPmEYv8

Things I'm trying to accomplish:
    • Install new stereo unit - use wireless Apple CarPlay
    • Maintain steering wheel controls of audio and telephone functions
    • Connect existing backup camera to new stereo unit
    • Install new front camera (recommendations?)
    • Connect front camera to new stereo unit
    Questions I have:
    • Will I have some wiring to do in order to use the existing camera with the new stereo?
    • Can I use the existing factory microphone with the new stereo? or should I install the new one?
    • What should I do with the old camera screen flip down? (can upload photos of this)
    • Did I see somewhere that is is possible make a OBD / USB connection for use on the Android based stereo?
    Open to any and all ideas. Also open to providing photos and write-up of my process if there is interest. Seems like there's lots of good info out on Youtube, so just checking with forum members before I get started. TIA.

2. Mar 30, 2024 at 11:15 PM
    Gravy

Gravy Cat herder, ASCM #π

Member:
    Yucaipa, California
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC 4x4, Limited TRD
    OME Nitrocharger/2612 (front), Bilstein 5100s (rear). Vanguard roll bar modified (by me) to fit over Patriot Stealth retractable tonneau. Aftermarket halo headlights with HID, various LED bulb replacements. 17" Fuel Blitz wheels with some 33" Nitto terra grapplers. Hoodscoop, nfab nerfbars, Bushwacker flares. No-name aftermarket grille, led fender extensions. Black Horse bambi-basher. Various offroad lights.
    I've installed quite a few Chinesium android units now so I'll help you as I can, but it will depend on the unit you purchased.

Existing OEM camera wiring: It depends, most units don't seem to care and its just a matter of selecting the right video input format. I did have one that required a voltage converter to use the oem cam/wiring, but can be bought cheap.
    Factory microphone: You should be able to but it might require a connector adaptor. Check crutchfield and idatalink
    Old camera screen: That's on you. :D
    OBD/USB: Yeah, but just cheaper to buy them. Most just use a cheap wireless/bluetooth one.

Be aware that the cursed JBL wiring is probably going to cause some issues. It might depend if you have the jbl/oem amplifier. Your audio will sound fine, but if you use the optional "jbl/canbus" harness you might run into the same problem I had which is your front door speakers not working properly. Since the audio was still good in the truck, I left it alone. Eventually I got around to trying to figure out wtf, since it happened with EVERY chinesium headunit. Seems the JBL wiring issue was too much hassle to fix properly, so on literally every jbl/canbus harness they left out 2 of the audio channels lol. There are multiple workarounds for this depending on how much work you want to do vs money you want to spend.

pbeseda[OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 31, 2024 at 7:49 AM
    pbeseda

pbeseda [OP] New Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 DC 5.7 4x4 Long Bed
    Going ahead with this unit: ViaBecs

I haven't checked on the amplifier yet - will update when I find out what I have. The product description for the Android unit says it comes with a harness that is compatible with the JBL system (CAN005-X ??). Didn't know the JBL wiring was cursed. Hope I can figure it out!

Usually with electrical and audio I'm happy to do more work, not happy to spend more money - so we'll see how it goes! Thanks for the tips. Everything arrives this week. I'm also replacing cracked radiator / hoses, so that comes first.

4. Mar 31, 2024 at 2:52 PM
    Gravy

Gravy Cat herder, ASCM #π

Member:
    Yucaipa, California
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC 4x4, Limited TRD
    OME Nitrocharger/2612 (front), Bilstein 5100s (rear). Vanguard roll bar modified (by me) to fit over Patriot Stealth retractable tonneau. Aftermarket halo headlights with HID, various LED bulb replacements. 17" Fuel Blitz wheels with some 33" Nitto terra grapplers. Hoodscoop, nfab nerfbars, Bushwacker flares. No-name aftermarket grille, led fender extensions. Black Horse bambi-basher. Various offroad lights.
    Yes, headunits are one of Toyota's few weaknesses. The JBL "upgrade" lol included some special JBL wiring so they could use some custom 3ohm speakers/amp... If I remember right :crazy:. I was planning on using @RainMan_PNW 's excellent wiring diagrams to come up with a custom solution to re-using the existing wiring for more standard headunit/accessories one of these days, but life decided kick me in the balls and I haven't had the time. Last time I looked into it you had the option of either using the standard harness and maybe not have your SWC work properly, use the canbus harness and maybe not have all your audio channels (but still have acceptable audio), or start investing in the replacement equipment: Idatalink adaptors, amp bypass/converter, maestro for canbus system integration, new speakers amp etc... $$$$. Luckily you dont have to do it all at once, just a matter of what you can live with.
    Crutchfield has component lists to convert our JBL setup and it's laughably large and expensive. Personally I think there are various workarounds depending on how much of the oem setup you plan to keep.

Haven't seen that brand before, but there are tons of "new" Chinese manufacturers coming out with clones all the time, and even more local companies importing and rebranding. If you are willing to spend that much on a Chinesium Android, I would recommend spending a hair more and getting a Dasaita. I can tell you from my experience that their units appear to have a higher level build quality/better components. They also reportedly have good English speaking customer service as well as software updates, something you arent going to get from the other clones.

pbeseda[OP] likes this.
  5. Apr 2, 2024 at 9:07 AM
    yel911

yel911 New Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Crew Limited
    I'm planning on a Dasaita 10.2 unit also, with JBL.

Products Discussed in

To Top