1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd gen DC vs 1st gen DC size (optical illusion?)

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by mattvogt7, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Feb 28, 2020 at 6:08 AM
    mattvogt7

mattvogt7 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey - this ground has been covered a bit on this forum but I wanted to try and drill down a bit. I have a 1st gen access cab tundra that I love but is on its last legs. I'm going to get another Tundra and for a while was looking hard for the mythical 2nd gen RCSB. I've expanded the options to include the double cab. This car will not be a daily driver, I dont care about parking etc. but I do get out fairly regularly on backroads in southern Utah (nothing super crazy). I've seen that the 1st gen double cab is actually a bit longer than the 2nd gen DC......but this wheel base is a bit shorter. For whatever reason, the 2nd+ gen DC's just look so huge compared to even the first gen double cab.
    Is there anyone here who has driven both including dirt roads that can speak to this and how they drive/handle? Do they both feel like a boat or is one more "nimble" than the other. My preference is still to find a regular cab but there are some great deals out there on lightly used 1st and early 2nd gen DC's. I can definitely see how it'd be nice to have a bit more space over my access cab.
    Sorry if this is a redundant question but would love to hear any thoughts......

Thanks!

D4x4TRD likes this.
  2. Feb 28, 2020 at 8:14 AM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Can only comment and Like the interior of the 2nd gen DC. It feels bigger than my 2015 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab.

3. Feb 28, 2020 at 9:38 AM
    mtndude23

mtndude23 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 tundra
    I went from a '00 access cab to a '06 DC to a '07 DC. I haven't driven a 2nd gen crewmax, but the steering on my '07 is much faster then the two 1st gens I had. It makes sharp turns in the woods-and parking lots much easier.

4. Feb 28, 2020 at 9:48 AM
    BlackSheep

BlackSheep caffeinated member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black DC 5.7L 4x4
    held together by duct tape and baling wire
    The only Tundra I've ever sat in or driven is my own 2010 DC. It is a big, wide truck. There are some places in the city it will barely fit, like alleys and some drive-up ATM lanes. And it only just barely fits in my work parking garage on a 3/1 level with 37s. But, I am and have always been amazed at its maneuverability. I'm convinced after watching others try to park their full size trucks that the Tundra turns much sharper than other 1/2 ton trucks. I don't know how this would translate to back roads in Utah, but I personally think the truck handles like one much smaller than it is. Just my .02

Products Discussed in

To Top