1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

285/70/17 Yokohama Geolandar AT/S Review

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by 14burrito, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Jan 22, 2015 at 9:23 AM
    14burrito

14burrito [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thought I'd give my 2 cents on the Yokohama Geolandars.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar A/T-S&partnum=87R7GEOATS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Got them for a fantastic deal from Discount Tire so decided to give them a try. One other huge selling point (will go into more detail later) is that they were advertised as a true 33" tire, 33.1" overall diameter. I wanted to go with a level kit on the truck so decided the true 33" would fit nicely and help fill in some of that void. I regularly tow about 3.5-4.500 pounds as well.

Tire wear/noise
    Thus far I have about 7000miles on them, aside from the poor alignment cupping, these bad boys still look like the day I bought them. Tread wear so far has been fantastic! They are not noisy when driving down the freeway, just a nice whisper. They also sound the same as when I first bought them, no increase in road noise.

Traction
    I have taken them out a few times on some rocks/sand and with the pressures around 20-25psi and they hook up well with limited wheel slip. Pulling the road out of the water, the launches near me have a lot of algae growth and sometimes we have to launch off the beach due to water levels. Never had an issue with wheel spin getting out with a low tongue weight and no added weight to the bed.

Balancing
    Tires balance out well with little weights when performing a dynamic road force balance (the only way to properly balance tires). Tires have retained the good balance for the past 7000miles, no re-balance was necessary during the rotation.

Now the bad
    My first set of tires were poorly manufactured and had a crazy tire pull in them. After going through the whole tire swap side to side, front to back and again side to side....tires were warrantied out and replaced. New set have had not issues I can attribute to them, most likely just the road crown and my alignment specs.
    Also, tires are advertised to be a overall diameter of 33.1". Tire pressures set to 40-45psi, unloaded and I was measuring much less than that - do not remember exactly. During my next Discount tire visit, I will inquire about this being that I am now leveled and a huge reason I went with these is for the tire size that was advertised.

End result
    I would buy again if given the chance to at the same price point as before. Not sure if I would still go with them for more though, I would need to do more research.

Bob likes this.
  2. Jan 23, 2015 at 10:51 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Rock Warrior 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Thanks for the good tire review

3. Aug 27, 2016 at 6:38 PM
    10tundra

10tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Black 4x2 CrewMax
    I had these on my F150 and was very pleased with them.

4. Aug 27, 2016 at 9:30 PM
    matluth

matluth Fish On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2007 Slate Metallic 5.7L Tundra DC SR5 4X4
    18"X9" FN BFD's rims, 295/70R/18E Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's, upgraded to Old Man EMU coil-overs/shocks. Toytec shackles Next: true dual exhaust, new UCA's.
    Co worker has them on his Nissan Exterra and really likes them. Great tread wear for the money.

10tundra likes this.

Products Discussed in this Thread

To Top