1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

285/55R20 vs 285/65R18

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Blindf8th, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Apr 18, 2018 at 7:53 PM
    Blindf8th

Blindf8th [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello,

Recently purchased an 18' Tundra and was wondering what the primary difference is when it comes to deciding between these two tire sizes? Just started researching and I'm more interested in understanding the reasons why someone might choose one over the other. Is it mainly about more road or off-road driving? Are there other factors that I should consider that might fit my needs better?

Thank you for any light you can shed on the topic.

Blind

2. Apr 20, 2018 at 5:01 AM
    parker44

parker44 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra - Desert Sand Mica
    A lot of it will be personal preference. Do you like more tire or more wheel? Tire profiles (from the rim to the outer part of the tire) are going to be more with 18's than they will with 20's. 20" wheels typically cost more than 18's, as do the tires. If you plan on offroading the truck a lot, people tend to go with 18's or so because you have more tire to protect your wheels.

3. Apr 20, 2018 at 5:11 AM
    NickyF25

NickyF25 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SE Pa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum 4x4 Silver Sky-Sold
    @parker44 - well said. In my experience after switching from stock Platinum 20's to 18's and 285/65R18 KO2s, my truck rides smoother on road. I prefer the looks of 18's and the additional protection they give you vs 20's.

4. Apr 20, 2018 at 5:19 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    Larger heavier wheels and tires are not as easy to slow down as 18", the ride and turn in (handling) are not as good with larger than 18" on these trucks.

5. Apr 20, 2018 at 10:43 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    I have always preferred tire over rim for both off roading and on the road. Unfortunately when I bought my truck the only way to get the tires I needed (notice I said needed) was to buy the TSS OR with BFGs on 20s. I would have much preferred the same tire on 18s. In fact when I was looking to buy a TRD OR I told all of the sales people I was dealing with that the max size I feel should be on a 4x4 is an 18. I had a dealer trade working on a TRD OR when I saw the BFGs on the TSS. I decided to go ahead and try the 20s. I run some pretty rocky terrain and so far no nicks in the rims. When I replace the tires I will increase the sidewall profile. Speaking of replacing I was looking at the General X3s but pretty much scratched them off my list after seeing the weights. Those suckers are heavy but I guess most MTs are.

Products Discussed in

To Top