1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

22 Tundra TRD Suspension Lift Kit

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by gr8fasushi, Sep 11, 2022.

1. Dec 28, 2022 at 8:05 PM
    bballjames

bballjames New Member

Member:
    Inland PNW
    Vehicle:
    22 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Hybrid Crew Max 6.5ft bed
    Hey @Taikowaza - sorry to hear about all this. Sounds terrible. Of course it made me super paranoid as my truck is at the dealership right now getting the lift installed… after reading your story I immediately opened the app to see where my truck was and how many miles it had. Thankfully it was at the dealership with the same number of miles as when I dropped it off. I guess I won’t know about any smells or other until I pick it up… I will say they called me today and said they needed to recalibrate the safety sense so it was going to be $500 more than they told me. Just feels like they are being dishonest at this point and didn’t want to honor their original quote. I even met them halfway to try and show my understanding, but this is ridiculous. I should be picking it up tomorrow and should be really excited, but honestly just angry at how they have treated me

2. Dec 28, 2022 at 10:32 PM
    R2theD2

R2theD2 New Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra 1794 TRD Off-Road Lifted - Midnight Black
    TRD Lift Kit TRD Skid Plate TRD Running Boards Nitto Ridge Grapplers (35x12.5) OEM Bed Step OEM Toyota Tonneau Cover (Quad-Fold) 3M Window Tint (matched factory rear) Spray-On Bedliner
    @Taikowaza dude, that is ridiculous. You should ask to talk to the dealer’s owner. Don’t take no for an answer. They should resolve and compensate you for your time and frustration! Remember, these are all sales guys at the end of the day. If you reach an impasse just sit there silently with eye contact - and let them talk - they will…can’t help themselves - and don’t say a word until it becomes uncomfortable - then you tell them how it is going to be….how they will handle this - know what you want beforehand and tell them. IMO they comp the maintenance - you can settle at 50% comp.

They don’t want a bad reputation - which of course is also very important in Japan as you probably know based on your post. Which dealer was it? Important for others that read this thread to beware…unless they resolve. Frankly…they should comp your kit install or give you $X credit for future mods…that is what I would fight for!

@bballjames do you have your quote in writing? The updated one? Tell them to pound sand. They gave you a quote and should honor it. They can eat that cost and won’t impact them at all - for you it is $500 you can spend on your next mod! ;)

bballjames likes this.
  3. Dec 28, 2022 at 10:44 PM
    Kap1

Kap1 New Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794
    Don't agree to the $500 extra, it's in their service manual for this lift installation and should not be a surprise . You're just a customer, it's not your responsibility to know what's required for this official Trd Toyota lift. Don't pay it

Tell them not to perform the calibration if they won't include it, and if you crash then it'll be on them.

They're doing classic bait and switch on you.

bballjames[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Dec 28, 2022 at 11:04 PM
    bballjames

bballjames New Member

Member:
    Inland PNW
    Vehicle:
    Thanks fellas I totally agree. Such a scam. I will never be taking my truck there again. I’ll go 1 mile over the border to the Idaho Toyota dealer and see if they are better. I just am shocked they even called to say that after everything we went through the first time.

I decided they are either 1) completely dishonest bait and switch or 2) completely incompetent or 3) some combination of the two. Neither inspires any confidence in bringing my truck back there.

When they called me she said the fog lights were still “detected” so that was throwing off the sensors. Which sounds like complete BS to me. Said radar cruise control wouldn’t work without calibration… which duh, ya that’s why it’s in the instructions as you guys alluded too.

I would be so embarrassed if I was them. I work in the business world and it is shocking to me to see such poor service.

Kap1 likes this.
  5. Dec 28, 2022 at 11:25 PM
    Kap1

Kap1 New Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794
    Don't be embarrassed, don't be nice, tell them you disagree with their additional charge and will not pay it as it wasnt on their original quote.

For the dealership, if they can screw you once, they win, and they don't care if you're coming back or not

6. Dec 29, 2022 at 7:18 AM
    bballjames

bballjames New Member

Member:
    Inland PNW
    Vehicle:
    Well after a strongly worded email last night they responded this morning to say they’ll honor the $1,500 install price. Which is good, but sure does leave a VERY bad taste in my mouth. I’ll be pleasant and nice picking it up, but I will not be going back there. I will take my business elsewhere.

Kap1, Bbgunasassin, R2theD2 and 2 others like this.
  7. Dec 29, 2022 at 7:43 AM
    Tundra17944Ever

Tundra17944Ever ‘16 Limited to ‘23 1794

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    GA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra CrewMax 1794 TRD 4x4
    Fuel Rebel 6 Bronze 20x9 +20 Nitto Recon Grappler LT295/60R20 PRO fender flares color matched and wired Fox suspension from TRD Pro TRD Pro shift knob Grille surround color matched CBI Covert bumper with bull bar Rear bumper arms color matched BakFlip MX4 tonneau cover WeatherTech mats Gloss black window trim TT cat shield Black TRD grille Tufskinz tailgate letters Tufskinz TRD logo and stripes Tufskinz door sill protector Center console safe TWC 5” exhaust tip TWC slip-on exhaust TWC titanium valve stem caps Beat Sonic amp TRD air filters Diode Dynamics amber fog lights Color matched digital camo fog light bezel OEM Dashcam
    I like your plan. You can give them the middle finger AFTER you get your keys and drive away.:rofl:

8. Dec 29, 2022 at 9:50 AM
    bigjuice

bigjuice Researching and collecting parts…

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM Crew Max SR5
    It’s a real shame that one has to go to these lengths nowadays just to get a fair (and promised) deal

…integrity and honesty has surely gone the way of the dodo bird :(

9. Dec 29, 2022 at 10:18 AM
    bballjames

bballjames New Member

Member:
    Inland PNW
    Vehicle:
    Ya very disappointing indeed. The sad part is this is the norm these days. And with weird demand and lack of supply has exacerbated the problem of “take it or leave it. We don’t care there’s 100 other people in line”. Almost like all businesses are turning in to the government :rofl::rofl::rofl:

which is truly a sad day for everyone…

10. Dec 29, 2022 at 2:00 PM
    bballjames

bballjames New Member

Member:
    Inland PNW
    Vehicle:
    Well just returned from the dealer and picked it up the truck. It looks fantastic and like a real truck now. The 285/65R20s were a fantastic size. Drives almost exact same as stock just taller. I do think it is a bit stiffer, but we’ll see long term if I still feel that way. Only driven it home about 9 miles from the dealer so far.

They did honor the $1,500 install and gave me $100 off because I bought my tires from them (and they price matched what I was going to pay at Discount Tire). Total for the labor, tires and install was $3,708. Add in the $2,400 for the lift and just over $6,100 for the lift, tires, and install. Quite a bit to drop on an already expensive $70,000 truck, but I think it’s worth it. Of course value is very subjective but I plan on keeping this truck for a long time and I liked that the TRD lift was factory and shouldn’t cause any issues with warranty down the road. At least that is my hope. I thought about waiting until more stuff hits the market and maybe is cheaper, but I kind of wanted to enjoy the truck now and just love it. I have down some slower builds and I just regretted not getting the stuff done I wanted sooner because I didn’t get to enjoy the vehicle as long. Hopefully not a foolish choice on this one, but time will tell. For the time being I am very happy and excited about it. I’ll post some pics after I can do a proper wash and get her shiny!!!

charlieyankee88, bigjuice and Kap1 like this.
  11. Dec 29, 2022 at 2:23 PM
    Tundra17944Ever

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    GA
    Vehicle:
    Fuel Rebel 6 Bronze 20x9 +20 Nitto Recon Grappler LT295/60R20 PRO fender flares color matched and wired Fox suspension from TRD Pro TRD Pro shift knob Grille surround color matched CBI Covert bumper with bull bar Rear bumper arms color matched BakFlip MX4 tonneau cover WeatherTech mats Gloss black window trim TT cat shield Black TRD grille Tufskinz tailgate letters Tufskinz TRD logo and stripes Tufskinz door sill protector Center console safe TWC 5” exhaust tip TWC slip-on exhaust TWC titanium valve stem caps Beat Sonic amp TRD air filters Diode Dynamics amber fog lights Color matched digital camo fog light bezel OEM Dashcam
    @bballjames I’m happy you have your truck now. Like you I was hesitant to drop that much more into a $70,000+ truck but I want to enjoy it exactly the way I want it for as long as possible. I’m still waiting on mine but the garage has parts waiting. It does give me hope that there are honorable people out there given the discount they gave you. Enjoy and keep us posted on what you think of the lift.

bballjames likes this.
  12. Dec 29, 2022 at 2:33 PM
    R2theD2

R2theD2 New Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    TRD Lift Kit TRD Skid Plate TRD Running Boards Nitto Ridge Grapplers (35x12.5) OEM Bed Step OEM Toyota Tonneau Cover (Quad-Fold) 3M Window Tint (matched factory rear) Spray-On Bedliner
    @bballjames that is awesome man! And agree - it’s subjective and do what you want when you want - but also be smart with what you can afford and when - at the end of the day it is a depreciating asset. So do it cause you work hard and want to enjoy it! I can’t wait to see some pics and you still got a screaming deal with the install price (I’m paying $2200).

I’m out of surgery, which was successful, and just got home about an hour ago. I am still waiting to hear when my wife and father-in-law can go pick my truck up. They’ve been really slow due to their suspension spring compression tool breaking on them. They were supposed to take the parts to another dealer that was letting them use theirs as a favor. I’m not in a big rush right now, so not pressing them.

again, stoked to see pics of yours! Congrats!!!

13. Dec 29, 2022 at 2:43 PM
    R2theD2

R2theD2 New Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    @Tundra17944Ever Totally agree with you too.

Was also curious about which 1794 you had as wasn’t in your vehicle list. stoked to hear about it!

I saw your post on the dealer with the 295/60R20 that switched to 35s and had poke that caused stuff to get flung up the side, so hoping I didn’t choose poorly. Which 35s did he have on it?

guess my solution would be https://www.roughcountry.com/rc-toy...42211.html?find=2022-toyota-tundra-4wd-863232

14. Dec 29, 2022 at 2:59 PM
    Tundra17944Ever

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    GA
    Vehicle:
    I will now have a 2023 1794 TRD Off-road in Smoked Mesquite after a 7 month wait :fingerscrossed: He switched to Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Wasn’t really much of a switch as they were the same tires in LT295/60R20. He did have the stock flares on it. I’m going with the Pro flares. I had a couple of email exchanges with Rough Country about those flares. They told me they are not for short-bed Tundras even after I pointed out that the images on their site are on a short-bed.

R2theD2[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Dec 29, 2022 at 3:03 PM
    R2theD2

R2theD2 New Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    mine happens to be the 6.5’ bed…so they’d fit that? The rough country ones?

so how are the pro ones different?

16. Dec 29, 2022 at 3:11 PM
    Tundra17944Ever

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    GA
    Vehicle:
    The Pro flares are a little bit wider than the stock flares. They may provide enough coverage but I am certain the RC flares are wider. Yes according to RC they are made for the long bed.

R2theD2[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Dec 29, 2022 at 7:32 PM
    bballjames

bballjames New Member

Member:
    Inland PNW
    Vehicle:
    Thank you and will do. I am glad they honored it, but didn’t feel like they did the honorable thing. They should have stuck to the original quote after I negotiated and met them in the middle… but at least I didn’t have to push too hard honestly to get them to stick to their $1,500 agreement.

Kap1 and R2theD2 like this.
  18. Dec 29, 2022 at 7:36 PM
    bballjames

bballjames New Member

Member:
    Inland PNW
    Vehicle:
    Thank you! Glad to hear your surgery went well. All this fretting over this and that or $500 is really put in perspective when you have health challenges or other big life issues. It’s easy to get caught up in it, but at the end of the day I have a beautiful family where we all love each other and honestly have a very blessed life. I have to keep remembering that when I start feeling my blood pressure rise about some of this stuff.

I’ll be excited for you to get yours back. Bummer their machine broke and it’s taking so long. But at least with everything else going on for you sounds like a low pressure situation which is great. Speedy recovery to you and it will be great to get some pictures up on this thread soon!!!

19. Dec 30, 2022 at 6:25 AM
    bigjuice

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM Crew Max SR5
    Glad your surgery went well…speedy recovery and waiting to hear how the folks like the truck also.

20. Dec 30, 2022 at 6:34 AM
    bigjuice

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM Crew Max SR5
    I was thinking for a second about the RC flares also (they have 2 versions it looks like) but hearing this I may just stick with the pro flares also.

Heading to the dealer today to get my 12 month maintenance so will try to price out a few parts (Pro grill and flares) and agreement on lift install…moreso agreement for them to keep my fogs and retain original sway bar end links so I can keep my TRD skip plates.

Maybe I can get them to throw all of those on without charging me the install price for each separately??? :monocle:

…That’s the hope anyway since the truck gonna be half torn apart in those areas. If not then it was worth the try and on to plan B (another custom shop I’ve been talking to since I have neither the time or the time)

bballjames likes this.
  21. Dec 30, 2022 at 7:03 AM
    bballjames

bballjames New Member

Member:
    Inland PNW
    Vehicle:
    Make sure they aim your headlights as part of the install. First time driving at night last night and I was giving myself the middle finger for how bad my headlights were shining right into other drivers rear view mirrors and windows… :facepalm:

bigjuice[QUOTED] and R2theD2 like this.
  22. Dec 30, 2022 at 7:44 AM
    R2theD2

R2theD2 New Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the well wishes guys. Doing quite well post-knife and honestly this thread (and forum generally) has been a good distraction for me with it all - so appreciate the fun conversations and nerding out on the lift and other mods.

@bballjames good note on the headlights - thanks!

@bigjuice are you still using Rodland? If you go down there today, you might be able to see mine before I do - ha! I worked with Tom (Thomas) in service. Nice enough guy, but can be slow on responses. I think the broken equipment they had + holiday kind of threw them for a loop. They said they would do keep the fogs and I just need to sign a waiver - I also talked the tech that was doing the install through the sway-bar/skid-plate using @Taikowaza 's notes in this thread. He seemed to understand (and drives a lifted Tacoma) and be competent.

I also want to do the Pro grill (thinking about that one with the integrated amber lights and lightbar) so will be curious what they quote you. I would also do mustache that I will probably order from paintedoemparts to start de-chroming. I assume I may need to go with the RC flares as I have a 6.5' bed...so not sure if the Pro flares would fit the rear? I'd probably prefer the Pro flares if a possibility. If poke isn't too bad, I likely will hold off on that for a while.

So in my head for 2023 (and will need to get my wife a nice piece of jewelry to distract her) - Pro Grill w/ Lights, De-Chrome, potentially RC or Pro flares, front and rear CBI Covert Bumper w/ bar....and dual tip exhaust in the black chrome

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  23. Dec 30, 2022 at 8:04 AM
    bigjuice

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM Crew Max SR5
    Yessir…heading over to Rodland today so I will see if I can get a peek indeed.

We are in the same boat when it comes to all the ‘the domestic attention’ regarding mods so I am also taking it slow.

…unless I can say “Well…since they the have the truck for X it makes sense doing Y and Z also”

bballjames and R2theD2[QUOTED] like this.
  24. Dec 30, 2022 at 8:10 AM
    R2theD2

R2theD2 New Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    @bigjuice you will never believe this...so I just talked to Tom. They apparently nicked one of my wheels when fitting the new tires on...so sounds like I am not getting it back today. They are doing the right thing and 1) sending me a picture showing what happened and 2) repairing the wheel. It doesn't sound like a major issue, but this has been quite the process. To be fair, I appreciate them being honest and keeping me updated.

I also asked them to send me a picture of the skid-plate so I can make sure they did the sway bar correctly.

Wild, but at least it is keeping me entertained! Ha.

bballjames likes this.
  25. Dec 30, 2022 at 4:25 PM
    bigjuice

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM Crew Max SR5
    Whew…well it’s good to know they owned up and did the right thing…one can always appreciate that kind of honesty (and taking care of the customer).

I had a similar experience with my wife’s Volvo XC90 3 years ago over at the Volvo dealer just as we were about to head down to Canon Beach
    They scratched the bumper so they allowed me to keep my loaner for the entire 2 weeks while being repainted (another XC90), which they added cross-bars for my roof rack so we wouldn’t be affected.

That kind of honesty definitely brings me back.

Well I am here at Rodland…couldn’t get a glimpse of your ride though (probably in one of the adjacent bays).

26. Dec 30, 2022 at 4:33 PM
    R2theD2

R2theD2 New Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's got to be collecting dust somewhere the amount of time they've had it - ha! Was hoping you'd get a peek - which would either give me confidence or scare the crap out of me. I still haven't heard back from them this afternoon, but he sent me a pic of the wheel issue, and it was minor. Assume I am not seeing the truck until at least the 2nd at this point.

Interested to hear what they thought on your quote.

I am a bit nervous now with this other thread talking about rub issues on 35s with the lift.

27. Dec 30, 2022 at 4:38 PM
    bigjuice

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM Crew Max SR5
    None of the regular parts folks (like Luke) or techs aren’t here for me to get a good conversation going so I skipped that altogether.

The older gentleman holding down the fort knew a few things but since I didn’t walk with p/n’s and he wasn’t sure which of the different parts were the correct ones (Pro grill and flares, etc) we talked in general terms and I moved on.

28. Dec 30, 2022 at 5:09 PM
    R2theD2

R2theD2 New Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, Luke is probably the best one to talk to about all that stuff. I'd definitely wait for him.

29. Dec 30, 2022 at 5:37 PM
    bballjames

bballjames New Member

Member:
    Inland PNW
    Vehicle:
    Mine are about 34 1/2 inches, so not a true 35 but pretty close. There is 0 rub on mine with stock wheels at full lock either direction. I could see another 1/2 inch making a difference though. It is close. @R2theD2 are you doing 35x12.5? I was told that size tire would not fit on stock wheels due to the width. I had a couple people tell me the rims were too narrow for that size.

30. Dec 30, 2022 at 6:28 PM
    R2theD2

R2theD2 New Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    @bballjames Yeah, but again, the dealer parts manager recommended the specific tires and ordered them for the wheels and lift kit. My guess is he recommended those specific tires seeing that they were the exact ones that Toyota used on the red Tundra with the lift kit at SEMA. Same wheels and it has 35 x 12.5 Ridge Grapplers... what a process this has been! ha. Also, just watched a Westcott Designs install where they put 35 x 12.5 Ridge Grapplers on the OEM TRD 20" wheels I have, so that part should work.

"Just to tackle the beating Mother Nature could throw at the Tundra when driving off-road, this Tundra at SEMA was fitted with a TRD skid plate and TRD cast aluminum running boards that also help to get in and out of the massive truck. Especially when equipped with the lift kit. The truck sits on the massive TRD Off-Road wheel and tire package with black lugs nuts. The 20-inch wheels are wrapped in Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50 knobby all-season tires." (full article below)

@Taikowaza you had 35 x 12.5s on the TRD Off Road 20" wheel, yeah? Just not the Nittos, right? And you switched due to rubbing? Did you have an alignment done with the suspension install? I assume yes...

https://www.hotcars.com/this-toyota-tundra-lifted-sema-concept-shows-off-awesome-accessories/

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022

Products Discussed in

To Top