1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

22 level ride quality

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by 2bak, Mar 26, 2022.

1. Mar 26, 2022 at 6:18 PM
    2bak

2bak [OP] Thanks

Member:
    First Name:
    M
    Bellingham WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    Anyone with the RC level or another, can you speak to the change in ride quality? I put the Westcott 3/1 on my platinum and it is extremely harsh in the front end. Feels like I’m driving a 96 power stroke level of stiffness. Expect to swap to a real suspension lift when available but would consider swapping into the RC puck level if folks have had good luck.

2. Mar 26, 2022 at 6:20 PM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax
    The platinum I tested looked level stock, was there that much rake on yours?

Krusher22plat likes this.
  3. Mar 26, 2022 at 6:33 PM
    bigjuice

bigjuice Researching and collecting parts…

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM Crew Max SR5
    I put on Westcott on mine a few days ago also…ride is a little bit harsher but not a whole lot in my opinion.

I have a TRD OR SR5 by the way so my ride was probably harsher (or moreso ‘bouncy’ ) than yours to begin with so not apples to apples.

I also understand that ride quality can be a subjective thing so hopefully you find something that works for you.

ToyoTundra89 likes this.
  4. Mar 26, 2022 at 6:58 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Any lift with a puck (spacer block) in it is gonna feel rough. It’s the cheapest, easy way to get some lift but only an upgraded coilover lift will be more comfortable than stock.

TheBeast and Acedude like this.
  5. Mar 28, 2022 at 8:19 AM
    Sparky916

Sparky916 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    22 Lunar Rock Limited TRD OF
    2bak[OP] likes this.
  6. Mar 28, 2022 at 9:45 AM
    KroppDuster

KroppDuster Out with the old and in with the...older?

Member:
    Here. There. Everywhere.
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 TRD Off Road - Cavalry Blue
    I've done spacer lifts on a couple of vehicles (Tundra & 4Runner) and I typically don't notice a huge difference in ride quality until I change the tires. From my experiences, the bulk of increased harshness usually comes from the tires vs the lift.

Case in point on my Tundra: I installed 2" aluminum spacers (not the RC kit) and drove around for nearly a week with the OE tires while I waited on my new tires to arrive. That week with the spacer on OE tires...I didn't really notice any change in ride quality. However, once I installed my 34" M/T tires, the change was pretty obvious as I expected.

If the truck I saw you post in another thread is yours....you went to BFG A/T's (can't tell the size). Those are 100% going to ride a heck of a lot harsher than the Michelin or Firestone tires that came stock on your truck.

If you do a lift & tires at the same time, I think it's pretty easy to place all of the blame on the lift itself. In reality, it's a combination of both but mostly the tires IMO.

On a side note: On my old Taco, I went with a ReadyLift 3/2 coilover lift. That was the only time I opt'd for a new coilovers instead of cheaping out and just doing a spacer lift. On road, I never could really tell a difference (between new coilovers & spacers). Off road, it rode a lot better than a cheap spacer lift. Granted, I could've gone ICON, OME, or Fox...but I didn't want to spend that amount of money.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
  7. Mar 28, 2022 at 10:37 AM
    Sparky916

Sparky916 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    22 Lunar Rock Limited TRD OF
    I’m riding on stock tires and wheels with just the Westcott 3/1 collar lift because the wheels and tires I want are on back order. I would say it’s quite a noticeable difference in ride quality, but I’m personally content with it for the time being. I get what the OP is saying and don’t think you can achieve a quality ride without a proper suspension lift. Also, like you had stated, tires and wheels play a significant role. I can’t speak to a traditional “block” style level, but the Westcott lift is toted as being a better ride over a traditional level kit. IMO all level kits never achieve the job well if you want a nice ride, but also adding a suspension lift with some 12 ply M/T isn’t going to do it either. Just my 2 cents.

ToyoTundra89 likes this.
  8. Mar 28, 2022 at 12:09 PM
    ToyoTundra89

ToyoTundra89 Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra SR5 TRD OR CM 6.5
    Say what!? Would love to see pictures! 3/1 or just front?

9. Mar 28, 2022 at 12:23 PM
    ToyoTundra89

ToyoTundra89 Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    ⬆️100% this. As much as I want to slap my 35s on the same time i get the lift done. Going to drive it for a few days on oem tires to see if I can feel a difference. Had spacer lifts on former vehicles and honestly couldn't really feel much of a difference and Im lowkey very OCD.. I really pay attention. I'll even put a cup of water in my truck and drive over speed bumps to measure harshness lol. But if you lift and install tires at the same time.. im counting on 99% of the harshness you're feeling is the new tires.

TakiEvo likes this.
  10. Mar 28, 2022 at 12:59 PM
    bigjuice

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM Crew Max SR5
    3/1…just got it done at The Toyota Garage (at Michaels Toyota in Bellevue)

A618890A-709A-4FA9-A73F-E65F3360B9A2.jpg

Getting some Black Rhino Rapids in gun metal put on in the next day or so…will post more once those are on.

They are +12 so expecting some degree of poke that I have calculated/expect.

11. Mar 28, 2022 at 1:01 PM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax
    that looks higher in the front than the rear?

12. Mar 28, 2022 at 1:04 PM
    21CGtundra

21CGtundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2022 Midnight Black Tundra SR5
    2" front level, 1" Cornfed rear spacer, Rally Armor flaps, Method Con-6 wheels, 285/75 Duratrac
    I've never really understood how the small spacer leveling kits could impact ride harshness? All they are doing is lowering the mounting point of the strut to achieve lift? It's understandable with the Westcott kit (or the Bilstein 5100's, Eibach Protruck struts, etc.) to feel a stiffer ride because lift is achieved from spring compression. I had a 2" level kit spacer on my 21' CM before I got this 22' and I didn't notice any change in the ride with stock tires. I'm no engineer though so please feel free to enlighten me. Lol.

13. Mar 28, 2022 at 1:12 PM
    ToyoTundra89

ToyoTundra89 Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    Amazing! Shoot, regretting my decision to only go with the front from Westcott. That looks so good! My front kit goes on Thursday, can't wait.

14. Mar 28, 2022 at 1:15 PM
    KroppDuster

KroppDuster Out with the old and in with the...older?

Member:
    Here. There. Everywhere.
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 TRD Off Road - Cavalry Blue
    Looks solid! Alignment time! Might be eyes or the photo, but it looks the camber is definitely off post-lift.

Usual forum questions:
    • What the install charge?
    • Did they have the alignment specs / did they perform an alignment yet?
    • Did they mention the rear brake lines? I've heard that there is very little slack in the lines and the 1" rear spacer is pretty all you can do without extending the lines.

Looks level to me, but people's eyes are different. Mine settled between .25" to .5" after I drove around for a few miles. After that, it leveled out perfectly.

Stimleck likes this.
  15. Mar 28, 2022 at 2:06 PM
    bigjuice

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM Crew Max SR5
    It was a little over $800 (level/lift and alignment included) in addition to the kit ($400+)…so not cheap by any regard.

However, I don’t have the tools nor time to do it and it’s hard to find a spot to get it done (called lots of shops front Bellingham to Olympia…if they don’t sell it they don’t want to install it).
    Did find one independent shop in Tacoma but the price was the same so went along with Michael’s /The Toyota Garage

They have the kit there at Michaels and alignment within factory specs…gotta check the paperwork.

No mention of a rear brake line issue(however I didn’t ask)

Its level…I have been wondering about that too every time I see a similar kit but now I just been able to experience it for myself. I’ve only driven about 50 miles this far though.

16. Mar 28, 2022 at 2:07 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    The angle of the a arms are contributing to the stiffness.

17. Mar 28, 2022 at 2:13 PM
    bigjuice

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM Crew Max SR5
    They probably will have just the back (or mix/match parts ) available soon if not already.
    I think in one of his videos I heard him say if you got the 3/1 and want the rake still you can just go without the top spacer on the front…so I have that option down the road.

I had a rake on my last truck and liked it…I fetch stuff 2x month if not more back there, but not always that heavy to sink it down so will see going forward if level or rake is what I want.

ToyoTundra89[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Mar 28, 2022 at 3:41 PM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    The Westcott kit is a preload collar so it probably does stiffen things up. Also, 3" is a lot. You are eating into a lot of your down travel since it is a preload collar and all it is doing is extending the shock further towards extension. People say the same thing when they run Bilstein 5100's at the top setting.

A standard strut top spacer moves the whole shock assembly down. So the spring is preloaded the same, and the shock is still sitting in the intended part of its stroke at ride height. It still has the same up/down travel as stock. The downside being that you probably need to run extended bump stops if your truck uses traditional bump stops. Something like an F150 uses the actual shock as the bump stop so when you use a spacer it doesn't change much, but I know most Toyota's seem to run a typical bump stop on the frame in the front.

14burrito likes this.
  19. Mar 28, 2022 at 5:40 PM
    Rwaters

Rwaters New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra TRD SR5 Crewmax
    I’ve ran many leveling kits and typically don’t notice much change until I upgrade the tires. My ride changed noticeably from the stock tires to the mud tires. When I added the same leveling kit @KroppDuster installed, it wasn’t too much different. I actually think it takes railroad tracks better.

KroppDuster and ToyoTundra89 like this.
  20. Mar 28, 2022 at 5:52 PM
    Rwaters

Rwaters New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra TRD SR5 Crewmax
    Unless it has the adaptive variable suspension, the TRD off roads have the same suspension.

Products Discussed in

To Top