1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

20x12 -44 35×12.5 6" lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by rowdydaoudy, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Oct 7, 2015 at 7:03 AM
    rowdydaoudy

rowdydaoudy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra
    I know this subject has been discussed several times, but after months of searching several forums, I had to finally post. Simply because I have not seen the final answer I have been looking for.

I just ordered my 2016 Tundra CrewMax and am going to do a 6" lift with either 20x10 or 20x12. Ideally, I'd love to run the 20x12 because of the offset.

My questions are:

1. Do I need to, or should I also add a front leveling kit to the 6" lift? I have seen this done many times and lots of locals do this.

2. How much trimming is required, and is this done on the fender wells only?

3. Will I still be rubbing on the frame or anywhere else even after trimming the fender wells if I run the 20x12?

4. I have seen this before with 33's, but does anyone have pics with the stock front bumper and 35's with the 20x12?

Thanks!
    David

2. Oct 7, 2015 at 9:09 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 The Mad Scientist Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum, 2012 Tacoma, 2007 T4R
    Metric shit ton of parts
    1) Stacking lifts is a terrible idea. Those are the kind of things I sit back with :popcorn: and wait for Darwinism to take it's course.
    2) You can fit 35's with no lift. With a DB lift, if you've got issues, you're doing it wrong.
    3) The offset of the wheel you are looking at is really aggressive. That's equivalent to a 4.75" backspacing. If the offset is the same on a 10" wide wheel (-44), that would be equivalent to 3.75" backspacing...which would be absurd. Depending if you get a true 6" lift out of the lift, you might have problems with the cab mount and the front plastics on full lock/stuff. Definitely won't have frame rub with that aggressive of an offset.
    4) No...but here's 35x12.50s on a 18x9 with a +18 offset (5.7" backspacing). And for reference that's only 3" lift with adjustable coilovers.

One more picture. If you go with the 20x12 with -44 offset, expect the tires to stick out a full 1" more than mine:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  3. Oct 7, 2015 at 12:02 PM
    rowdydaoudy

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra
    Thank, jberry! Truck looks great by the way. Same color I ordered! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I definitely scratched my head when I heard people leveling the front since the way lift kits are made they take into account the leveling. In essence, it would have a reverse rake when adding the leveling kit.

I want to have the wheel poke, since that is the look I am going for. I'd really love to see someone running the exact set up as my title and hear how much they had to trim and where and if they're still rubbing.

4. Oct 7, 2015 at 12:37 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 The Mad Scientist Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum, 2012 Tacoma, 2007 T4R
    Metric shit ton of parts
    Not knocking your decision, but there's not a whole lot of drop bracket love on this forum so it may be challenging to find someone here with the pictures/experience you are looking for. Good luck either way.

5. Oct 15, 2015 at 7:53 AM
    rowdydaoudy

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra
    I ordered the 20x12 -44's with 35x12.5r20 Nitto Grappler G2's. Truck should be arriving in 2 weeks, my rep just texted me the VIN. Hoping to have it all installed within a few days of picking her up!

Products Discussed in

To Top