1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2023 Chevy Tahoe Review

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by PermaFrostTRD, Feb 26, 2024.

1. Feb 26, 2024 at 9:31 AM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD [OP] Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    For anyone interested:

We rented a 2023 Tahoe LT trim to travel round trip about 3000 mi to Cocoa Beach Florida. It had 22k mi on it when we started.
    I am not going to go through the complete specs of the vehicle as they are readily available online and I may get a few things incorrect. I will point out specific features or specs or etc that I did like and did not like about the vehicle.

Overall this was a great SUV to take a family of 4 round trip to Florida in. Very roomy, comfortable and just an overall easy driver. I believe it had the 5.3 with 10spd as it had no trouble climbing mountain passes in NY/PA and didn't search for gears on like our 6spd tundra's do occasionally. Initially the throttle mapping was very different from the tundra v8 and the vehicle felt very sluggish in the 15 to 35mph range without really stepping on the gas and getting the RPMs up. Didn't seem to have trouble with getting up and going if you just pushed the go pedal a bit more, and again, it just took a few trips getting used to that sluggish feeling. Wasn't a problem, or a negative, per se, just different from the feel of the tundra. Accelerating to pass or merge on the interstate was what this rig seemed primed to do. Very effortless even at 65+ getting up to 80 happened quickly. Even still, the Tahoe was nimble around parking lots and smaller streets, tight turns and cramped parallel parking spots. It certainly didn't feel like you were driving almost the largest production SUV available which was nice. 18" wheels, Michelin defender LTX M/S compliment the SUV very well. looked nice without the 20 or 22" gaudiness, and rode well and got us through some significantly variable climate.

4 captains chairs and a 3rd row was plenty spacious for us and would be a preferred configuration when we (my wife) get in the market for a new vehicle. The 3rd row folded (split 60/40) with a quick lift of a latch and laid flat very efficiently. The only way it could have been easier is if Elon neurolinked the function to my skull (I'm positive higher trims will have push button electric/auto fold). 3rd row was spacious and comfortable for 2 adults (junior and senior in HS) and could have no trouble squeezing 3 "kids" back there. No trouble packing groceries and other shopping foolishness that tends to happen on vacation with all 3 rows up. Our trim had leather seats which were firm but comfortable. I prefer my leather tundra seats (SR5 with aftermarket leather), but these didn't cause any pains or stiffness or other issues on the long drives. Heated fronts (with option to only heat the back or back & seat - which was a nice feature).

Infotainment was a 10" screen with apple car play so that was nice once you get used to it. Screeen was nice and large, but not silly looking. Backup camera was clear and defined. obstacle alerts / BSM / parking alarm crap wasn't overbearing. Push button start, and push button gear selector (which I didn't like initially, but dont really mind it enough for it to be a deal breaker). I'm assuming active fuel management (cylinder deactivation) though I never felt it. Engine shutoff at *most* stoplights - which I hated the entire time. Never any problem or issue with it just a personal preference. The sound system (Bose based) was light years ahead of anything I've heard in a Toyota for a long time. Clear crisp sound, not overwhelming bass, able to hear callers and callers could hear us very easily and well. Interior trim and finish seemed nice, tight, and stylish without looking silly.

Didn't take it off-road or beach buggy it or anything but as stated above, we started in some decent snow and the auto 4WD had no problem keeping us safe and on the road. The cruise control was very nice and smooth. No jerky movements to get back up to speed if you had to brake for any reason. Collision sensors were effective but not a "shut down the vehicle" kind of overwhelming. Those got tested out quite extensively around the DC beltway. Another story for another time, but that place SUCKS, and so do the drivers. averaged 18-24mpg on the trip. Not bad for steep mountains of PA/NY and maintaining 75-85mph on the i95 hell-track.

So that's pretty much it for specifics. Overall pleasing to drive. Not a single issue. Definitely would/ will be a contender if I can shut off the cylinder deactivation and the engine shutoff at stop things. Again, unsure about the longevity of the motor/tranny, or how well the "tightness" of the fit and finish holds up over 100k miles, but at least for 3k, it's a very nice "family truckster."

I'll try to answer questions if anyone has any.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  2. Feb 26, 2024 at 10:38 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    You weren't, unless you mixed up "Tahoe" and "Suburban".

As to the auto start/stop, the Sierra/Silverado used to have a button to disable that so I'd be surprised the SUVs don't unless they did away with it entirely in the past couple model years.

3. Feb 26, 2024 at 1:18 PM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD [OP] Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    Yup, didn’t mix them up. that’s why I included the qualifier “almost”

It could’ve very well had it. I’d make sure it did before I purchased one.

To Top