1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022 Tundra

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by 0.S.T., Apr 6, 2020.

1. Jun 8, 2021 at 1:02 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Shifting to mid engines like the corvette.
    [​IMG]

Toyotoholic, MTRock, Lifer and 2 others like this.
  2. Jun 8, 2021 at 1:11 PM
    Badknees

Badknees New Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tundra 1794 CM 4X4
    TRD Pro BBS Wheels, TRD LED Headlights, Rigid LED Fog lights, 040 TRD Grille, 040 Hood Bulge, Black Center Valence, Driver's Grab Handle, TRD Pro Fox Suspension, 1.00" BORA Wheel Spacers, 1.5" Rear Shackles, TRD Front and Rear Sway bars, 295/70 R18 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs, Full Size Spare, TRD Dual Exhaust, Console cover, Console Organizer, Husky Liner X-act Contours, Tinted Front Windows, Stubby Antenna, Autoventshade Deflectors, Duplicolor Painted Calipers, 040 Painted Front End Caps, Undercover Armor Flex Bed Cover
    Wow. I didn't mean to piss you off - sorry. I think you can easily find many examples of reliable vehicles in every brand and model, but in general, many people buy a Toyota for the superior reliability. The Camry comment was only meant as an example of Toyota's success in sales over the years following a long-term strategy, albeit sedan sales aren't good right now vs. SUVs or Trucks...but I'm sure some people do care about the Camry and mid-sized sedans even if you don't.
    Best.

3. Jun 8, 2021 at 1:19 PM
    Kung

Kung Not so FNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    FLW, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray, N-Fab Steps
    To keep it very short - statistics. I try not to go by anecdotes because they're just that; anyone can come up with a story that essentially goes "Well, I used to have this or that truck and it sucked, and therefore Tundra." LOL Granted, that's kind of my story, BUT it's backed up by statistics. Conversely, when someone has/has had bad experiences with their make, and therefore sets out to search for the most reliable of a certain subset, I don't want anecdotes; I want statistics, and statistically, Tundras are the most reliable 1/2 ton trucks.

Have they had issues? You bet. Even then, based on the Toyotas we've owned, and on the non-Toyota vehicles we've owned, warranty and customer support have been FAR better with Toyota than with Ford, GM, Ram, etc. I'd rather have a mildly improved truck with fantastic support than 'the best' in terms of towing/power/etc., but with somewhat of a crapshoot in terms of warranty and customer support.

4. Jun 8, 2021 at 1:29 PM
    BayRunner

BayRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
    Non issue. I stored boats all winter full of fuel and never had an issue in the Spring. Most of the time a little stabilizer was pit in but have seen some without stabilizer with no issue.

2undra and Jernik like this.
  5. Jun 8, 2021 at 1:35 PM
    The Californian

The Californian Good Vibes Only

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White Tundra TRD Pro Crewmax
    I've come to the conclusion that there are some newer members in here that only want to argue their point, and don't really care to hear what anyone else has to say regardless of how much evidence anyone can produce that contradicts their point. I've taken a "fuck it" approach, and started using the ignore button.

JJtruckon, Badknees, g6t9ed and 2 others like this.
  6. Jun 8, 2021 at 1:35 PM
    Jernik

Jernik New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra Crewmax
    I use some stabilizer for the lawnmower gas and haven't had problems there, so you're probably right. I don't care that much about my lawn mower (if it doesn't run, I get out of cutting the grass! lol ), but I do have a little more concern for my Tundra though. :)

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  7. Jun 8, 2021 at 1:36 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    Not upset at all.

8. Jun 8, 2021 at 1:36 PM
    BayRunner

BayRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
    A Prime model would be a step in the right direction but I don’t think it’s good enough. When shopping for the daughters Prius, we looked at the Prime and it just did not impress me. The extra cost and weight for a mere 25 miles of EV driving was pitiful. I’m sure that 25 is the best under perfect conditions so realistically probable much lower. Plus it had to be plugged in every night. Not impressed

9. Jun 8, 2021 at 1:39 PM
    Warreng

Warreng New Member

Member:
    My dirt bike sits all winter with fuel in the tank. I clean the carb and ride in the spring. Your truck wont care about month old fuel.

10. Jun 8, 2021 at 1:40 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Mother-Loving Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Toyota doesn't have any interest in trying to dominate the truck market and it wouldn't be worth it for them because too many guys will only buy "American trucks" even though they're actually less American than Tundras and, yes, statistically less reliable than Tundras.

11. Jun 8, 2021 at 1:47 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    Sure, I’ve met a lot of guys like that.

I am also not ignoring reliability and durability as a viable feature to drive sales. Perhaps my prior posts don’t reflect that as well as they should. I’m not denigrating those who buy a vehicle with their number 1 priority being reliability, and durability.

However I am pointing out, and making the argument that for many consumers in fact most of them, that other priorities are higher in their purchase decision. If Toyota wants to capture those buyers AND retain current owners they would be well served to build a Tundra that is not only reliable but high in features and class leading abilities.

Given the amount of time they’ve had to accomplish that I hope they do both. Unfortunately based on recent releases and the direction Toyota appears to be heading I’m not optimistic about getting both.

szabo101, 2undra and Kung like this.
  12. Jun 8, 2021 at 1:49 PM
    Lifer

Lifer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Vehicle:
    2000 Ltd 4x4 2008 SR5 4x4 LB 2021 SR 4x4 LB
    Fab tech on the 2000
    When the paint fell off my 80's 4x4 Toyota painted it! If they screw up they fix it generally. I have had vehicles with known problems to the dealer and they pretend they don't know about. Dangerous in some cases as was ours.
    Fords thick film ignition modules were crap and they ignored it till people died and there was a class action suit.

13. Jun 8, 2021 at 1:55 PM
    The Californian

The Californian Good Vibes Only

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White Tundra TRD Pro Crewmax
    [​IMG]

14. Jun 8, 2021 at 2:14 PM
    LarryDangerfield

LarryDangerfield New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2021 army green trail edition tundra
    265/70/18 Kenda Klever AT2 tires, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers, Truxedo Pro X15 tonneau cover, Skyjacker Black Max Foam Cell rear shocks, Cali-raised LED ditch lights/mounts, RCI Aluminum skid plate, Fumoto drain valve, iBoards running board style steps
    The RAV4 prime is an impressive vehicle. It is fairly quick and the battery only range is enough for the majority of people to commute or run errands. Maybe they are going to make a tundra prime. I could see a tundra prime being a world beater if it was fast and allowed you to commute and run errands using no gas.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  15. Jun 8, 2021 at 2:19 PM
    2undra

2undra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    Reg cab short bed 4.7
    Stock
    Sea foam it

rebmo likes this.
  16. Jun 8, 2021 at 2:25 PM
    2undra

2undra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    Reg cab short bed 4.7
    Stock
    Hey Cali- Not to be a newbie here... Yet why don’t you read “Other opinions” instead of voicing yours sometime. Even new on the job rookies have provided something I can learn. It’s a good way to not be a person who comes off as a know it all, Just a helpful suggestion.

17. Jun 8, 2021 at 2:27 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Maybe. If the batteries cut significantly into payload and turn it into a big car that will be a downer though.

My commute is 24 miles one way at highway speeds, so a partial electric wouldn’t work for me unless the battery is fairly substantial. For others it would be just fine to have a 25 mile battery only range.

LarryDangerfield and 2undra like this.
  18. Jun 8, 2021 at 2:32 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Besides this is an automotive forum. So unless you’re an industry professional, an automotive engineer (mechanical, electrical, metallurgy etc.), a pro diver, or a large fleet manager; your opinion as a vehicle operator with a drivers license and the ability to pay “x” amount of $$$ for a vehicle is just as valid as anyone else’s.

I guess we could weight opinions based on how many years you’ve had a drivers license...

2undra likes this.
  19. Jun 8, 2021 at 2:55 PM
    timsp8

timsp8 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax
    You’ll just have to take the long way to work once every week or 2. Isn’t that recommended now so the engine and trans reach operating temp and burn off any condensation? Don’t know if it’s old tech but I remember lots of short trips were bad for vehicles.

Jernik likes this.
  20. Jun 8, 2021 at 3:13 PM
    Badknees

Badknees New Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tundra 1794 CM 4X4
    TRD Pro BBS Wheels, TRD LED Headlights, Rigid LED Fog lights, 040 TRD Grille, 040 Hood Bulge, Black Center Valence, Driver's Grab Handle, TRD Pro Fox Suspension, 1.00" BORA Wheel Spacers, 1.5" Rear Shackles, TRD Front and Rear Sway bars, 295/70 R18 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs, Full Size Spare, TRD Dual Exhaust, Console cover, Console Organizer, Husky Liner X-act Contours, Tinted Front Windows, Stubby Antenna, Autoventshade Deflectors, Duplicolor Painted Calipers, 040 Painted Front End Caps, Undercover Armor Flex Bed Cover
    I’ve had a bad experience with sea foam. Killed my Cats (or finished off the remaining lives!) on my ‘02 4Runner

2undra likes this.
  21. Jun 8, 2021 at 3:14 PM
    Xspurt

Xspurt New Member

Member:
    You can use non-ethanol fuel. That will last a long longer than ethanol blended fuel and you can treat it anyway for extra protection.

22. Jun 8, 2021 at 3:48 PM
    Jernik

Jernik New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra Crewmax
    My 2020 doesn't have a transmission cooler, so it should be nice and hot even on short trips! :stirthepot::laugh:

23. Jun 8, 2021 at 3:55 PM
    Tundra TTH

Tundra TTH New Member

Member:
    Why not. If it’s all electric it’s going to have even a larger battery. Non hybrid will get worse milage ???

24. Jun 8, 2021 at 3:57 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    LOL.

Evidently the Toyota spec WS fluid can handle the temps, but the metallic components and friction materials in the tranny cannot. At least that is the logic I’ve seen in the threads regarding the deletion of the cooler.

For the record I’m pro-cooler if you plan to two frequently and Toyota should have continued equipping the Tundra with the air to liquid cooling loop.

Jernik likes this.
  25. Jun 8, 2021 at 4:00 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Are we talking about an EV Tundra or a plug in hybrid? Clarify for me.

I am not in the market for a pure EV Tundra at this time, and a plug in hybrid would only be of interest in the event payload and towing are not significantly affected in a negative manner. Plus the cost would have to be reasonable enough to justify the upgrade.

shellshock likes this.
  26. Jun 8, 2021 at 4:19 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    The Tundra is a luxury to Toyota, it's not their moneymaker. They're after the lifetime Toyota owner who started in a Corolla, moved up to a Camry, got a Highlander with the kids, now need a truck for the house. Sure their happy to pull in outside buyers, but the way the truck market is now Toyota is going to be stuck doing a compromise. The big 3 have the luxury of having HD trucks to do the work (tow/haul big weight but are stiff and suck back fuel like no tomorrow) and the half tons can be big cars (spongey and economical).

And the diesel thing - I've been around them at work a lot, so I get the draw because of the insane power, but I'd never own one unless I towed north of 15k lbs. They are not worth the risk to have as a daily driver. Toyota is very smart to stay far away, don't waste money developing an engine that has a super small window of being useful.

Jwjeffy905 and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  27. Jun 8, 2021 at 4:34 PM
    harrydunn

harrydunn New Member

Member:
    Columbia, MO
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD -'05 Land Cruiser-'03 Cruiser-'93 Cruiser
    Call it, Friendo.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    monaco730, szabo101, Jernik and 2 others like this.
  28. Jun 8, 2021 at 4:41 PM
    Nowhereman

Nowhereman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Monterey Bay area
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 / TRD / Cement
    Rough Country shocks, ReTrax cover, Summo springs, black out badging, bed extender, "some other things I can't mention"
    You know, with all these "comments" positive and negative about Toyotas, one thing cannot be challenged; Toyatas continue to have far better resale than any other brand...

Kung, monaco730, shellshock and 4 others like this.
  29. Jun 8, 2021 at 4:43 PM
    BroTun13

BroTun13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Beaumont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 White Tundra SR5
    Let's hope Toyota really ups the payload capacity and mpgs a bit. The Ford Maverick that was released is advertised 1500lb payload and 40mpg. Lol. I know it not apples to apples but I just find it funny on paper that little grocery getter truck is comparable payload wise to the Tundra.

abcinv and Ellis_McPickle like this.
  30. Jun 8, 2021 at 5:14 PM
    harrydunn

harrydunn New Member

Member:
    Columbia, MO
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD -'05 Land Cruiser-'03 Cruiser-'93 Cruiser
    Call it, Friendo.
    Bit better payload, better towing, same reliablity, better mpg (not a huge deal for me personally as I've always had gas hogs), bit of an appearance refresh and maybe a new fun gadget or two. That's all I'm really wanting. I'd buy a 2025 3rd Gen if they still made them then. They're beautiful, reliable trucks. I don't need all of the space age buttons in my wife's BMW. I need a truck. Just my .02. "Don't taze me BRO!"

PS Wife's BMW X3 XDrive 35i M Sport - Before 40,000 miles, turbo charge pipe exploded in Utah, right rear wheel bearing shot, front left tie rod shot. Probably not gonna be in my garage much longer. It drives amazingly though. Fast little sucker.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    2undra likes this.
To Top