1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022 Tundra Platinum 14" Screen and Nav Issues

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by atrouth, Jul 20, 2022.

1. Jul 20, 2022 at 11:02 AM
    atrouth

atrouth [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Platinum CrewMax
    I recently upgraded from my Tacoma to a new Tundra, generally speaking, I love the truck so far. About a week or two after owning it, I noticed some gray spots on the 14 " (JBL/Platinum model) touchscreen and tried to clean them off. After they wouldnt come off, I looked at a few different angles it appeared that the spots were between the color and the backlighting of the screen, mainly noticeable on lighter screens when like nav in daylight mode or the radio. I had my dealership take a look at it when I was having them install the console safe and they suggested replacing the radio under warranty. I insisted I was mainly concerned with documenting in case it got worse but they said it should be replaced.

Fast forward and they replaced the radio (not sure what all parts they replaced) and the new radio has the dots in the exact same spot as before. I cannot seem to find a wiring diagram and the parts diagrams I've found are not great, but I am not sure if the screen and radio are same thing, or if they replaced the radio and used the same screen. When I went to pick up the truck I asked to see the old screen because I wanted to see how it was constructed to help explain what the dots were, but UPS had apparently picked it up already. The new radio has a new radio ID, so something is new, but the dots lead me to believe the screen wasnt replaced, which was the problem before.

On top of the original issue still being present, the nav on the radio doesn't work (gives me an error when I hit subscribe), the GPS signal icon in the top right of the screen has a line through it and the clock will not automatically set (at least not accurately). The option to set up a driver profile and link a key are both completely gone from the settings screen, so I cannot link the truck to the Toyota app, which means my XM subscription will not transfer (and could also be the GPS issue?) The dealer was planning to check a new one to see if the screen issue was present, but I definitely dont think its a normal thing, especially on a $65k truck

2. Jul 20, 2022 at 1:13 PM
    jproy12

jproy12 ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    JP
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 Supersonic Red Platinum Hybrid
    I also have the same grey/black dots in my 14" screen, doesn't seem to be uncommon.

3. Jul 20, 2022 at 2:12 PM
    Kagisexton

Kagisexton New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Platinum
    Same dots on mine, right up top and center. Toyota has been so shitty at dealing with everything else that I’m not even going to bring it up.

Toyota is going to learn very quickly that people who pay $70K for pickup trucks have a certain level of expectation.

4. Jul 20, 2022 at 4:03 PM
    doublethebass

doublethebass New Member

Member:
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro 6MT
    you guys have any pics of these dots?

5. Jul 21, 2022 at 3:18 AM
    atrouth

atrouth [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    I can see if I can get the pics to show up, taking pics of the screen is hard to focus since the camera picks up the refresh that we can't see. Mine are near the top of the screen, centered. mostly in two semi-circular groups with some strays on either side, they look more like small hashes since they are longer than dots, looks to be between the backlight and the actual display since the color rendering appears over top of them. I would definitely expect a higher level of quality from a truck like this

doublethebass[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jul 21, 2022 at 3:21 AM
    atrouth

atrouth [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    I agree, I brought it up just to have it documented in case it got worse after the warranty expired, but the dealer insisted on replacing the radio, just seemed odd that the same exact dots appeared, but its tough finding one to compare it to right now. I have a case open with Toyota and they have been helpful so far, but its super frustrating and more just a nuisance than anything. They very well could have been there since the first day and I didnt notice them, I usually have nav up anyhow and I cant see the dots on the colored screen. I only noticed it when the factory screen popped up one day and they were pretty obvious against the white background

7. Jul 21, 2022 at 3:22 AM
    atrouth

atrouth [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    Interesting, I tried searching around and couldn't find anything, but may have been the keywords I was using. Have yours been there since the start or did they just appear one day?

8. Jul 21, 2022 at 3:30 AM
    jproy12

jproy12 ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    JP
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Seeing the truck is not even a week old, with less than 500 miles, I'll say they've been there since new.

Here's a pic

20220718_204039.jpg

doublethebass likes this.
  9. Jul 21, 2022 at 3:59 AM
    atrouth

atrouth [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    I wish mine was that limited (unless they are not all showing up). I have two circular areas that each have a couple dozen of those spots, each of the areas is probably about the size of a 50 cent piece. I wonder if the screen isnt sealed and dust or something is getting down in there.

10. Jul 21, 2022 at 5:26 AM
    Kagisexton

Kagisexton New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Platinum
    It’s hard to photograph and definitely worse in person. You can only really see it when there’s a white background

I can’t imagine buying ANY other electronic device with an LCD/touch screen and it having debris under the screen.

ABB4CBA1-7EC5-45C9-A2AE-4A54D71D7755.jpg

11. Jul 21, 2022 at 5:32 AM
    atrouth

atrouth [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    This is more what mine looks like, considering the cost of the infotainment system, it really shouldn't be an issue to just accept. When I looked online for a diagram, that part is showing up at more than $6,500. That type of quality is unacceptable for a $1,000 tablet, let alone something of that cost.

12. Jul 21, 2022 at 5:33 AM
    doublethebass

doublethebass New Member

Member:
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro 6MT
    jeez those would drive me nuts. Hope you guys find a fix

13. Jul 21, 2022 at 5:34 AM
    jproy12

jproy12 ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    JP
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I really think it is dust under the screen/LCD and not dead pixels, if it were pixels it would probably show with other background than just white.

14. Jul 21, 2022 at 5:39 AM
    atrouth

atrouth [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    I agree, I spent some time flipping screens and it definitely looks more like something in there instead of dead pixels, especially since the colors are overall unaffected and its mainly visible in lighter screens. Mine hasnt really gotten any worse than it was when I first noticed it, just seems really weird that the screen was allegedly replaced and the spots are still there, exactly the same. Especially seeing that there is some variance to others having issues, some better some worse.

jproy12[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jul 21, 2022 at 11:30 AM
    atrouth

atrouth [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    This is what mine looks like

16. Jul 22, 2022 at 1:47 PM
    jmay86

jmay86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '22 Lunar Rock LTD DC TRD-OR
    I started a thread about this a month or so ago... Just this week received an update from my dealer that Toyota approved a replacement screen, but no ETA as parts are backordered nationwide... Some of the examples here are much worse than mine, but it seems to be a more common issue than originally thought...

I generally keep my head unit on Carplay in dark mode, so it doesn't bother me much currently...

17. May 16, 2023 at 2:21 AM
    Taikowaza

Taikowaza New Member

Member:
    Atrouth I just had my screen reinstalled as well. I also have the line through the GPS signal icon and the time won’t update on its own. Option to set up profile is also gone. How did you resolve the issue? Thanks!!

18. Apr 23, 2024 at 12:37 AM
    TI 143

TI 143 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tinh
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tundra SR5 Luna Rock
    I'm having issues with my LCD screen going out and Mutiple sensor are popping up. My 2022 Tundra SR5 TRD only has 20k miles on it. It's been over a week and no ETA on my truck. Anyone has the same issue. I need help this is my only ride to get around.

19. Apr 23, 2024 at 1:09 AM
    terraj66

terraj66 New Member

Member:
    Las vegas
    Not sure about the grey dots, but I did the 8inch to 14 inch swap myself from a unit I bought off eBay and I had to bring it in to Toyota to add my profile and nav. They charged me a hundred dollars for the service.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  20. Apr 23, 2024 at 8:14 AM
    BLCKBIRD

BLCKBIRD New Member

Member:
    Carlsbad, CA
    I had the same thing and realized I’m an idiot and I never took off the factory screen protector. Fixed it instantly

Products Discussed in

To Top