1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022: Tundra or Lexus GX 460?

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by hskbvn, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Sep 20, 2021 at 1:44 PM
    hskbvn

hskbvn [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello all,
    We are in for a new suv/truck: either a GX460 or a Limited/platinum Tundra

Currently we have an old MDX (since it's old, i can tow my 3000lb boat/trailer and not worry it getting dirty [​IMG] ), a 2014 Highlander with captain chairs (my wife drives)
    we often go out to dinners, or road-trips with 5 people (us + 2kids + mother in law), and we don't like the fact that my son has to sit in the third row, so my wife wants a new car with spacious 5 seats.

I always want a tundra, but wife doesn't care too much, she likes nice smooth SUV [​IMG]
    Well, 2 weeks ago, we deposited with 2 different dealers for a new GX460.

Until yesterday, the tundra grows on me again with the new details for 2022 show
    So i tried to convince my wife for the tundra, and she APPROVES [​IMG]

We don't off road, we live in NorCa, so not worry about snow or wet conditions.
    One of the reason she approves is that we can make one trip to the airport with all our languages (usually i have to make 2 trips).
    I feel bad a little since i will have a new Tundra, and my wife has to give up her luxury GX 460 [​IMG]

I would like to hear from this forum what things do i give up if i go with the Toyota Tundra instead of the GX460?
    Thanks

2. Sep 20, 2021 at 1:48 PM
    nodak67

nodak67 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    23 Tundra Platinum Blueprint CM 4x4 5.5ft Non HV
    thats a slippery slope with the WAF mode in full swing. i would say go with the lexus to appease the WAF in the long run. luckily for me mine only drives trucks and she is over the tacoma small interior size.

i personally like my 4runner more than a tundra/tacoma. i would love to get a gx460 but i am 500 miles away from a authorized service center so warranty work is a logistical nightmare. they will come get it about 1/2 way, but i would have to pick it up afterwards.

hskbvn[OP] likes this.
  3. Sep 20, 2021 at 2:06 PM
    Mr. White

Mr. White Poco Loco

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Family 4x4
    Interesting question. My brother has a 2018 GX460 and a current Tundra. I've driven them both (and my Tundra) and these are my thoughts:

GX - Nicer interior, quieter, easier to drive. All wheel drive and better balanced, so it's more sure-footed in the rain than any truck will be. Tried and true V8 that will go forever. Tried and true platform that Lexus has had time to work out all the kinks. I've had 3 people across the back seat of the GX and can say that it is a little tighter than the current Tundra.

New Tundra - supposed to be nicer, quieter, better driving than the current generation. Truck bed gives a lot of flexibility. "New" 3.5 TTV6 is not actually new, Toyota has been using a variant of it for years in the Lexus LS. It is a new application of the engine, so you'll likely have some growing pains.

Overall, both would be great but I love having a truck and will always chose truck over SUV.

4. Sep 20, 2021 at 2:46 PM
    toyofan87

toyofan87 Beer thirty

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Gettysburg, Penna
    Vehicle:
    80- Longbed/87-4Runner/08-Sr5 Tundra
    Toytec 2.0 Aluma 3/1.5 lift with JBA's UCA Falkens AT3 295/70/18
    Welcome

hskbvn[OP] likes this.
  5. Sep 20, 2021 at 3:14 PM
    hskbvn

hskbvn [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks Nodak67, Mr. White, and Toyofan87.
    I've never owned a Lexus before but test drove the GX 460, and like it a lot.
    My 3 brothers have 3 Tundras, so I've driven them quite a few times when i visit them. That's why i really want to get one but hadn't passed the WAF until now.

6. Sep 20, 2021 at 4:39 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Welcome from NY.

Good luck with your decision.

NewImprovedRon and hskbvn[OP] like this.
  7. Sep 21, 2021 at 6:46 AM
    Melikeymy beer

Melikeymy beer No cooler for you!

Member:
    Muscogee Nation
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platypus Tundra
    Welcome. My decision tree goes something like this...

Do I need a truck to do truck stuff?

Yes - buy a truck
    No - buy something else

But that's just me. Good luck with your decision.

8. Sep 21, 2021 at 6:51 AM
    TRDSPEC

TRDSPEC New Member

Member:
    This is what I was going to say.

If the SUV can satisfy the towing needs then the SUV is going to be more comfortable to drive than any truck.

9. Sep 21, 2021 at 6:52 AM
    1UP

1UP Truck Gang

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Red CM TRD sport 4x4
    GX

TK1979 likes this.
  10. Sep 21, 2021 at 6:55 AM
    nuclear

nuclear New Member

Member:
    How much luggage do you bring that you need to do two trips?

monaco730 likes this.
  11. Sep 21, 2021 at 7:05 AM
    hskbvn

hskbvn [OP] New Member

Member:
    5 people and luggage for 2 weeks trip in a Highlander :)

12. Sep 21, 2021 at 7:10 AM
    TRDSPEC

TRDSPEC New Member

Member:
    As mentioned, Highlander is much more comfortable for trips lasting longer than an hour than a TRD Pro even with its smooth Fox suspension.

TK1979 likes this.
  13. Sep 21, 2021 at 7:10 AM
    hskbvn

hskbvn [OP] New Member

Member:
    for now, i only need to pull a 3000lb boat, but never know we might buy a travel trailer in the future :)
    [​IMG]
    we tend to keep our car for a long time, so have to think in the long run too.

TK1979 likes this.
  14. Sep 21, 2021 at 7:13 AM
    TRDSPEC

TRDSPEC New Member

Member:

Have you actually weighed that boat and trailer together? It looks like it might weigh more than 3000lbs. Many times the manufacturer's specified boat weight does not include the weight of the engine or the trailer.

JuicyJ likes this.
  15. Sep 21, 2021 at 7:14 AM
    Grumpy Uncle

Grumpy Uncle Pushing string down the hall SSEM #10

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black CM Tundra TRD Off Road
    4:88s and Auburn LSD, dealership faux Pro, 35" BFGs on XD wheels, OME Lift with Dakars
    I have both a Tundra and 460. Putting 5 people in a 460 vs my Tundra, I'll choose my Tundra everytime. You can put 5 people in a 460 but you won't see me sitting in the back seat and I'm only 5'7".

TK1979, NewImprovedRon, ezdog and 2 others like this.
  16. Sep 21, 2021 at 7:19 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    I am a big fan of the GX460 and would love to have one. I do construction management though and need a truck, although the GX would probably be able to go everywhere I go in the truck; but sometimes I have to load stuff in the bed and then the truck is a better option.
    That being said, we use the Tundra for all our family trips. We are so used to the space in the bed that we would never be able to go on road trips in anything else, unless we pull a luggage trailer.
    We love the room in the Tundra - the back seats have more leg room than any SUV on the market, and it is wider than the GX; great to have a few extra inches, especially if one or more of the kids are still in booster seats. My kids are grown (6'-4" and 5'-11") so the rear seats are great for them also.
    I find the driver seat in the Tundra just as comfortable as the seat in the GX, and I have more room to move around and stretch my legs during long road trips.

upload_2021-9-21_10-19-23.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  17. Sep 21, 2021 at 7:20 AM
    THinTX

THinTX New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM DC 4X4
    Sell both old cars, get Tundra AND Lexus! Win-win!

18. Sep 21, 2021 at 7:26 AM
    Platinumcrewmax

Platinumcrewmax New Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '18 MGM Platinum Crewmax
    I also have both a 2016 GX460 and a 2018 Tundra Crewmax... the wife primarily drives the GX but I do like it. I do however prefer the Tundra, especially with the trim I chose in the Platinum. It's luxury, it's roomy as hell, and you can tow anything. Not to mention you can throw all your luggage in the bed of the pickup. Id go Tundra all day on this... the only con is parking it. Obviously way easier to find a spot in the GX as opposed to the Tundra. Good luck in your decision.

TK1979 and Tundra_Dawg like this.
  19. Sep 21, 2021 at 7:27 AM
    MightyTundraGA

MightyTundraGA New Member

Member:
    I had a 2014 LX that I sold to get a 2021 Tundra Platinum. I miss the quietness of the LX, the smoothness of the ride, and the sound system. Even the 2014 LX sound system is better than the current 2021 JBL system. I loved the LX, but with a family of 4 it's tight. The Tundra has a ton more room inside and my wife likes the fact that it has more cup holders. For some reason she always has 4 cups of some sort in hand (water, cocktail...). I ended up having to get a Thule cargo carrier for the roof of the LX and then a trailer hitch cargo carrier for the Yeti. I realize I'm talking about the LX and not the GX, but I imagine the size is fairly similar. The LX was deceivingly small due to the fold up jump seats. The LX got similar gas mileage because it has the same engine as the Tundra, but I imagine the GX gets better gas mileage. Honestly, for the amenities, the technology, etc., I imagine the GX would be a better fit if you don't need a "truck to do truck things" like the other guys were saying.

coldcanuk and TK1979 like this.
  20. Sep 21, 2021 at 7:47 AM
    nodak67

nodak67 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    well doing a trip 1700 miles trip 1 way with adults in the tundra crew cab, it was nice that each person had about 1ft of space between the people in the back seat and enough leg room behind the front seats to stuff a cadaver between the person sitting in the back and the rear of the back seat :)

driver seat in the platinum was more than great especially with the leg extension bolster. gotta love 12 way seats :) once you had a toyota 12 way its hard to deal with 8 or 10 way toyota seats.

only the 12 way and up gets the leg extension bolster

Tundrastruck91 and Sumo91 like this.
  21. Sep 21, 2021 at 8:07 AM
    hskbvn

hskbvn [OP] New Member

Member:
    Money wise, i think a GX premium is about the same as a Tundra Platinum.
    what are the differences between Platinum and Limited Tundra? I was thinking about a limited, but sounds like the Platinum has some nice upgrades :)

Below is my pre order GX :)
    [​IMG]

TK1979 likes this.
  22. Sep 21, 2021 at 8:18 AM
    nodak67

nodak67 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    well a decent optioned tundra platinum is around 57k msrp + DPH fee.

but it will not be near what a lexus will be in interior wise stuff

23. Sep 21, 2021 at 8:30 AM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    Exactly my feeling about the 2 too!

There is no way anyone but you can decide which is right for you and luckily no one else has to pay for it in any way either up front or riding with you when you discover that the extra space in the truck is hard to appreciate until you need it.

I think the Tundra rides and drives just fine and it is a truck and does not try to be anything else,at least not so far but I find the GX cramped and with little space tpo get comfy on long trips where I need to stretch while driving or even just move side to side in the seat at all.

Your experience will be different obviously so there are no bad choices between the two if you fit in the GX.

Boerseun[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Sep 21, 2021 at 8:36 AM
    LuvCRVs

LuvCRVs New Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    Hard Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover, OEM Bed Mat, OEM All Weather Floor Mats
    After I retired two years ago, my decision tree changed bigly. It is now:

Do I need it? Don't care.
    Is it practical? Don't care.
    What is the price? Don't care.
    What is the estimated MPG? Don't care.
    Is it comfortable and make me smile when I drive it? Yes....buy it!

25. Sep 21, 2021 at 10:43 AM
    Melikeymy beer

Melikeymy beer No cooler for you!

Member:
    Muscogee Nation
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platypus Tundra
    Bingo!

That's exactly why asking others about these types of things is usually not productive imo. Everyone is different. If I didn't need and constantly use my truck to haul and tow, I'd sell it tomorrow and get a Macan. I don't find the Tundra comfortable at all compared to our ES. But that's just me.

Also, grats on retirement. I retired 5 years ago and glad I did.

TK1979 likes this.
  26. Sep 23, 2021 at 8:43 PM
    craigy

craigy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen Tundra
    Late to reply, but buy your wife what she wants.

Key to happiness.

hskbvn[OP] likes this.
  27. Sep 24, 2021 at 10:43 PM
    hskbvn

hskbvn [OP] New Member

Member:
    After lot of thoughts, I decided to get the GX.
    I have a lot of expensive toys (boat, high end camera gears, Drones, RC cars, whisky :) ) and my wife doesn't spend a lot on her toys, so i could not pull the trigger on the Tundra. I'd like to make her happy :)
    To be honest, i really don't need a Tundra, but just want one. The tundra can wait for now :)

This GX will be my wife everyday car, and i can drive it when the whole family going together.

We pay MSRP, and finance with our regular bank at 2.29%
    Thank you all for your advice, thoughts, and comments.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Sep 25, 2021 at 4:34 AM
    Dag3

Dag3 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vail, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 crew max limited
    Wise choice. I had a GX before my tundra and really loved it. If I didn’t need a truck I’d have another GX.

AZBoatHauler likes this.
  29. Sep 25, 2021 at 12:52 PM
    MNFisherman

MNFisherman New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    F-150 5.0
    Excellent choice, she will love the GX and the Tundra will be waiting for when you upgrade.

Katblackdiesel likes this.
  30. Oct 5, 2021 at 1:02 AM
    Seanzky

Seanzky New Member

Member:
    When I saw this thread, I felt compelled to create an account and chime in because I am in the exact same predicament that the OP was in... and it looks like I'm leaning towards a '22 GX as well. Or should I stick with my dream truck? A '22 Tundra TRD Pro?

I currently drive an '18 Taco TRD Off Road and the dealership I leased from is practically begging me to return it a year early. I know it's because their lots are empty and they can sell this truck for a big profit, but then what would I buy in it's place? (This was my first time leasing and I did it a couple of years ago just to see how I would feel about owning a truck again. The other reason was to fill the void while I waited for the '22 Tundra TRD Pro. The plan was a win-win for me and I was excited to count down the days.) However, I didn't expect an oil spill to happen while a hundred plus ships are queued up on the coast of California, and this chip shortage nonsense. So, now I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

My Taco only has 18k miles and it's in perfect shape thanks to getting to work from home. If I trade in, according to Lexus' appraisal, I'd have about 3k in equity. I know they'll turn around and sell it for about $8k more because I'm seeing a couple with the same trim as mine in my area and with a few thousands MORE on the odometer than mine selling for about $41k!!! The day I leased, the sticker was only $38k! I have no doubt mine would sell for more. I feel pressured to trade it in now, but the mark up on any new 4Runner, Taco, current gen Tundra are around 7% by pretty much all of the Toyota dealerships within 30 miles around me... if I can even find any that's 4x4 in a trim I want. Not to mention, if I hold off for the new Tundra, I would only want the TRD Pro. I no longer wish to lease and I only did it just this once as I've mentioned above.

So now I'm thinking, should I take a chance and wait until next year when the TRD Pro comes out and most likely pay an exuberant amount for one all the while hoping my Tacoma will still be in enough demand to command a good value to trade in with? (And this is assuming I don't get into any accidents or drive up the odometer in the interim...) Or do I get a '22 GX now with no mark up instead? One thing I know for sure is that I don't think it's a good idea to wait for October '23 to turn in my lease. I get the feeling I should decide now.

My reason for considering the GX is that I absolutely need some kind of off road capability (not necessarily rock crawling or anything like that). I often go to the ranch and I would prefer 4WD. I even called Ford to see how long the Bronco wait line was and I was told it was up to 2 years. I hate Jeeps and I even considered a Rubicon, either a Wrangler or Gladiator... but then I snapped back to my senses. After paying about $14k so far for my Taco, I can't imagine buying it out for possibly an additional $30-40k. Having a truck bed has been very nice, though. My kids love it when they sit in the bed driving home from the community pool. Tossing stuff in the bed when I go out to the ranch makes it so easy, too, but my wife hates it on long drives. Lol. I know the Tundra will be better comfort-wise and she approves of me spending up to $65k for one. The GX is smoother yet and only $59k but then no more convenience of a truck bed for me. Decisions, decisions.

Sorry for the long post but I had to post this. It's 2:50am and I want to decide by next week because I don't want to lose any more sleep. Lol. No, but seriously, Lexus is trying to bring in a GX Premium on 10/9 and I don't want to waste their time if waiting for the TRD Pro is a better call. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    craigy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top