1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022 Owners: Do you miss the v8?

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by gamecockgrad1215, Mar 6, 2022.

1. Mar 6, 2022 at 2:03 PM
    Medic343

Medic343 5+4+3=2

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    '22 SR5 TRD off-road
    Driving experience is a whole different subject. You have 400 horsepower in a Volkswagen and 400 horsepower in a minivan of course they will drive different. I was simply stating I thought it was funny how people word it as "I miss the V8 power" but there is more power in the new V6.

Rwaters and Jernik[QUOTED] like this.
  2. Mar 6, 2022 at 2:05 PM
    doggiecareman

doggiecareman YOLO / Best to do it with a Toyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    North Central CT
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Army Green Limited Double Cab TRD Off Road 2021
    TRD dual exhaust/Factory running boards/center console safe/Truxedo X15 Tonneau/ceramic coated/ceramic window tint/BFG KO2's/swing cases/debadged
    It’s all so much conjecture on the longevity piece. I have a 21 tundra have potential lineup for getting a 22 and only considering it because of the miles per gallon. but unless they give me close to what I paid for my truck and sell me the 22 for MSRP I wont be considering it. Also the variations are so limited as to how they’re coming and I’m not gonna do it unless it’s just the right configuration. i’m also wrestling with the fact that the rear bumper set up sucks, there are no caps being made for them yet and side boards along with no tow hooks.

Joro43 likes this.
  3. Mar 6, 2022 at 2:18 PM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    The problem with the Tacoma is not the transmission, it’s the engine. The 3.5 doesn’t have any low end torque. On paper, it makes more power than the 4.0 liter but it’s peak torque is at higher rpm and it only makes something like 180~190 lb-ft at 1500 rpm without needing to enrich the fuel mixture.
    The Tundra on the other hands has plenty of low end torque, much more than the outgoing V8. Boost pressure is required to make that torque but the boost comes quickly at most cruising speeds.

Outbound, Tundra-G and Jernik[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Mar 6, 2022 at 3:08 PM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    All will be well and good for the new model as long as all stays well and good with the new model.

I will only believe it though after it proves to be reliable as they have in the past.

Time takes Time

5. Mar 6, 2022 at 3:24 PM
    nowayout

nowayout New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    NY
    Vehicle:
    17 CM
    If it wasn't such an ugly truck I would've considered it but my 17 will stay with me till it or I die.

6. Mar 6, 2022 at 4:01 PM
    TTund16

TTund16 New Member

Member:
    I like to see the test results for towing in death valley with both engines! Anything melting under the hood with TT?

in general tow with the V8 and pop up the hood and it's amazing you don't feel much heat. Turbo engines on the other hand you can BBQ on without even towing ...

That's my only concern if I'll ever have to upgrade my Tundra.
    At one point I was considering F150 before buying the Tundra but only the V8 (5.0 L?) and not the smaller V6 Eco-boost.

Op, I would miss the sound but not the heat.

Seafury likes this.
  7. Mar 6, 2022 at 4:05 PM
    Rwaters

Rwaters New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra TRD SR5 Crewmax
    I don’t miss it one bit. The technology they use today in every part of these vehicles, all modern vehicles, makes the old school stuff just noise. Turbo lag is basically zero and they’re built to work. Yes they have some minor issues, but all of the brands do. People (mostly who don’t even own a 3rd Gen) keep whining about the wastegate issue, yet the total number of confirmed cases is really low. Other people cry about V6 TT but they’ve never even test driven one.

The best advice I can give is test drive one and get a feel for yourself. The only thing I’m learning is if you want something specific, you’ll have to order it. Even then it’s not a guarantee it’ll show up that way. My only opinion/complaint is the MPG is not what they advertise. If you’re used to getting crappy fuel mileage then the third Gen will be an upgrade in efficiency. If you’re coming from another brand then you might not like the outcome.

Otherwise, I absolutely love this truck and can’t wait to see what the hybrid Max does. I may have to upgrade

8. Mar 6, 2022 at 4:31 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    Anyone who thinks this needs to see a recent Pickup Plus SUV Talks Youtube video - he tested the new Tundra, F150 PB, Chevy Baby Duramax, Ram Hemi with identical towing loops with roughly 7000lbs IIRC. Diesel hands down was the best engine - but the Tundra V6 was second. And the Ram Hemi is better than the Tundra 5.7 (I have both and the 8 speed does wonders) so it's pretty clear cut the new V6TT is an improvement over the 5.7 in every way except sound.

Toyota has surprised me with the tuning of the V6TT - I thought for sure it would be maxed out on efficiency, but it sure looks based on Youtube tests they targeted towing as the main target for the new engine

TMack77 and Outbound like this.
  9. Mar 6, 2022 at 4:32 PM
    Tundra-G

Tundra-G New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Ltd 4x4 TRD Off-road
    A word about the MPG. Turbo engines usually give you the option of better mpg if you want, but you have to be really careful and feather the throttle, where turbos are barely spooling.

If you have a lead foot and demand the peak power all the time, do not expect great MPGs.

Depending on my driving style, my average mpg can vary anywhere between 14-18MPG combined on the same routes.

Seafury, TTund16 and Acedude like this.
  10. Mar 6, 2022 at 4:45 PM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    Happy to. I plan to keep the truck for at least 10 years. I expect some growing pains, but I believe the Toyota reliability will continue. It's not like this engine is entirely new. Toyota has been using a variation of it in other vehicles for years and is far from inexperienced with turbos. I have a feeling that not only will the V6 do everything the V8 can do, it will do it better with the extra power and torque.

I could have bought a leftover '21. Didn't see the point. Other than the power and bloated size, the 2.5 Gen trucks are a step down from my 1st Gen in my opinion. The '22 is actually a step up in all things; comfort, tech, storage, payload, power, fuel economy.

11. Mar 6, 2022 at 6:30 PM
    thundra the tundra

thundra the tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brody
    Vehicle:
    2022 Blueprint SR5 TRD Off Road
    My dealer gave me what I paid for my 21, plus threw in tonneau and skid plate and a 5 year 120,000km warranty, and charged MSRP. I made like hay and took it. Especially since they have been trying to fix a misalignment issue on my 21.

You have all the power in your trade right now. Don’t expect less.

The 21 is destroying my bank account in fuel economy at less than 12mpg. So any increase will be welcome. New truck should be here next weekend.

12. Mar 6, 2022 at 7:55 PM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    That’s why the grill is so big… everyone is complaining about it being ugly but it’s that size to cool down the powertrain even in Death Valley. I don’t see this powertrain having any issue towing up the 10% grade at the west entrance of DV but I wouldn’t want to have to exit back that way with a heavy trailer.

TMack77 and TTund16[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Mar 6, 2022 at 8:53 PM
    Fish River Tundra

Fish River Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JD
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    ‘16 Platinum
    Get long tube headers and race exhaust from @dirtydeeds

v8 : 430 hp 490ft lbs

v6: 389 hp 471 ft lbs

v8 wins for much much less than a new truck

07DCLimited, Seafury and Y0TA PR0 like this.
  14. Mar 6, 2022 at 9:13 PM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    295k Supercharged 2008
    By that logic you should've modified your previous vehicle instead of buying a 5.7 tundra. Arguing modifications vs a new vehicle are pointless unless you buy new things solely based on power/price. Comparing anything modified to stock is not remotely an apples to apples comparison, what's on the showroom now vs then is all that really matters.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  15. Mar 6, 2022 at 9:25 PM
    Acedude

Acedude New Member

Member:
    Colorado Plateau
    Vehicle:
    2019 Sequoia SR5 4WD
    RCI aluminum front skid, Timbren rear bumpstops, Carhartt seat covers and cargo area cover, Weathertech floorliners, Hewitt SAIP bypass, genuinecoolingsystems trans cooler, Lexus front diff fill/drain plugs
    ~6% more torque than the 5.7l. Peak torque is at 2400RPM vs peak at 3400RPM for the 5.7l.

16. Mar 6, 2022 at 9:56 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    Uh huh. My in laws have a 2014 Ford EcoBoost that they use to tow a travel trailer. Truck has north of 150,000 miles on it. So 8 year old Ford TTV6 is still running strong, you think Toyota can’t manage similar results?

You’re stuck in the past.

17. Mar 6, 2022 at 10:03 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    Even accounting for modification ability is still valid. How much money does it cost to gain significant power with one engine vs the other if modifications are on the table.

A well designed turbocharged engine will win the $$$/hp gained argument every time in the budget range below the cost of adding forced induction to a naturally aspirated V8.

The 3UR-FE doesn’t wake up and make significant power gains until a blower gets put on top for over $5,000. It shouldn’t take much more than a $700 tune and willingness to run 91 octane for the V35A-FTS to make another 60hp with some fancy new 1’s and 0’s. For under $5,000 at some point aftermarket turbos will be attainable as well.

snivilous[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Mar 6, 2022 at 10:13 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1.) Not everyone wants to listen to long tubes and a race exhaust droning on and on when it comes to road trips or daily driver duties. Plus making yourself known to everyone around that you’re a douchebag with a loud truck is never a good look. A sports car or muscle car with a rowdy exhaust, big cam, heads, and the nuts to back it up is one thing, a pickup truck with a loud exhaust is just lane 99% of the time. The stock cam timing for a truck is never going to sound like anything special and just ends up sounding like flatulence. That shit is for Ram owners with flat bill hats and vape pens.

2.) Assuming tuning support comes out for the V35A-FTS it’s probably going to make a lot more power gains, for a lot less money than the cost of long tube headers, and a new exhaust. Plus the V35A-FTS will still be quiet and not annoy the neighbors with douchebag sounds.

19. Mar 7, 2022 at 5:19 AM
    Rwaters

Rwaters New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I let a coworker with a 2.5 Gen drive my truck because he’s been on the fence and he was blown away by the response and power. Plus the back window rolls down again

TMack77 and NoRcptn like this.
  20. Mar 7, 2022 at 5:23 AM
    Rwaters

Rwaters New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Done

https://burgertuning.com/products/jb4-for-toyota-tundra

21. Mar 7, 2022 at 5:58 AM
    Outbound

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    And just like supercharging, how many people are actually going to do that? What kind of numbers will the V6 turn out with a tune and performance parts? We'll have to wait and see, but I bet before long a modded V6 will continue to crank out higher numbers than the V8.

22. Mar 7, 2022 at 5:59 AM
    articdesert

articdesert Will work for truck parts

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 1794 MGM
    didn't we all want the most obnoxiously loud vehicles once in our lives? high school through college? we thought it made us look cool. now that our brains have a few more wrinkles we just wanna save a few bucks and fine tune our trucks for efficiency and performance

23. Mar 7, 2022 at 6:04 AM
    DBamaC

DBamaC New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darryl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tundra Limited TRD Offoad
    BAKFlip MX4 Bed mat LED bed lights LED Interior lights 12Volt Solution’s remote start Kenwood Excelon DMX1057XR
    That's the deal I got...or will be getting when it gets here. '22 Limited TRD OR. They game me $3K more than I paid for my '19 Limited TRD OR used (and I felt that was a decent deal) 2.5 years ago and that covered the ridiculous $3k mark-up. Not really a great deal, but for 70K less miles and a warranty I'm satisfied. Like you, I was really picky about what I wanted and found the exact truck I had spec'd. I guess we'll see how happy I am when it arrives...in 6-8 weeks (hopefully).

doggiecareman[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Mar 7, 2022 at 8:06 AM
    sask3m

sask3m New Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Black 2019 SR5
    I'd have preferred they had just added the v-6 to the old body style.

Seafury likes this.
  25. Mar 7, 2022 at 8:08 AM
    Rwaters

Rwaters New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    We’re getting older and wiser. Plus, some of us can and will eventually have an obnoxious toy of some sort.

26. Mar 7, 2022 at 8:14 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    Fake news lol. You couldn't pay me to own a 22.

07DCLimited, ARES35, TXBrit and 5 others like this.
  27. Mar 7, 2022 at 8:17 AM
    Outbound

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Not me. I've never liked or wanted a loud vehicle. LOL.

Terndrerrr likes this.
  28. Mar 7, 2022 at 8:22 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    I've never understood driving a particular truck simply because of the way it sounds. I like my v8 because it is time tested, not because of how it sounds. But I also appreciate the stock exhaust. It's quiet enough for me. Agreed that v8s are going away over time. Feels like owning a piece of history, lol.

29. Mar 7, 2022 at 8:29 AM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Correct.

Loud, lumpy idling, track toy with enough power to make your palms sweaty and scare the shit out of you and make you breath hard like you’ve been in a fight once in awhile. A car that forces you to become a better driver lest it murder you = cool and manly.

Loud truck just for the sake of being loud and drawing attention to yourself = high schooler bullshit. No one is impressed.

30. Mar 7, 2022 at 8:35 AM
    Kung

Kung Dead sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    I have indeed driven one; and it's faster and smoother than my current truck.

It's also got more issues to work though, and being as my truck is paid off, it'd be probly a $12k or so loan if I were to trade mine in, for what I want (SR5 CrewMax w/TRD Off-Road package). I don't want more and smoother power enough to pay an extra $12K. *shrug*

There's also the question of need/capability. I drive mine all the time, but not for long distances; and the MOST I've ever towed with mine is a 20' trailer, maybe 2x a year. My old F150 5.0L could handle it. My current 2020 handles it just fine; so I have no need to go obtain a $12K loan just so I can do all of the above...somewhat smoother and faster than I currently do.

Products Discussed in

To Top