1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022+ Gen 3 Turbocharger Failure List.

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Coal Dragger, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Apr 26, 2022 at 7:49 PM
    sbxx312

sbxx312 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport
    Small barky kind of dog.

hagrid likes this.
  2. Apr 29, 2022 at 8:56 AM
    Coasty

Coasty New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2022 SRS Crew Max 6.5 4x4
    The thing that has me tempted to cancel my order is the fact that everybody knows about the issue but that has been no word from Toyota on the cause, I'm sure they know what happened as they have enough bad turbos/wastegates to figure that out. The fact they are pumping out the trucks with the exact same part on it is the most unnerving part. I"m curious what the failure % is currently and what are we going to see when trucks are hitting 50,000 miles? Is it going to be bad enough you want to dump it before your warranty expires?

Ranger2005[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Apr 29, 2022 at 9:08 AM
    Ranger2005

Ranger2005 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 1794 Crewmax
    Running boards, ceramic coating, sound system
    This is the exact circumstances that turned me away from Chevy and Dodge. They know they have an issue but keep on pushing them out. Chevy was a steering box issue on my 02 and the same issue on my 07. Dodge was manifold bolts on a friend's 01 then same thing on my 13. I guess it is just natural for the industry but I had more faith and trust in Toyota - until now. I certainly hope my 21 tundra is mature enough and issues have been resolved before this year model..

I suppose as long as they fix the issue in a reasonable time frame (year?) They won't fit in the same bucket as Chevy and Dodge.

4. Apr 29, 2022 at 9:13 AM
    Coasty

Coasty New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2022 SRS Crew Max 6.5 4x4
    That's true, my friend just had the manifold bolts replaced on his Ram, $1800 for one manifold, didn't even touch the other one. The repair for a turbo though would be much more than that if it's out of warranty as not many of us can yank the cab off the truck, I bet you'd get charged a days labor just to remove the cab, that's $1000 right away. If it was easy to do that would be one thing but having to get so invasive for the repair is scary when you see some of the mechanics I've seen at the OEM garages, some are awesome but not all of them are that experienced.

Ranger2005[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Apr 29, 2022 at 9:54 AM
    Cascades_TUNDRA

Cascades_TUNDRA New Member

Member:
    Keep all service records and count your days in the shop (days out of service). Contact a lemon law attorney. It will take awhile, no matter the outcome. You may get a settlement or qualify for lemon law. I have been through this with GM. Days in the shop are important, as that usually is the determining factor (usually within first 12 or 24 months) depending on your state. Generally, you will need at least 30 days out of service, but they don't have to be all the same visit. So if you have more problems, take the truck back to service and add more days.

tun_drew likes this.
  6. Apr 29, 2022 at 11:13 AM
    CelicaGT

CelicaGT New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra 1794 Blueprint
    Well, 257 miles in after delivery 10 days ago, I’ve got check engine, parking support, brake malfunction, reduced power, see dealer messages. Called and got a Svc Appt for next week. If it is the turbo wastegate issue, is it ok to keep driving it until the appointment? Service advisor said it was ok as long as the check engine light is solid and not blinking. Any other thoughts?

7. Apr 29, 2022 at 1:13 PM
    Novotz21

Novotz21 New Member

Member:
    Has an SR ever had this issue? Wondering if the wastegates are different due to the different tune? Might just be related to the small number of them in circulation.

8. Apr 29, 2022 at 4:54 PM
    anhnguyenict

anhnguyenict New Member

Member:
    Thank you for information.
    In case the car is lemon, is there any reimbursement more than a new car or purchase price (for example, the purchase price is $60k)?
    I mean we have to spend a lot of time to take the car to the dealership, talk with service advisor, lawyer, ... as well as 30 days we couldn't use the car.
    It costs us a lot.

9. Apr 29, 2022 at 6:03 PM
    Cascades_TUNDRA

Cascades_TUNDRA New Member

Member:
    In my state and in my experience no—maximum lemon law reward is a refund. I supposed it it caused you serious damages then possibly but not just for wasted time.

However it is possible that they will fix your car and pay a settlement and you keep the car. In my case, the amount of the settlement plus the value of the used car was more than the original amount l paid so you can come out ahead in that way. Receiving the settlement requires signing a statement that the car is not a lemon (even though it qualified for lemon law). Best thing to do is talk to a lemon law attorney. It will be free and they will let you know if you have a case. If you have a case they will represent you for free and get paid as part of your settlement. If you don’t have a case they won’t represent you.

Jay Ride likes this.
  10. May 5, 2022 at 4:48 PM
    HawaiianPunch

HawaiianPunch New Member

Member:
    I went into a dealership in Provo to get my windows seals addressed. I heard one the the techs talking about the wastegate issue. He said there were 10 trucks in the shop right then for the issue. He also said you want to baby the engine the first 1000 miles or so. No flooring it/ going over 60 etc.. I've been towing a 30 foot airstream since I hit around 1k miles and haven't had any issues and I really made that turbo work. SR5 Built in Dec/Jan 2021

Ranger2005 likes this.
  11. May 5, 2022 at 4:58 PM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax
    10 trucks in one dealer all at the same time?

holy failure rate locally , that’s crazy

Ranger2005 likes this.
  12. May 5, 2022 at 5:19 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    A truck you can’t drive at highway speeds the first 1000 miles?

That is fucking ridiculous nonsense. I would buy one and do all of those things the first 1000 miles just to blow it up repeatedly until Toyota has to buy it back under lemon law if it failed.

13. May 5, 2022 at 8:49 PM
    DaBears

DaBears New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manuel
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited
    Mine threw craps as well. Service rep said that Toyota is saying they need to replace the passenger side turbo with one from Japan because they have a better production line over there. No clue how accurate that is but I’m sure it’ll get fixed. Just a PITA until then. Still love the truck, huge upgrade from the taco as power and room is concerned.

tun_drew likes this.
  14. May 5, 2022 at 11:55 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    Interesting if true about the Japanese made version of this engine being better. I wonder if any 2022 Lexus LX600’s have had this issue?

15. May 6, 2022 at 12:03 AM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    10 at the shop? We’ve sold 20 of these trucks already and not one issue yet.

Well other than the recall for the parking monitor thingy fluff not working right.

elgreco and 22PlatWCP like this.
  16. May 6, 2022 at 8:18 AM
    CelicaGT

CelicaGT New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    1.) Build date. 03/22
    2.) In service date. 04/19/2022
    3.) Mileage and date of failure. 259 miles / 04/29/2022
    4.) Description of problem and resolution. Check engine with Parking Support, Brake Malfunction and Reduced Power lights on 4/29. 1st available dealer appt 5/4. Two days to diagnose turbo issue. Part ordered 5/6, no estimate of wait time for part. Corolla provided as a rental but I need a truck so they said I could keep driving mine until the part came in. I'm not convinced yet.

17. May 6, 2022 at 12:41 PM
    TJD1776

TJD1776 New Member

Member:
    Definitely following to see how long it takes to get your fully up and running again.

1. Build Date: 3/17/22 (delayed to idk when)
    2. In service: 4/15/22
    3. Mileage, Date of Failure: 750 - 5/2/22
    4. Parking Support, Brake Malfunction and Reduced Power CEL. Able to get dealer appointment for 5/5/22. ***Reduced Power went away on 5/3/22. Parking Support went away on 5/4/22...
    Took to dealership anyways, but was essentially told they can't do anything unless they are active (history codes mean nothing apparently). Got my truck back this morning 5/6/22, codes were cleared, seems to be OK, for now...

What I learned: take that s*** to the dealership immediately so you don't have to have the same annoyance happen to me. Now I'm just waiting for it to happen again, which my assumption is it will, and I'll have to do the process over again...

Cruser711 and Dmon187 like this.
  18. May 6, 2022 at 6:36 PM
    Dmon187

Dmon187 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    18x9 Method 316 wheels, TRD skid plate, Cat plate, Heritage grill with color match front end, TRD suspension OEM Lift kit with Toyo Open country At3
    Sorry to hear it man. It’s strange to me that they can just clear codes and tell you to keep driving it. That leads me to believe that it isn’t a real turbo issue just a sensor or some software error.

19. May 7, 2022 at 5:06 AM
    CelicaGT

CelicaGT New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    How many of you got a truck as a loaner while you were waiting for a turbo fix as opposed to a car?

20. May 7, 2022 at 5:46 AM
    chaztizer

chaztizer New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra TRD Pro
    So not quite the same boat or time frame, but when I had my Tacoma in the dealer the first time for warranty work they gave me a truck rental from Enterprise that they paid for (F-250 oddly enough). They told me it was “required” that they offer me a truck as a loaner since they had my brand new truck in for warranty work. This was in 2018. The other few times I brought that same truck to the same dealer for overnight warranty work they gave me only an old worn out dealer Corolla, and that’s when I insisted on needing a loaner.

21. May 8, 2022 at 3:17 PM
    boon4376

boon4376 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra SR5
    Keep in mind that I'm not well versed on this particular turbo setup, but I am very familiar with Turbos from when I used to drive old SAAB's.

The waste-gate and boost pressure controller are computer controlled in all modern cars, and there are many points of failure, including the controller chip board, valves / actuators, (vacuum lines in many cases) and the pieces that connect everything.

I find it interesting that they seem to be replacing the whole turbo assembly (from the sounds of it) and not some particular part. But the turbo / wastegate packaging could be such that everything only comes in one package.

If it was an actual turbocharger failure with blades / bearings / etc. the symptoms would be screeching noises, and if they shatter, we'd likely be having entire engines replaced rather than just the turbo unit itself.

doublethebass likes this.
  22. May 9, 2022 at 3:01 AM
    TundraPatriot

TundraPatriot New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    The Great State of Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black Tundra Platinum 4X4 i-Force Max Hybrid
    Is it possible that the Turbocharger "break in" recommendations below may play a factor, if they are not being followed? With having very little knowledge of how turbochargers work, if the driver does shut the engine off immediately after driving at highway speeds, would that not leave enough time for the intercooler fluid to properly cool the turbocharger down, ultimately leading to a failure? Do the recommendations also now nullify the "stop / start" functionality, which the below break in recommendations advise to disable? Is it possible that the "stop / start" functionality may be the cause of the turbocharger failures? Their recommendation would be breached by their own system, i.e. exiting the freeway after driving at highway speed and stopping at a stop light at the end of the freeway offramp, and then the "stop / start" functionality, shuts the engine off, ultimately causing the turbochargers to fail due to overheating???

For those who have had turbocharger failures, did you follow the recommendations. What's also interesting is there does not seem to be a mileage tied to the recommendation of not shutting the engine off immediately after driving at highway speeds. Does that mean one should never shut the engine off immediately after highway speeds, which I believe Toyota states is 60 mph? I don't remember ever shutting my engine off immediately after exiting the freeway because of offramps, which usually have a stop light at the end, and then driving on city streets to my ultimate destination................

upload_2022-5-9_4-47-40.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    truckit, vichmr, FLTon and 2 others like this.
  23. May 9, 2022 at 7:15 AM
    korslite

korslite New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 TRD OR 6.5' Bed
    The way I understand it is the failures have been related to the wastegate actuator not the turbo itself. I haven't heard of anyone actually frying a turbo yet. The entire turbo assembly is being replaced to remedy the bad wastegate issue. Most likely because that is the way the turbo assembly is shipped from the manufacturer, as a whole assembled unit, rather than individual components. Also probably a much easier fix for the techs that way instead of having to pull the assembly and pull it apart on the bench to change the wastegate actuator.

24. May 9, 2022 at 9:10 AM
    boon4376

boon4376 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra SR5
    I doubt this plays a role. Sure it's good to go easy on the engine for the first 1,000 miles, but not doing so should definitely not result in mechanical failure (unless you're red-lining it every acceleration maybe).

The turbo "idle" times should be very rare circumstances. How often do you not spend 1 minute driving at lower speeds after getting off the highway, before shutdown. Likewise, it's unlikely you'll do steep hill driving and not spend ~1 minute after driving slower or parking. Yeah, to immediately heat-soak the engine and turbos, and shut off would not be great. And still it would require years of cycling this type of abuse before seals started leaking / bearings started failing.

And these are unlikely situations and easily avoided during normal operation. Especially considering it's relatively cold during all these failures.

25. May 13, 2022 at 1:13 PM
    Novotz21

Novotz21 New Member

Member:
    I think we should consider that the wastegates are failing SHUT, and therefore not releasing pressure. It is not improbable to think that this can compromise turbo components. IIRC there has been reports of oil leaks from the turbos from those who had the repair done and not the whole unit replacement. I do not think that every repair is a total unit replacement, there has been some wastegate replacements.

truckit likes this.
  26. May 15, 2022 at 7:15 AM
    CelicaGT

CelicaGT New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    Well, turbo issue confirmed by dealer. Been in the shop for 11 days now waiting for parts. They say they have the turbo but are waiting for gaskets and clamps. They also said I could come get it and drive it while waiting for the parts but I am reluctant to do that since there has been no public word from Toyota on this. Since the dealer says that only 1 turbo is affected and I assume the wastegate fails to the open position, does that mean the turbo on the other side is still functioning? Meaning I've got 3 boosted cylinders and 3 non-boosted cylinders??? They also said the corolla rental they gave me is the best they will do since I don't need the truck for work. :-(

27. May 15, 2022 at 12:03 PM
    TimboSlice15

TimboSlice15 Another money pit....

Member:
    First Name:
    Timothy
    Holly Springs NC
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra SR 4x4, 2017 BRZ Limited w/ PP
    None yet
    Our trucks share a common plenum(intake manifold). That means if one wastegate is stuck open, then boost would be lower to all cylinders.

boon4376 likes this.
  28. May 18, 2022 at 11:19 AM
    Beastmaster19

Beastmaster19 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 Army Green TRD Off-Road
    New to the forum, but not to owning a Tundra as I had a 2013 Tundra prior to my 2022.

1. Build Date: 2/22
    2. Purchased: 3/25/2022
    3. Mileage, Date of Failure: a) Received the Parking Support Brake Malfunction check engine light at 590 miles on April 29, 2022. Cleaned all sensors and it went off. Received this error about three more times between 590 and 800 miles. Cleaning the sensors didn't work for the other occasions, however the light would go off on its own.
    b) Received the Reduced Engine Power Check Engine Light at 769 miles on May 2, 2020. The light went off after less then a min of being on. It went on one more time and once I stopped and started the vehicle, it went off. I noticed no performance issues for the short time it was on.
    4. Called my local Toyota dealer to get it checked on after the second time the Reduced Power Check Engine Light turned on, and received an appointment shortly after. My appointments were as follows:
    a) May 4, 2022 - First Appointment to check the engine lights. Was told I had the Panoramic View Monitoring System Safety Recall (totally different issue), which was just a computer update to the system (not sure why it was called a recall). They fixed it that day. After that was fixed I was informed that the Check Engine lights were due to the turbo/wastegate. Was informed that they called Toyota Corporate and to stand by. Took vehicle home and was told it was safe to drive.
    b) May 5, 2022 - Local Toyota Dealer called me and said they MAY be able to fix my Tundra without replacing the turbo. Asked to bring it in.
    c) May 10, 2022 - Took Tundra to dealer to see if they could fix without replacing turbo. They couldn't. Turbo ordered from Toyota and would get a call when parts were in.
    d) May 11, 2022 - Was told Turbo was in already (less then 12 hours from last appt.). Scheduled tundra to get new turbo.
    e) May 16, 2022 - Dropped Tundra off at dealer for turbo replacement and received a RAV4 as my loaner.
    f) May 17. 2022 - Texted to see if there was progress to find out that the wrong turbo was ordered but the new one would be in May 18, 2022 and then I should have my Tundra back May 18 or 19th, 2022.
    g) TBD.......

One thing that was odd, is from about 800 miles to 1,225 miles, I had zero check engine lights come on. And since I didn't notice any performance issues when the reduced power engine light came on, is this actually a turbo/wastegate issue, or is it a calibration/technology issue with all the new technologies in the Tundra? Do I actually need a new turbo?

As inconvenient as the above may be, I still love everything about my truck. I'm anxious to see if Toyota HQ is going to do anything down the road for those who had the wastegate issue and spent countless hours/days/months without their truck.

5/18/22 Update. Truck is fixed as of May 18, 2022. Will attach image of relevant invoice section when on PC.

Last edited: May 18, 2022
    MTRock, TimboSlice15 and Dmon187 like this.
  29. May 18, 2022 at 11:24 AM
    Dmon187

Dmon187 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    18x9 Method 316 wheels, TRD skid plate, Cat plate, Heritage grill with color match front end, TRD suspension OEM Lift kit with Toyo Open country At3
    This is why I’m still not convinced it’s actually a turbo issue.

30. May 18, 2022 at 1:08 PM
    Acedude

Acedude New Member

Member:
    Colorado Plateau
    Vehicle:
    2019 Sequoia SR5 4WD
    RCI aluminum front skid, Timbren rear bumpstops, Carhartt seat covers and cargo area cover, Weathertech floorliners, Hewitt SAIP bypass, genuinecoolingsystems trans cooler, Lexus front diff fill/drain plugs
    Seems to be a random issue, no rhyme or reason why it occurs at 500 miles for some. TFL worked theirs towing heavy all over the western US with no issues. The Canadian Truck King guys took TWO '22's from Vancouver to the Arctic Ocean and back with no issues..

Outbound likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top