1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2021 Tundra Limited De-Chrome

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by TRDripit, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Jan 10, 2021 at 6:32 PM
    TRDripit

TRDripit [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota Tundra Limited
    Hi all - new to this forum so excuse any newbie questions.
    Just picked up a 2021 Tundra Limited CrewMax in Metallic Gray and I don’t care for the exterior chrome look. I found the black out emblem package but waffling wether to blackout or just remove the badges. I would like to get the Grille, Mirrors, Door Handles and Bumper de chromed. I see some sweet pictures of build ups on this site and great information on parts and installations. I was hoping to get some good ideas of what I can do to this truck. Does Toyota make color or blackout for all the above mentioned parts or would I have to use after market parts? Any help or advise to send me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    YardBird likes this.
  2. Jan 10, 2021 at 7:11 PM
    Blueknights75

Blueknights75 040 IS THE FASTEST

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Clayton, NC
    Vehicle:
    18’ TRD CM leveled with 295/70 Ridge Grapplers
    Welcome from NC! I went with the factory blacked out badge overlays and added the blacked out 4x4 emblem on the tailgate along with the black TUNDRA inserts on the tailgate and absolutely love it all. They also make the actual blacked out emblems as well. Let’s see some pics of your Tundra...

3. Jan 10, 2021 at 7:13 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
  4. Jan 10, 2021 at 7:13 PM
    Saltyhero13

Saltyhero13 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Fuel delete mod Cup holder upgrade
    You can start here but I'll tell you a chrome delete wont be cheap:
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/ultimate-oem-toyota-parts-thread.10707/

For some of those you have options other than replace with OEM. For the bumpers you can get the BumperShellz caps offered by @EC1 . The same company is coming out with a grille bulge and surround.

Some people repaint the actual grille, otherwise you have to replace the grille and surround as Toyota doesn't sell it separately.:
    https://youtu.be/p5iDrZD9Fyg

The mirror caps can also be painted or you can wrap them, I'm not sure @EC1 offers caps for the Tundra yet....nudge

The door handles can be partially wrapped to cover the chorme. Wrap on door handles will need to be replaced and touched up occasionally. Instructions for replacement:

https://youtu.be/-3_MQKgXhok

EC1 and TRDripit[OP] like this.
  5. Jan 10, 2021 at 7:34 PM
    TRDripit

TRDripit [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for the finding that old post - the door handles look pretty easy - the grille too. this is great information
    thanks again.

6. Jan 10, 2021 at 10:43 PM
    OnespeedTRD

OnespeedTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited TRD Off-Road
    275/70r18 Cooper AT3 XLT on SCS Ray 10s, Eibach Coilovers, DD 12" Exhaust, AJT Blackout Kit, Truxedo Pro X15, paint match/chrome delete.
    Your door handles won't be that easy. You have the smart key touch pads on the front door handles, so to swap you'll need to remove the door panel to unplug and replug the wires. The rears are the same as the video.
    Not a huge deal, but definitely not as easy as it used to be.

As far as the chrome out front, color match or black bumper caps are pretty affordable and easy to install.
    For the grill, your best bet is to just replace with the OEM surround and bulge and keep the grill you have. You may get lucky and the grill that comes with your new surround will be the same version as your emblem in your current grill, which you'll need to swap over. Otherwise you may run into issues and have to find a different sensor cover. Not insurmountable, but it just depends on the look you want and how much you're willing to pay for it. Occasionally these parts come up on the buy/sell forum so check there first.
    If you go with a new style TRD Pro grill there's a decent aftermarket option for that, I think through Amazon.

I have the black overlays on the door emblems and the black inserts on the tailgate, everything else was removed.

AJT Designs makes a full interior chrome delete kit, which i highly recommend.

Keep in mind, this never ends...

Saltyhero13 likes this.
  7. Jan 10, 2021 at 10:47 PM
    YardBird

YardBird Native San Diegan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonesy
    Vehicle:
    2005 RCLB
    American Thunder Cat Back ~ Retrax Pro ~ Toyota Bed Mat ~ OEM Split Spoke Wheels
  8. Jan 11, 2021 at 4:26 AM
    TRDripit

TRDripit [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    This is good info about the door handles. I’ll need to educate myself a little more before removing the door panel. Appreciate the heads up.
    I was going to order the complete emblem black out kit but I still think removing the emblems might be a cleaner look - I just need make a decision.
    the grille looks like it may be a little more work if I need to paint myself - I’ll need to check out the center emblem and see what I can do.
    This forum is awesome - I’ve already got some great advise - and places to start looking for parts I’ll need.
    Thanks

khunk likes this.
  9. Jan 11, 2021 at 3:47 PM
    OnespeedTRD

OnespeedTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited TRD Off-Road
    275/70r18 Cooper AT3 XLT on SCS Ray 10s, Eibach Coilovers, DD 12" Exhaust, AJT Blackout Kit, Truxedo Pro X15, paint match/chrome delete.
    Yeah, in general, painting over the chrome is pretty difficult and probably more expensive than just buying one already painted, and which is guaranteed to match your paint. MGM is a pretty popular color, so you shouldn't have a hard time finding what you need.
    Lot's of folks debadge completely, and it does look clean. Can't really go wrong either way.
    I just received my black door handles today from Sparks parts. Hopefully I'll have time to install them this week, but I'll take some pics and let you know if I come across anything crazy. Also, there's at least one video out there showing how to do it.

Products Discussed in

To Top