1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2020 Ram 1500 vs 2020 Toyota Tundra

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by calvinjns, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Apr 16, 2020 at 6:51 PM
    ARMYGREEN

ARMYGREEN New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 CrewMax MGM
    Ok. For some reason when I looked it said 0.
    Ok. Now it is almost up to half the problem complaints to ram.

18 ram recalls to 5 Tundra! Hmmmm

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  2. Apr 16, 2020 at 7:07 PM
    ARMYGREEN

ARMYGREEN New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 CrewMax MGM
    Ram = poo

Mountun Goat likes this.
  3. Apr 16, 2020 at 7:29 PM
    Tundra_power

Tundra_power New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Ok guys i know we all love our tundras but the ram does look sweet inside in out yea does it lack reliability, durability and dependability yes it does but its give and take with theses kinds of things. Toyota is most reliable truck on the market but its has bad mpg.

4. Apr 16, 2020 at 8:03 PM
    Samoan Thor

Samoan Thor God is technically an alien

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Limited 2014 crewmax 4X4
    Kings F&R, no sway bars
    I like this guy’s reviews, honest and in this one with the ram he kept talking about how unreliable it is. Yes some techs are cool, seats might be better but I’d rather take the reliability of the tundra every time, my tundra is my daily driver and the MPG’s don’t bother me I have a budget for that.
    https://youtu.be/ulWJ_47BOMg

Lovetrucks, CH1NO and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  5. Apr 16, 2020 at 8:11 PM
    OpieTaylor

OpieTaylor New Member

Member:
    Ram makes sales based on price, Toyota makes sales based on quality. I drove a Dakota for years, and my wife a Camry, Toyota suppliers are better, and no one would even look at a Dodge if it weren't for price or Cummings. You'd have to say that extra 2-3k for quality is too much.

6. Apr 17, 2020 at 6:45 AM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    I can only go by my area and honestly the Tundra around here are listing for 68k and the dealers won’t haggle too much at all , where as the Rams are listing for 70k for a comparable one and they take off 18k right away without haggling . So you’re saving 16k right off the bat and that’s why around here you see teenagers with Rams all the time beating the sh*t out of them .

7. Apr 17, 2020 at 6:57 AM
    Jaypown

Jaypown New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Rubber City
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Sport CM 4x4 MGM
    Is this in canadian dollars?

8. Apr 17, 2020 at 7:01 AM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    Yes

Jaypown[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Apr 17, 2020 at 11:11 AM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    I completely agree with you as I’ve said in another thread I wouldn’t have gotten the 12” screen or the Pano roof if I ordered it but this is one of the 3 they had on their lot at that price and all had the same options so I just picked the one with the newest build date . That screen is about 2500 Canadian , so expensive as f**k . It does control everything but it still has the hard buttons for the HVA/C controls as well as the blower speeds .

10. Apr 17, 2020 at 11:12 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    Depends on what features you want and need. My Tundra was $45k CAD, not $68k.

11. Apr 17, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    What trim would yours be comparable to with Ram ? I’m only going by what’s on the dealer lots close to me .

12. Apr 17, 2020 at 11:40 AM
    OpieTaylor

OpieTaylor New Member

Member:
    O, congrats on the Ram I didn't know you decided, my dad got another Ram, I went Tundra. He's happy and I'am happy.

13. Apr 17, 2020 at 11:40 AM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    Wrong poster , the OP hasn’t decided yet .

14. Apr 17, 2020 at 12:00 PM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    As I’ve said everybody knows that the Tundra is the most reliable full size truck on the market , nobody is disputing that , even my fellow Ram owners on the other forum say that ( with the exception of a few that are of the mind set it’s Mopar or no car ) . With that being said I don’t believe that anyone can guarantee that if you buy a new Tundra that you’ll never need the warranty or that if you buy a new Ram that it’ll always be in the shop . This guy keeps saying his friend with the diesel is having all these issues and I wouldn’t own a diesel . I’ve been told by the dealer I use that the ECO Diesel has a problem with the DEF fluid freezing in extreme cold , kinda like the old air ride .

15. Apr 17, 2020 at 12:11 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    I haven't researched Ram a lot because there's essentially no chance I'd buy one and because I find their website hard to navigate but I think my SR5 is closest to an SXT.

16. Apr 17, 2020 at 1:01 PM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    Ok an SXT is around 35k so that’s only 10k less

17. Apr 17, 2020 at 2:59 PM
    akmerle

akmerle New Member

Member:
    Wasilla, AK
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum & 2020 Jeep SRT
    If you plan on keeping the vehicle for 10 years, then reliability should by far be the deciding factor. And technology shouldn’t be that big a factor since everything will be outdated in a couple years anyhow. New 2020 Tundra does a good job of future proofing the Tundra with a couple simple, yet welcome improvements. Keyless proximity entry, push button start, and Apple CarPlay.

If I was planning on keeping a vehicle for the next 10 years, I would get a TRD Pro and enjoy it. You will dump more money into making it look / perform like a Pro anyhow.

Good luck!

Marty McFly, CH1NO and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  18. Apr 17, 2020 at 8:24 PM
    linwozzle

linwozzle New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Linden
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 SW Tundra Platinum 4x4 CM
  19. Apr 17, 2020 at 9:13 PM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Crewmax Mid Travel
    Mid travel fox 2.5 coilovers 2.0 real shocks shims 295 70 18 trail grapplers pro accessories 32in light bar blacked out bed cover sway bar Moto metal 970 18x9
    Ram is too ugly to even consider.

20. Apr 17, 2020 at 9:20 PM
    ski

ski New Member

Member:
    I was thinking about buying a Ram or getting back into a Ford. Figured I wanted gas mileage as my '07 F150 sucked on gas and was dead set against a Tundra for that reason.
    The more I passed the CarMax lot daily I always saw the lot full with Rams, Fords and GM trucks but have yet to see a Tundra.
    I got me thinking there is a method to the madness and research confirmed that the Tundra though the platform may be dated except for added safety features it's reliable and the resale is incredible.

Cpl_Punishment and TILLY like this.
  21. Apr 18, 2020 at 7:16 AM
    Rbohno

Rbohno New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CrewMax Limited
    Icon stage 5,method 18 x 9, BFG KO2s, Bushwacker flares, tinted windows,Havoc HST running boards,Weatherguard slimline box, DSR1, JL Audio 900/5 amp, two 10W0 subs in a box, hertz centro in the front and Hertz Uno in back doors
    I lemon lawed out of my 2019 Ram Limited 2500with the 12” junk in the dash. It looks cool but it freezes or goes black and then you can’t control anything(TSB been out a year on this with dealers advising to do nothing because they were working on a software update. Then valve body in transmission creates too much pressure and blows the dipstick out and covers motor with tranny fluid (safety recall on this ). My 2016 Longhorn Laramie 3500 had a recall where they told me to stop driving if possible. The water pumps didn’t have weep holes in the bottom which would cause them to lock up and they didn’t have replacement parts for them.

FCA could give a rats ass about their customers to make matters worse. Ford is worse than Ram and GM is probably the best of the big 3 if you go 1/2 ton.

You get a lot of features and technology with Ram but -0- reliability. Ram resell value is pathetic as well.
    Tundra is 1000 times more reliable as it is a Toyota but it has its draw backs as they all do.

Bottom line buy what fits your needs and what you like. You are doing your research it seems so that you can make a well informed decision.

Good Luck!!!

Ltlo7, Newm and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  22. Apr 18, 2020 at 7:46 AM
    Newm

Newm New Member

Member:
    KC
    Similar to my experiance as will with FCA. Had to lemon law mine in what was 9 months of hell jumping through hoops and being given the runaround. Every car manufacturer has and will have issues. The difference is if they can or will fix them. In my experience FCA will not and just give you the operating as designed stamp on your vehicle. I will never own a FCA product again in my lifetime....fool me once sort of thing.

I have no doubt you could get a good Ram truck but the chance is much greater, in my experience, that you might not and I don't have the time or energy to fight with an auto manufacturer. My .02

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  23. Apr 18, 2020 at 8:28 AM
    blanchard7684

blanchard7684 New Member

Member:
    I have comments in the other 2-3 three threads comparing these two vehicles. I'll add to those.

I was in the truck market for about 2 years researching heavily. Almost a part time job.

My objective was to get a serious 4wd (not just a decal and a switch), with superb demonstrated reliability and durability, and a comfortable front seat (plan on driving this thing long distances). Tech and fancy interior were distant seconds. In fact the lesser the amount of tech the better.

The Tundra was the standard I measured against.

Basically it came down to the number of reported serious issues on different forums; talking to tow truck companies, and as I drive across state several times a year, making note of how many Toyotas I see at transmission shops, or other repair places, broke on road, etc...convinced me that Toyota in general is still the leader in automotive manufacturing.

Plus I have many years as an auto mechanic at a dealer and a small mom and pop shop. At the dealer we had to service and fix up used cars often. We rarely saw Toyotas with anything more serious than an oil leak-- even bottom of the line Corollas and Tercels (wish they'd bring this back). At the mom and pop shop I worked at for 10 years I only did one repair on a 2nd gen 4runner that needed a radiator and an A/C recharge at 130000miles. This was in Phoenix...radiator replacements were practically a maintenance item.

My family had a basic Toyota truck for years. Pre-Tacoma pick up with carburetor and manual steering, manual transmission. This thing was abused badly. We did the bare minimum maintenance on it. As the family mechanic I was in charge of it unofficially. I could never keep up because someone was driving it somewhere. We put 330,000 miles on it before the 22r timing chain rattle finally rubbed through the timing cover. I never even had to rebuild or tune the carburetor. Not even kidding. I rebuilt the engine, put a new clutch and radiator on it and sold it. The guy who bought it put another 80,000 miles on it before we lost touch.

So I have a long history of being a Toyota nerd. It was going to take a lot to move to another OEM.

I drive to very remote areas on a regular basis. both on road and off road. I simply couldn't imagine going where I go in anything but a Toyota. It seriously gives me anxiety and sweaty palms thinking about it.

Then I read over and poured over every detail of the million mile Tundras (what are we up to now 3?). I was sold.

So with the Ram, GM, and Ford, and Nissan products here is where I found them in relation to the Tundra. This is all considering none of them were going to come close to Toyota reliability.

Ford. I've had decent luck with Ford trucks in the past. We had a horrible experience with a 2014 Explorer. However in 2018-2020 my research indicated there were too many changes too fast. My luck was going to run out here. The 10 speed transmission seemed like a gimmick. The ecoboost is a great race car engine. Not a family car or truck engine. The 5.0 was a great engine...now they drink oil and have other issues. Then the whole IWE fiasco. And the tech still doesn't work real well. The water leaks were a huge turn off also. Toyota has some of this in some models but way less common.

However the interior was nicer and a bit more comfy than the Tundra. However the higher trim levels are priced to insanity. And no...not going to the raptor because ecoboost.

Our company trucks are Fords and I've seen that they age with heavy use other defects not normally seen in past ford trucks. Example-- Wiring harness issues that strand you or shut off whole truck going 75 mph.

GM. AFM and DFM...lmao...nope. And the same 10 speed gimmick. Water leaks, rear end issues, the chevy shake ( fixed on new model), brake issues. Interiors weren't as nice as the Ford. However I would actually trust the 5.3 or 6.2 more than the 5.0 or ecoboost. Couldn't justify the insane price difference to get a 6.2 trail boss. I mean yeah 420 hp is cool but their next best offering is 355 hp. The Tundra has 381. 40 hp isn't worth the massive upcharge.

Ram. Seems like there are a bit less serious issues than GM or Ford. Definitely the nicest interiors. The glitchiness bumper to bumper was a turn off. I have a friend whose Rebel overheated in Big Bend. The other issue is my wife detests Ram trucks. Gonna be a tough sell.

However I really looked hard at the Ram Power Wagon. It actually had the better 4wd package vs the Tundra. It was compelling. I was very close to getting the Power Wagon. I decided against it because if the truck is that glitchy then the 4wd might be as well. Not worth the risk. If I find that I need to I can modify a Tundra for cheaper than the price difference between a power wagon and trd pro.

Gotta say though Ram guys actually hit the trails in their trucks. Kudos for that.

Nissan. Pro 4x is a nice package. Comparable to the TRD Pro and it has rear lockers. However Nissan seems to be going downhill in quality. My in laws have a few newer Nissans and they are definitely not like the used to be. Lots of glitchy items. Plus I hate to say it but the Titan is the least attractive truck. To the point where it was actually a deciding factor. Nissan's corporate struggles were also a red flag for me. I rarely see Titans on any trails.

It came down to Power Wagon and The TRD Pro.

Chose the Pro based on my long history with Toyota and I gotta admit the million mile trucks were a clincher.

24. Apr 18, 2020 at 10:20 AM
    Rbohno

Rbohno New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Icon stage 5,method 18 x 9, BFG KO2s, Bushwacker flares, tinted windows,Havoc HST running boards,Weatherguard slimline box, DSR1, JL Audio 900/5 amp, two 10W0 subs in a box, hertz centro in the front and Hertz Uno in back doors
    If you want a true 4x4 full size truck the ONLY one is the Power Wagon it’s 3/4 ton 6.4 hemi with true front and rear lockers AND a built in Warn 12k winch with synthetic line.

A lot of the different forestry divisions use this as standard vehicles.

I had a red 2017 one it’s in my album here and it was incredible.

Mountun Goat likes this.
  25. Apr 18, 2020 at 10:27 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Until the Silverado ZR2 comes out.

26. Apr 18, 2020 at 10:34 AM
    JimboSlice413

JimboSlice413 Super Nice Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited 4x4, 2003 Sequoia
    Bilstein 5100/5160 Toyo at2 295/70r18 Ray10 GunMetal
    I do like that they come with front and rear lockers. They also have a very small payload and towing limit for a 2500. You end up with a 7,000lb really expensive and large truck that tows like a 1/2 ton. Its actually classified as a "light duty truck" contrary to its 2500 label. I can't believe they sell any of these

Mountun Goat and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  27. Apr 18, 2020 at 10:41 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    A while back, I read an article comparing the Power Wagon, Raptor and Colorado ZR2 in off road prowess specifically. (Might have been Car and Driver, I can't remember for sure.) They liked the Power Wagon the best, though they did note that it's a bit large for certain trails.

28. Apr 18, 2020 at 12:22 PM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    The Power Wagon also has a front sway bar disconnect for more articulation .

29. Apr 18, 2020 at 12:29 PM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    In all honesty if we’re going off of the Tundra and if you have the money the GMC AT4 is a pretty awesome truck too with the carbon bed and the multipro tailgate .

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  30. Apr 18, 2020 at 12:58 PM
    Rbohno

Rbohno New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NC
    Vehicle:

You have to have owned one to know their capabilities, they just have coils in the rear but a lot of people put air bags in the back coils and they are golden for extra payload and towing. They have 4:10 gears so they are stump pullers. I have towed 10k+ lbs pulling my equipment trailer loaded many times when my 3500 was on a different job.

Products Discussed in

To Top