1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2020 Differential needle bearing failure

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by CreekDweller, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Dec 30, 2020 at 12:17 PM
    CreekDweller

CreekDweller [OP] Not so new ...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM 1794 TRD Off-Road
    My 2020 Tundra is making the 'wush, wush, wush" sound from the front, drivers's side below 30 mph, that is linked to rotational speed. This started a couple of weeks ago. At first I thought it might be a wheel bearing, but after reading the archives here it seemed clear it was the differential needle bearing. There was even a link to a TSB on this issue updated in 2011. What a great resource this forum is!

At the dealer yesterday, the problem was confirmed to be the needle bearing. The dealer contacted Toyota with their assessment and Toyota authorized a new differential, due in a couple of weeks, under warranty. Kudos to the dealer for their handling of this.

I wonder about a couple of things though:

The archive postings I read about this problem were on 1st and 2nd generation Tundras. I didn't see any 3rd gen (edit: now called 2.5 gen) failures posted. Though I think the differential is the same for all 3 generations, the 2011 TSB mentions Toyota upgrading the bearing to remedy the problem, which may explain why there isn't much discussion about this on 3rd gens. However, if the bearing was upgraded, I wonder why this one failed. Thoughts ...?

The service rep at the dealer said I should continue to drive the vehicle, because according to him it was caught early and I should have no problem until the part arrives in two weeks. I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows differently.

Lastly, have any other 3rd gen Tundra owners here had this problem?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2023
  2. Dec 30, 2020 at 12:42 PM
    ItsNickROFL

ItsNickROFL New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Tundra CrewMax
    Intake, exhaust, interior
    To answer in order
    - probably just a fluke. Sweet on the dealer and Toyota for helping you out. I think crap just kinda happens. There’s always bound to be a issue with something somewhere.
    -Not sure, but if you have a back up vehicle I’d definitely drive that. Could always drive it and if you have an issue such as a break down I’d definitely be calling the dealer and saying you told me this is fine but I broke down. What are you gonna do for me?
    -I have a 2020, I haven’t had this issue. I do however notice if I forget to turn off A/C the next time I start the truck it’ll turn over fine. But then makes this god awful grinding noise for like .5 second. Like the compressor kicks on or something. Who knows.

3. Dec 30, 2020 at 1:00 PM
    Backslider

Backslider Thirsty...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    2022 GMC Sierra AT4 L5P - 2017 4runner SR5P - 2023 Tesla Model 3 LR
  4. Dec 30, 2020 at 1:10 PM
    Leo's first

Leo's first TRUCK GANG

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Groton ma
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Limited CM Pyrite Mica
    They’re going to replace the whole differential?

5. Dec 30, 2020 at 1:25 PM
    CreekDweller

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yes, Toyota authorized replacement of the entire differential, amazingly. It seems like such a waste of their money, especially in light of the East Coast Gear Supply bushing replacement with a parts cost of $60. However, I won't go that route unless this problem occurs again and I'm out of warranty (I don't have any issues with wheel shake). If I were to do the ECGS bushing now, I'd lose the factory warranty on the differential and be out of pocket for the repair too. Since this seems to be an uncommon problem with 3rd gens, I'm hoping the diff replacement will be the end of it.

6. Dec 30, 2020 at 1:35 PM
    Leo's first

Leo's first TRUCK GANG

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Groton ma
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Limited CM Pyrite Mica
    Absolutely man! I hope the replacement goes well and is the end of your issue.

7. Dec 30, 2020 at 5:52 PM
    SuperWhiteTurdPro

SuperWhiteTurdPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Super White TRD Pro
    Just scheduled my appointment today. Replacing the entire front diff. ‘19 w/26k

8. Dec 30, 2020 at 6:35 PM
    CreekDweller

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Interesting, so this issue has not been entirely dealt with. I have less than 9000 miles on mine.

9. Dec 30, 2020 at 9:15 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Seasoned Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    My 2020 is also making the same noise and it will be going in after New Years. As soon as I put it in 4WD the noise goes away. Go back to 2WD and it comes back. It's a very similar sound to a bad wheel bearing.

Wallygator likes this.
  10. Dec 30, 2020 at 9:24 PM
    GIN•OKUMA

GIN•OKUMA Can’t get to SSEM from there. RGBA1

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    26.57°
    Vehicle:
    Noun; a machine, usually with wheels and an engine, used for transporting people or goods, especially on land
    This has been a known issue with Tacomas when a suspension lift is installed.

Do you all have lifts?

cdavi060 likes this.
  11. Dec 30, 2020 at 9:42 PM
    Backslider

Backslider Thirsty...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    This is an issue on a lot of modern Toyota trucks.

Personally I would go with the ECGS bushing as it seems to completely resolve the issue. I understand letting Toyota deal with it under warranty, but I feel the problem will eventually return.

Wallygator likes this.
  12. Dec 30, 2020 at 9:57 PM
    GIN•OKUMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    26.57°
    Vehicle:
    Noun; a machine, usually with wheels and an engine, used for transporting people or goods, especially on land
    I’ve heard of it happening when they are lifted. Haven’t heard much about an unmodified Toyota truck having this issue.

13. Dec 30, 2020 at 10:03 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    Stock suspension.

IndianaGeologist likes this.
  14. Dec 30, 2020 at 10:05 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    What happens if you change the bearing and the noise is still there. Good luck trying to get warranty after that.

15. Dec 30, 2020 at 10:07 PM
    GIN•OKUMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    26.57°
    Vehicle:
    I’ve heard of some coming from factory low on front diff fluid and having this issue. :notsure:

16. Dec 30, 2020 at 10:11 PM
    CreekDweller

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The truck is completely stock, not lifted. Until the warranty has expired, I will not install any aftermarket fixes as Ruggybuggy said.

Cpl_Punishment, LS3 and landphil like this.
  17. Dec 30, 2020 at 10:29 PM
    Backslider

Backslider Thirsty...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    If the needle bearing is the problem, and the ECGS clamshell bushing eliminates the needle bearing.. and you still have the noise.. then the needle bearing wasn't the problem and therefor would still be covered under warranty.

Henry1jg, Dalandshark and Wallygator like this.
  18. Dec 30, 2020 at 10:32 PM
    Backslider

Backslider Thirsty...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    I personally know several Tacoma and 4runner owners who have had this problem, both with and without modified suspension.

Bear and IndianaGeologist like this.
  19. Dec 30, 2020 at 10:37 PM
    GIN•OKUMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    26.57°
    Vehicle:
    Me too but not Tundras.

Giskk and stuckinohio like this.
  20. Dec 30, 2020 at 10:44 PM
    Backslider

Backslider Thirsty...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    True. I've seen on these forum one person in the past who had problems with their needle bearing but have not been able to fond that thread.

Doesn't seem to be too common on the Tundra. Still, the bushing may be a solution. I understand the desire to have it fixed under warranty.

21. Dec 30, 2020 at 11:03 PM
    GIN•OKUMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    26.57°
    Vehicle:
    I had this happen on a 2017 Tacoma and Toyota replaced the entire front diff. Blew my mind the invoice was over $3k. It did fixed the issue. How long it would have lasted I don’t know. I sold it about a year later. If I would of kept it and the wamp wamp wamp came back I had planned on doing the ECGS bushing.
    I did almost talk the service manager into putting the ECGS bushing in the first time. He insisted they replace the front diff under warranty. :notsure:

22. Dec 30, 2020 at 11:12 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    Oddly enough I have an ECGS bushing and new CV axle sitting here ready to be installed in my ‘08, (stock height for now) just set up with a bushing installer tool for it last night with the help of my buddy that has a metal lathe.

I say oddly enough as I’ve never noticed a noise or vibration, just found the LH inner CV stub into the diff hot-dog-down-a-hallway sloppy and want to rectify it especially before I install my 6112’s.

I’m obviously out of warranty, and while I’m certain the ECGS bushing us a far more permanent fix, if I had warranty I’d have them replace as many diffs as possible. Only when warranty claims are numerous enough do the engineers get pushed to come up with a proper OEM solution.

23. Dec 30, 2020 at 11:15 PM
    GIN•OKUMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    26.57°
    Vehicle:
    Enough complaints cause action.

landphil[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Dec 31, 2020 at 4:59 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    I had this issue on my 2010. It was lifted. I was out of warranty but had an aftermarket warranty that was good up to this point. They declined to fix it even though the dealer told them it was common on lifted and non lifted trucks. I went with the ECGS bushing instead. Problem never came back. According to the tsb, Toyota’s fix is to replace the entire diff even though it might not be needed.

I thought Toyota had fixed this issue cause I haven’t seen many complaints about it recently until now. I wonder how many warranty claims Toyota is paying out at $3k per claim. Seems like it wouldn’t take many claims before they “steal” ECGS’s design.

landphil likes this.
  25. Dec 31, 2020 at 5:32 AM
    stuckinohio

stuckinohio MGM Crue

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    oHIo
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax
    Good on the dealer for communicating issue to Toyota and getting it addressed.
    A full front differential replacement guarantees the most consistency from a quality standpoint.
    If there is already 1 known problem, there is higher potential for more issues. Full replacement is the best option for both dealer and customer.
    The Tundra has a similar design but bigger diff than the FJ/4runner/ Tacoma.
    I have done the ECGS on my Tacoma and can tell you it is not the end all solution. My DR CV still wobbles and clunks with the bushing.
    Wheel bearings/ball joints/diff bearings should all be considered wear items. Especially when they see higher stress from lifts
    I don't understand why people get upset that their lift caused components to wear faster. Just like complaining mpg is terrible after putting 35's on..

Terndrerrr, tttrdpro and Ruggybuggy like this.
  26. Dec 31, 2020 at 5:54 AM
    blackoutt

blackoutt YEAH BUDDY!

Member:
    Indy
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Long Bed - Old Man Tan
    OEM+
    I had an old thread on this same question but never seemed to hear of any confirmed replacements or fixed with ECGS bushing. Makes sense on a 2020 to pursue the warranty route but seems like some early 3rd gens are due. I still haven't done mine even when I had the diff out for regear, just out of curiosity for how long it'll go.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/ecg...-for-front-diff-needle-bearing-3rd-gen.56438/

27. Dec 31, 2020 at 7:10 AM
    Gunship Guy

Gunship Guy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Go to the ECGS website and watch the video. He explains and shows the difference between Toyota's approach and Dana's approach. And I thought the Japanese were supposed to be good at engineering? That being said, it seems difficult to grasp having a bushing replace bearings for the long term. Especially if the original design was lacking in surface area (shoulder) of the spider gear.

Wallygator and stuckinohio like this.
  28. Dec 31, 2020 at 7:15 AM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    A new diff under warranty is free. Buying needle bearings and labor to install is not. Let Toyota handle it for now, since that's the luxury you earn when paying for a new truck. If it happens again under warranty, go the free route again. Once you are out of warranty and it happens, then solve it permanently with the ecgs solution.

I follow George Costanza's take on paid parking, "That's like a prostitute. Why pay when if I apply myself, maybe I can get it for free."

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Kerch71, landphil, Ruggybuggy and 2 others like this.
  29. Dec 31, 2020 at 8:01 AM
    stuckinohio

stuckinohio MGM Crue

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    oHIo
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax
    Here's the video is anyone is interested.

I too was skeptical of the bushing wear. Roller bearings have the ability to transport gear oil to the point of contact as they spin, bushings do not. Increasing surface area and reducing lubrication are not good for wear.
    After watching Tacomaworld threads for several years and people getting 100K+miles out of the bushing with no significant wear/ failures i was willing to give it a go and install one.
    The bushing is a band-aid to help provide addition support, but as stated in the video, the lack of support of the inner shaft in the actual diff carrier is the large contributing factor.
    Aftermarket front diffs provide better support, and in conjunction with the bushing seem to actually address the root cause.

30. Dec 31, 2020 at 12:19 PM
    CreekDweller

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lots of interesting posts here, including Blackoutt's who posted a year ago asking if this issue was resolved in gen3. I've been on the list for a couple of years now and had read about the needle bearing failure, but thought it was limited to 1st and 2nd generation Tundras (plus Tacos, 4Runners and FJs). The TSB linked in a post found when searching about this problem claimed that Toyota had upgraded the needle bearing, so I assumed it was a successful remedy. But I count 4 of us here, including Endagon who replied to Blackoutt's post last year, with gen3 Tundras with the problem. That is a whole lot less failures than in earlier generations of Tundras, so I think that means that Toyota's upgraded bearing has largely, but not entirely, remedied the problem on non-lifted trucks. I expect that when the dealer installs my new differential that that will be the end of it for me - but, we'll see.

Ruggybuggy and Leo's first like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top