1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2019 TRD PRO GRILLE

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2014+)' started by Ichaplain, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Aug 13, 2019 at 6:47 AM
    sdde4n

sdde4n New Member

Member:
    People's Republic of California
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax - Sierra Romeo Cinco
    Leitner Designs ACS
    Yes, '19 grille should work fine with TSS.

What I haven't seen mentioned on here yet is that Toyota doesn't have a piece for, nor does it endorse, the use of the '15-'17 Pro Grille for trucks with TSS ('18 and newer). The ARES bracket was sold on here by the dude that was making them, but it sounds to me like he got a cease and desist order from Toyota since he was messing with a safety-related part of the vehicle. Those with more detail, please correct me.

I've emailed the ARES guy with no response, which is why I ended up keeping my honeycomb '18 insert, even though I love the look of the older Pro grilles so much more.

Here's the link to my brand new '15-'17 pro grille (paired with my '18 surround and bulge) for sale on here: https://www.tundras.com/threads/fs-trd-pro-grille-surround-and-bulge-400.50469/

2. Aug 13, 2019 at 6:53 AM
    sdde4n

sdde4n New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Leitner Designs ACS
    1) Is there a difference in those two things? -- Yes. One is made by Toyota. The other is an aftermarket roll of the dice, but many on here have used without issue.

2) And it's debatable on how well TSS works with this or these installed? -- The one made by Toyota will work and is intended for use with the '19 pro grille so you should be fine or be able to return to them.

3) Also, what if I got the honeycomb grille and just left the spot uncovered? -- I've never heard of anyone doing this. Aesthetics are a personal choice.

4) And are there any other types of aftermarket black grilles that work fine for TSS? -- Not to my knowledge.

PJR202 likes this.
  3. Aug 13, 2019 at 8:30 AM
    PJR202

PJR202 New Member

Member:
  4. Aug 13, 2019 at 8:42 AM
    phogallen

phogallen My Last Mid-Life Crisis

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black 1794 Fusion Edition
    TRD Pro Grill, front bumper end caps, mirror caps and door handles blacked out. ATC Cap, Cap Pack 6 Gun Drawer, LED lights in CAP, Rhino rails on top, 12 volt accessory plugs. Weathertech floor mats, after market antenae. 45 Ceramic tint film to driver and passenger door. Coachbuilder shims ,+2 shackles, steering kit, bumper shims, Bora 1.25 wheel spacers Bilstein 5100's on mid setting. BW flares with blacked out Route 66 screws. Gloss black powder coated OEM rims and Cooper 295/70/18 Cooper ST MAXX. Tech12Volt sound system upgrade...JL C2's doors and C1's on dash, 5 channel JL amp, 2 10inch subs in custom box and DSR1 sound processor...Soundskins in doors and back wall. Trunk and body badges removed. Powder coated tow hooks red. Linex bed lining front bra film and flares along with full ceramic coat. Ceramic Pro interior plus windshield treatment. Toyota running boards and TRD anti sway bars in front and rear along with blacked out exhaust tip. TRD door latch cover plates. Full VLED light upgrade puddle, license, interior added footwell plus rear tail light brake, reverse. Added ASM turn signal LED's in front. OPT 7 tailgate light in red. Baja Design amber squadrons wc in front and SR2 Pro's in amber on rear bumper. Filmed reverse light in back, added red shackle on tow hitch and new license plate in front. Custom painted badge on tailgate. 3M crystalline on windshield and sunroof. Ceramic window film on rear seat windows. Added dirty deeds 8 inch stainless and summit racing dual tip. Soundproofed floor with foam and mass loaded vinyl. Black Bedslide added to bed.
    I would never let the sensor go uncovered...heard of some people machining the tacoma sensor to get it to fit with no issues. ARES used to make the relo bracket but I don't believe he does any longer. JOMAX out of Arizona I believe still does for those that need it with a different year grill swap. Older pro grill on either a 18 or 19 truck that has TSS. Honeycomb grill has sensor covered by logo on the grill same as Platinum and 1794 chrome grills.

I haven't had any issue with the ARES sensor cover...works fine and has since the day I put it on...I bought mine on Ebay but his web site is up and running I believe.

TSS system is under recall now with Toyota...they are using lifts, larger tires and grill swaps(aftermarket) as an excuse to void warranties or at least get you to sign a waiver if there is ever a problem. They tried to get me to sign off on the waiver because of lift and larger tires not the grill. I refused since they had already done the recall work which I guess is just gluing more stuff around the sensor. Turned the TSS back on and drove home!

5. Aug 13, 2019 at 8:53 AM
    sdde4n

sdde4n New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Leitner Designs ACS
    This gives me hope to someday be able to use the grille that I really want.

Products Discussed in

To Top