1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2019 just turned 100K.....suggestions for maintenance

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Vito117, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Oct 16, 2021 at 10:05 AM
    Vito117

Vito117 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ANTONIO V.
    IOWA & ILLINOIS
    Vehicle:
    2019 TUNDRA CREW MAX-- LIMITED- TRD PRO
    Bought this new in October 2019 and this 100K came up fast.
    (Yeah...I drive the shyte out of this baby.)
    90% highway and city driving. To and from job sites or long trips.
    Trailers once in while. No serious off-roading and abuse of course.

Just curious what you cats suggest for any parts and pieces I need to check or replace now?
    Believe it not...I have the original brake pads and rotors.
    Plugs? Serpentine?....ideas?
    Only thing that's been a nuisance is this damned TSS sensor as you all know seems pretty common.

blanchard7684 and Terndrerrr like this.
  2. Oct 16, 2021 at 10:25 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
  3. Oct 16, 2021 at 10:26 AM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    Wow, Tony, that’s a heap of miles!
    The answer to your question starts in the manual where service intervals are all specified. Here’s a couple questions for you to answer, for us, if you want suggestions, or for yourself to help move on;
    1) Have all required services been done at recommendation intervals so far?
    (Fluid changes etc)
    2) have you been getting service done at the dealership, how’s your experience been?
    3) are you a good home mechanic, semi pro, or not interested?
    4) if you have been getting service done at an independent shop, how has that been?

Hightide and Oey12 like this.
  4. Oct 16, 2021 at 10:33 AM
    fuguchan

fuguchan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    St. Mary's County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 1794 Edition Smoked Mesquite
    ARE-Z Cap, Bed Rugs, Husky Mats
    I passed 110K on my 2018 1794 Edition this October. I've had it for almost three years. I changed my Denso spark plugs SK20HR11 early (due at 120K). Bought them from the Toyota Dealer (don't trust other vendors). I got my serpentine belt from Toyota Dealer, a Dayco 89378 Belt Tensioner and a Dayco 89502 Idler/Tensioner Pulley (both from Amazon) much cheaper than from Toyota and its the exact same item (way more expensive from Dealer). I changed the battery too, got a Duralast Gold from Advance Auto / way cheaper than the Dealer. When you buy a battery, always check the date on it, it should be fresh like the month you buy it or last month. Best to change these items earlier than later. Some guys mentioned they waited until the belt made a noise or the engine is acting funny but thats up to them. Here soon, I'm changing the Power Steering fluid, Radiator fluid, Brake fluid, front / rear and transaxle fluids. Still debating when to change the transmission fluid. Some what like you, I do a lot of highway driving and I work 60 miles from home, so yeah mileage adds up.
    I changed the tires from 275/55/20 to 275/60/20 Michelin Defender LTX. Much softer and quiet ride.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  5. Oct 16, 2021 at 1:07 PM
    Vito117

Vito117 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ANTONIO V.
    IOWA & ILLINOIS
    Vehicle:
    Great info guys.
    I have changed the oil and checked all fluids at the 5K intervals. There's a Toyota mechanic literally stones throw from my office so its been handy. Waltz over...drop off keys...come back later for it. I'm on my second set of tires now. So winter driving is ready. Same tires as you Fuguchan!
    I'll peruse the manual for any other items or ask my mechanic what he thinks. He actually owns a Tundra too.

6. Oct 16, 2021 at 1:38 PM
    racer01

racer01 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Aiken South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    23' TRD Pro
    295/70-18 Nitto Recon Grappler, RB 20 running boards
    Totally agree with this. Other than obvious fluids, etc. the serpentine belt, tensioner and idler pulley and battery (if original) are the ones I'd do as preventive maintenance.
    I also did diff fluid, cabin filter, wipers, a OEM brake pads F/R right at 100k in mine, but it took me 5 years of use to get there so my stuff was probably more worn than your quick 100k hwy miles.

7. Oct 16, 2021 at 2:19 PM
    Clemsonman14

Clemsonman14 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Crewmax 4x2
    quick question just out of curiosity. Did you install the trans cooler on your truck?

8. Oct 17, 2021 at 5:42 AM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    I like to throw in new thermostats every 3 years, batteries 3-4 yrs. To me both are cheap insurance for any vehicle. 100k, I am doing ball joints, u joints, coolant and heater hoses, on top of many things already mentioned in other posts above. For me wheel bearings would be right around the corner 120 140k too.

Wallygator likes this.
  9. Oct 17, 2021 at 6:02 AM
    Vito117

Vito117 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ANTONIO V.
    IOWA & ILLINOIS
    Vehicle:
    Probably change out the brake pads and be proactive. Any suggestions for mfr's to use and stay away from?

10. Oct 17, 2021 at 7:21 AM
    Durania

Durania New Member

Member:
    Crossville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue CM Ltd
    Yeah, I ran into that on my 2011 Tacoma. Every service advisor I called at 3 dealerships told me nobody replaced that fluid because it's considered "lifetime". I flat out told them I do and to flush it.

11. Oct 17, 2021 at 7:41 AM
    blanchard7684

blanchard7684 New Member

Member:
    way to go on the miles!

the maintenance I would do would depend on the vehicle's future.

If you are planning on continuing putting tremendous miles on the truck:

all hoses...ALL...hoses. On Tundra this is a massive task.
    Belt and tensioner
    Change all fluids including P/S and brake.
    Brake bleed and flush.
    pull and inspect brake caliper pins for scoring or gouging. clean off and lube with caliper pin grease. Inspect caliper piston seals for cracking.
    Replace thermostat.
    Replace radiator cap
    Inspect radiator seams carefully for early signs of leakage
    Spark plugs.
    Clean throttle body
    replace PCV valve
    Inspect rear axle seals for leaks.
    Inspect parking brake shoes...replace if necessary
    Test charging system

On transmission service I would do a drain and refill 3-4 times rather than a flush. It is easier on the system and gets you a virtually complete exchange of fluid. Then change the filter/screen inside pan.

If the truck is going to see less severe duty schedule

change all fluids including a complete replacement of transmission fluid.
    inspect spark plugs and coils
    replace radiator cap
    brake service and inspection as above
    replace pcv
    test charging system
    clean throttle body

12. Oct 18, 2021 at 2:00 PM
    matictundra

matictundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Franco
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red Tundra SR5 4x4 CM
    3"/1.5" Lift (Fox 2.5 DSC all around, JBA UCA's and Toytec Shackles at 1.5") Front and Rear TRD Sway Bars Nitto Ridge Grappler 37x12.5R18 w/ Brz 18x9 +25mm Methods MR701 Wheels AFE Dry Filter with TRD Flow Acc Dirty Deed No Muffler Exhaust Nitro 5.29 Gears RCI Engine, Trany/Trans-Case and Fuel Skid Plates Relocated Rear Diff Breather | Rear Brake Line Extension Jomax ABS Sensor Armor Colored Matched Front Bulge and TRD Pro Grill Assy Modded ADD Stealth Fighter Front Bumper Custom High Clearance Rear Bumper with Modded Tow Receiver Behind Plate and Chopped Rear Fender Custom Bed Stiffeners 2019 TRD PRO LED Headlights w/ Ihacker Harness | BD 40" ARC AMB/WHT DC OnX6 BD 10" Onx6 in the Grill (2X) Rago Low-Profile Ditch and Extended Brkt with Daul BD Squadron Pros - AMB & WHT AMB LED Chase Light (Cargo) | Dual BD Squadron Sports in Rear Bumper Prinsu Roof Rack with a Pair of BD S1 For the Sides and Rear Mictunning C2 Rock Lights, 2 per wheel, and Toyota style switch 2X 55" Quick Light Whips with Toyota style switch Switch Pros SP-9100 with Custom Switch Mount, Custom Engine and Roof Terminal Junction Boxes 12K Lbs Smittybilt Winch with wireless remote and Factor 55 FlatLink E Amp Power Step EVO-One Remote Start Limo Tint (All Around) | De-Badged LED Interior lights with Front / Rear Interior Footwell LED Blue LED Lit Lock/Window Switch Mod AJT Full Chrome Delete Kit w/ 3R3 Painted SHCS Toyota LED Bed Lights Leather Perforated Wrapped Steering Wheel Black TRD Shift Knob ESP Long Box BakFlip MX4 Bed Cover Thinkware Q800Pro Dashcam (Front & Rear) Rago Dashmount w/ Ram Phone Holder
    Replace all the dyno fluid, grease where applicable, replace spark plugs, replace coolant, replace air engine filter, replace cabin filter, and replace brake stuff.

13. Oct 18, 2021 at 2:06 PM
    50Shades

50Shades Sin City Tundras

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    West Coast
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 CrewMax Trail Edition 4x4
    how is the transmission at 100k miles? asking because of the no-tranny cooler thing..

14. Oct 18, 2021 at 2:21 PM
    hagrid

hagrid The most diverse of Diversity Hires!

Member:
    First Name:
    Spraynard
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    K1600GTL ZX-14R
    paynuss stretchers
    This statement may have been true up until 3 years ago based upon what I've been reading around here.
    See? If what I'm reading is correct and the cooler delete is a result of corporate bean counting then what else have they molested? Anyone with a 19+ is boned from what I gather... built just well enough to make it out of warranty and then the nickel and dime shenanigans begin.

Jaypown likes this.
  15. Oct 18, 2021 at 2:28 PM
    50Shades

50Shades Sin City Tundras

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    West Coast
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 CrewMax Trail Edition 4x4
    OP has not responded yet. So i don't want to make conclusions right away. not a lot of 2019+ with high miles especially towing. I don't tow, i use my truck for play and long road trips. mainly sits on the driveway 4-5 days a week.

16. Oct 18, 2021 at 2:37 PM
    hagrid

hagrid The most diverse of Diversity Hires!

Member:
    First Name:
    Spraynard
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    K1600GTL ZX-14R
    paynuss stretchers
    Nope!

Screwed. Duped. Hoodwinked. Huckstered. Gypped ( I can say that... I'm Hungarian).

I'm waiting for Ford to release the suppercharged V8 Raptor then I'm trading before my trangsmission collapses upon itself like a neutron star.

Products Discussed in

To Top