1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2019 2020 transmission cooler missing

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by sgtfluffy16, Aug 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 11, 2020 at 6:11 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Yeah, rub it in....thanks....

2. Aug 11, 2020 at 6:49 PM
    Green Thunder

Green Thunder Smooth in the Cruise

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    I've got a fat little travel trailer that's just under 4k lbs fully loaded. Towing it over mountain passes I see 230-235 degrees in the pan for extended periods. That's truck, trailer family and the truck bed full of beer and gear. The torque converter temp can get up to the 250-255 if I run for a few minutes with it unlocked. No issues, no wierd tranny shifts and no alarms/lights.

Here's the crazy part...I hit those same temps running unloaded up a forest service road. One of those low RPM, high-load situations going up a hill at 25mph running 1,200 rpm.

I don't have a problem if folks think they need a tranny cooler...to be honest, I'd feel better with one. And I do appreciate folks raising the issue and trying to dig up facts. But all of these discussions lack any direct knowledge of what the fluid can handle and what the Toyota engineers designed the system to withstand. Since I've seen high temps running unloaded and at lower speeds, I'm of the opinion that all the 2019+ trucks see this temp at some point. It will be a normal temp range, even for short periods.

I'm going to run my truck for 35-40k miles and do a flush. I'll pull some fluid then to send to Blackstone. If it comes back burned/shot, I'll install a cooler. Until then I see no reason to to bother doing anything else....just my 2 cents

3. Aug 11, 2020 at 6:57 PM
    sgtfluffy16

sgtfluffy16 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    2019 Super White Tunda TRDPro
    Stock
    I am working on getting solid facts, that is PRECISELY what i am doing. I have the exxonmobil rep in contact with me on a daily basis. They know why im asking, but its toyota's fluid, and its their proprietary information so exxonmobil can't just give it to me. Which is something they (toyota) are not willing to give out ( so far ). If the fluid is breaking down at 220 like most all ATF fluids then we/I have SOLID proof. As i have stated in the beginning. I will more than likely be putting a cooler on the truck. but this is something that needs to be addressed ahead of time. I want the approval from Toyota, on a Repair Order, stating i will NOT void my warranty by installing a cooler onto my truck with toyota factory parts.

4. Aug 11, 2020 at 6:58 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Great post! Quite reasonable opinion.

Green Thunder[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Aug 11, 2020 at 7:06 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    So this is not how things work my man. In the future, I would always use honey to get the bees, not vinegar.

Alex @osidepunker gave you some good numbers and some food for thought. He has an opinion that maybe the 2019/2020 trucks are not going to melt into a ball of aluminum. He does have a bit of experience at pushing the limits...and maybe beyond on occasion (like a lot).

Trust me, he’s better to have as a cutman than an opponent.

People’s mind might explode at my next post in here....

6. Aug 11, 2020 at 7:07 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Kuul. Speculation is just that. Please post once you get SOLID proof. General statements like, " If the fluid is breaking down at 220 like most all ATF fluids" doesn't meet the sniff test. Anywhere, especially not here. Toyota's ATF isn't anything like what being used in "other" trucks. Just sayin. Seriously....

7. Aug 11, 2020 at 7:11 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Am I in trouble....again....

8. Aug 11, 2020 at 7:13 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Nope.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Aug 11, 2020 at 7:15 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Side bar:
    I got official custody of Manny today so I'm in a great mood. Finally....:thumbsup: You can delete this post. Just wanted to let you know!

RLHULK, landphil, GODZILLA and 6 others like this.
  10. Aug 11, 2020 at 7:16 PM
    sgtfluffy16

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    He might, but he's got an external transmission cooler, and he's got a 2014 or 2013 truck. It's not even the same concern as The 2019 and 2020 Tundras are completely different from that truck. But as he states he has a thermostat. At thermostat doesn't even open until 220. The number one killer of Transmissions is heat. Why would you want to keep all of that heat in there when fluid temps under 200 degrees are ideal? Don't you find it kind of funny that Toyota does not and will not publish what the decomposition temperature is of WS transmission fluid?

It's a temperature? It's not the fluid specifications showing how that fluid is composition wise

11. Aug 11, 2020 at 7:28 PM
    TILLY

TILLY Gently Used Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport D/C
    I think its pretty obvious at this point that someone here with a 19-20 needs to sacrifice their tranny so that we can finally get a definitive answer to this conundrum. We will need a few volunteers to tow heavy loads night and day until explosion occurs, and before their warranty expires. You won't be compensated, but you will be thanked. My 19 is excluded of course, because this is my idea. :thumbsup:

12. Aug 11, 2020 at 7:32 PM
    AZBoatHauler

AZBoatHauler SSEM#140/ASCM#3/2ndGenNaysayer/BAF140

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax 4x4, 2017 LandCruiser, 2005 Sequoia 4x4
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
    They’ll get to 60k long before anything bad happens. Better find someone with an extended warranty.

13. Aug 11, 2020 at 7:34 PM
    TILLY

TILLY Gently Used Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport D/C

Duly noted and amended.

GODZILLA likes this.
  14. Aug 11, 2020 at 7:36 PM
    AZBoatHauler

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
    I’d do it but 215 is about as high as I’ve seen on my 2017. :crapstorm:

FrenchToasty likes this.
  15. Aug 11, 2020 at 7:44 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    Alex and I both watch trans temps and compare, there is no issue imo.. We always end up crawling slow, the cooler above my condenser coil literally does nothing at this point, probably hurts cause it’s heat soaked from always running the ac. Hitting the trans temp warning just means chill out, go past and it won’t let you hurt it, I tried lol.

osidepunker likes this.
  16. Aug 11, 2020 at 7:46 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    @sgtfluffy16 , Corey, you are new here. Cool. Glad you are here! We appreciate your opinion and quite frankly your fortitude on bringing this issue up... but we have some very knowledgeable folks here. Like @ColoradoTJ stated, @osidepunker beats the holy crap out of his tunny. I remember early on here that I questioned him for some stupid reason. Forgot now what it was. Got my attitude corrected quite quickly. Go with the flow with us... we will support you....we are not against you. We can be sarcastic at times. The longer you stay here you will understand.:thumbsup:

GODZILLA, Bammer, panicman and 3 others like this.
  17. Aug 11, 2020 at 7:54 PM
    Tundrafan23

Tundrafan23 New Member

Member:
    What testing do you think Toyota is going to do that they haven't done already? They hammered on this truck at Davis Dam and found that they still had enough headroom regarding trans temps.

18. Aug 11, 2020 at 8:00 PM
    Tundrafan23

Tundrafan23 New Member

Member:
    By adding that cooler you realize that you most likely voided your warranty regarding transmission issues, right? The Magnuson-Moss acts protects consumers to a certain extent, but in this case you are directly modifying the transmission in the eyes of Toyota.

19. Aug 11, 2020 at 8:01 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I have been thinking about this "no cooler" on 2019/20 trucks for a bit. I was just as shocked as most that it was removed from the trucks.

Have we seen any equipment failures yet? This is one of the largest (if not the largest with most traffic) Tundra enthusiast forums.

The trans/TC/motor temps are a little higher than what I am used to, so definitely not a fan of the "no external cooler" on these trucks.

Can there be another way? So today I was towing my normal 10K lbs, looked at my Edge CTS3 and something occurred to me, but might not work on a gasoline vehicle that is trying to stay "warmer" for emissions compliance.

Does anyone know when the Tundra goes into closed loop temperature wise? If the engine/coolant temp is 180* when going into closed loop...

The factory coolant thermostat is 180*, so I can assume that's when closed loop is obtained. What would installing a 160* thermostat help with? Cooler engine oil/coolant temps, and then possibly this might cool the trans down as well?

What about doing exhaust wrap around the exhaust that is close to the transmission?

What about running a more heavy duty clutch fan that engages at lower temp? This will definitely hit the MPG department.

I have exhaust wrap/shielding around my 4" exhaust as it passes buy the ol' Allison 1000. My temps dropped a good amount, especially during regeneration (exhaust temps can get upwards of 1250*).

This might help people get past the "high temps" they have been seeing. The trade off in the winter....might be a tit bit nippy. May have to swap back to the 180* thermostat.

Then I have to go back and consider if I'm trying to fix a non existent problem? Do I just add the external transmission cooler and be good?

For comparison:

Engine temps 181*

IMG_1805.jpg

Transmission temp

IMG_1806 2.jpg

Ambient temperature where I was towing today:

IMG_1809.jpg

Food for thought. There might not be a problem.

I got to go. Wife is requesting my presence in another room in the house. I'll be back in like 3 minutes...

GODZILLA, Jaypown, T-Rex266 and 3 others like this.
  20. Aug 11, 2020 at 8:01 PM
    Azblue

Azblue Beer is Good Ban Moderator

Member:
    The Dirty T
    Well, most of you. Not me just cause I'm an asshole. :eek:

GODZILLA, hagrid, Bammer and 4 others like this.
  21. Aug 11, 2020 at 8:08 PM
    sgtfluffy16

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    Hey Diesel, and a gas truck are completely different platforms. But the transmission fluid temperatures are it will be the same operating ranges across the board. Meaning they'll be similar buy a range. But they all won't be identical. Some will be higher, some will be lower. As different transmission fluid and different Transmissions are built differently by manufacturers. But I do see your point. Maybe there is nothing wrong, but if there's nothing wrong why can I not get basic information about the Ws transmission fluid? Why do they not have normal operating temperatures listed?

I think the failures that have come out already are few far and in-between because even if you drive your vehicle a lot. I bet there is no 2019 trucks out there yet with more than 50 or 60 thousand miles. They say that this transmission fluid is good for a hundred thousand miles. So it's going to take some time until someone sees that mileage. But my assumption is when the transmission start to blow up they're all going to be around the same mileage and it's going to be a whole bunch of them all at once. Technically this truck has barely been out two full years so at the moment it's just kind of a waiting game. I'm trying to be prepared and do my due diligence ahead of time so that I have a plan already lined up ready to roll. Because this is not only going to help me, this will help the thousands of other members on here and on the forums

22. Aug 11, 2020 at 8:21 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    Why can't you get details fron Exxon or Toyota about the fluid or transmission? Because that's proprietary information they don't want out there on the open market where their competitors can see it.

Try getting this same info from GM or Ford or from Shell or BP. I guarantee the answer will be the same. It's not some big conspiracy by Toyota; they're just not going to give design information to every person on the street who asks for it.

23. Aug 11, 2020 at 8:28 PM
    sgtfluffy16

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    Go look at the MSDS that I posted earlier. Toyota specifically States it as "not disclosed" the temperature of decomposition. I'm not asking for the chemical composition of their proprietary fluid. I'm asking for temperatures of the fluid and its ratings. I've also asked what the normal operating fluid temperatures ranges that the transmission should be operating within. They can't answer that for me either.

24. Aug 11, 2020 at 8:28 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Ass hole..with all due respect of course :thumbsup::burp:

25. Aug 11, 2020 at 8:32 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Can you link any reported and verified transmission failures with the MY19/20 Tundras? A good starting point...

26. Aug 11, 2020 at 9:15 PM
    mountainpete

mountainpete Explore more

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Crewmax TRD
    Function before sparkle.
    Adding fire... :cool:

The 2020 has a supplemental transmission cooler and temperature gauge!

http://media.toyota.ca/releases/rug...size-pickup-truck-thats-always-up-to-the-task

“Tundra’s no-so-secret formula starts under the hood, with a 32 valve 5.7 litre i-FORCE engine that generates an impressive 381 horsepower and 401 lb-ft of torque. Mated to a six-speed automatic with sequential shift mode and tow/haul capabilities, this powerhouse enables Tundra to tow anywhere from 8,800 pounds to 10,000 pounds, depending on model. All Tundra models are factory-fitted with a tow package – featuring heavy-duty tow hitch receiver, four and seven pin wiring harness, supplemental transmission cooler, and a transmission fluid temperature gauge – so you’re ready to start hauling right out of the Toyota Dealer.”

So what are you all worried about! :anonymous:

27. Aug 11, 2020 at 9:36 PM
    mountainpete

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Crewmax TRD
    Function before sparkle.
    It’s also in the published in the Tundra brochure currently on toyota.com and toyota.ca.

There actually could be a false advertising case.

02EAEC41-37EC-45B0-A70D-1ECB50B753A8.jpg

ryanwgregg likes this.
  28. Aug 11, 2020 at 9:41 PM
    AZBoatHauler

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    They are referring to the coolant heat exchanger which technically cools the transmission fluid once the ATF is hotter than the coolant.

29. Aug 11, 2020 at 9:46 PM
    mountainpete

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Crewmax TRD
    Function before sparkle.
    I wouldn’t consider that “supplemental”. By adding that word it is clearly calling out a unique difference for the towing package.

ryanwgregg likes this.
  30. Aug 11, 2020 at 9:49 PM
    AZBoatHauler

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Pretty sure every 2019/2020 made has the tow package so you can’t really have a distinction.

ryanwgregg and Tundrafan23 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top