1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2018 Tundra TPMS Question

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by john43565, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Jun 12, 2019 at 12:04 PM
    john43565

john43565 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Hi

I tried a search for my question but could not find it, so here it is. I have steel wheels on my SR5 and just bought a set of 2018 toyota aluminum takeoffs I am going to use a new set of TPMS sensors toyota(42604-oc091) I no they have to be programmed for the vehicle. I plan on taking the alloys off for the winter and using the original steel wheels. I am assuming the tire light will stay off and I will be able to see the preasures on the dash or is there a procedure in flopping from the steel wheels to the alloys and vise versa.I have owned toyotas for 45 years but the new stuff is more involved.

2. Jun 12, 2019 at 1:42 PM
    danz75

danz75 New Member

Member:
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    18' Cement SR5
    OEM LED headlights, Rigid SAE foglights, Go Rhino RB10 running boards, ARE Classic CX
    You would have to register the IDs again whenever you swap the wheels. The ECU only remembers 4 IDs. Look at page 498 of the owners manual to register the IDs. Page 497 for re-initializing the system if you need to change the baseline pressure. I do the same for my 2018 SR5.

3. Jun 12, 2019 at 2:21 PM
    john43565

john43565 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    danz75 Thank you. After I posted and before reading page 497 and 498 in the owners manual I called a local Toyota dealer and told them of my situation and he told me to wright down the ID' of each new sensor and each one would have to be manually input into the ECU of the truck for $118.00 and that would have to be done every time I changed wheels. Are they FOS,not educated on the 2018 and up vehicles, Trying to slip me though the grease or is there some truth to it?

4. Jun 12, 2019 at 3:26 PM
    danz75

danz75 New Member

Member:
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    18' Cement SR5
    OEM LED headlights, Rigid SAE foglights, Go Rhino RB10 running boards, ARE Classic CX
    My truck came with the steelies and when I bought TRD-OR takeoff aluminums, a couple of dealers that I talked to told me that the only way to input the new IDs is through techstream. I asked them about page 498 in the manual and they did not know anything about that and still insisted that the only way is to use techstream. So when I installed the aluminums with new OEM TPMS, I followed the procedure on page 498 and got the new TPMS IDs to register in the ECU and so the pressure shows up on my dash. It did take longer than 30 mins (as warned in the owners manual that it is dependent on traffic speeds etc) but it worked. When I swapped the wheels this spring, I did the same thing to register the IDs again and the pressure showed up on my dash. I think that's the reason why 2018 and up TPMS part numbers are different from 2017 and prior models. As far as I know, the ECU only retains 4 TPMS IDs in the memory so everytime you swap wheels, you have to re-register the IDs. For 2017 and prior, the only way is to use techstream software.

Products Discussed in

To Top