1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2018 Tundra Pre Collision Code Issues

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by PBH, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Jan 31, 2018 at 6:23 AM
    cheeato

cheeato New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 - Crewmax 4x4
    Join me to the party. My Pre Collision light in my dash just started going crazy in the last two days. It has repeatedly come on every time I drive the truck. While driving it flashes on and off for no apparent reason. I just started the truck this morning and it came on immediately again. My truck has less than 600 miles on it. I have a friend that also has a 2018 and his Pre Collision light has been on for three days solid.

2. Jan 31, 2018 at 6:27 AM
    757TUNDRA

757TUNDRA Not a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Red Metallic Platinum 4x4
    OEM Bed Cover, OEM Bed Rail System, OEM Bedmat, OEM Doorsill Protectors, OEM TRD Rear Sway Bar, OEM Color Matched Door Handles, OEM Color Matched Mirror Caps, OEM Bed Net, OEM Driver Side Grab Handle, BFG K02 LT275/60/20, WeatherTech Digifit FloorLiners, Salex OCD Console Organizer, Salex Console Tray
    Easy fix. Just take it to the dealer for the ECU/Center Airbag Sensor. There have been a few folks having this issue but it's easily correctable. I'm sure it's frustrating to have that happen to a new vehicle, but fortunately it's a very easy fix.

3. Jan 31, 2018 at 7:46 AM
    Wifiwizard

Wifiwizard New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gibo
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Tundra Limited
    Visit your Toyota dealership. I just recently had the computer unit replaced (which took care of the airbag recall firmware and also the pre-collision error) I also had to have the YAW sensor replaced be cause I was experiencing Trailer Brake towing errors as well. This started to occur with ONLY 7 miles on the vehicle.

4. Jan 31, 2018 at 7:49 AM
    Wifiwizard

Wifiwizard New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gibo
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Tundra Limited
    That is amazing. It only took my dealership (Germain Toyota Naples FL) 2 days to get the computer and the YAW rate sensor!

5. Jan 31, 2018 at 8:15 AM
    Nap1970

Nap1970 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD off road
    I can completely relate to this problem and I apologize in advance for the lengthiness of my post.

I just purchased my very first Tundra on January 11 after having a 2011 Tacoma for previous 5 years. 2018 TRD off road Double cab and I bought it with only 11 miles on it.

Only a week after owning it the PCS off light comes on and stayed on had to take to dealership that day. They hooked it up to computer and etc. and was told by shop foreman that he had to contact Toyota and would call me by Wednesday to let me know what was going on. I then noticed that the PCS off light was off upon my leaving the dealership. I wasn’t sure if the dealership had done something to fix this and they informed me that there was nothing else that they could do for me since the light was no longer on. They said the PCS off light had to be on for them to troubleshoot.

A few days later pcs off indicator comes on again and this time only stays on for about 30 seconds and goes off by itself.
    Yesterday PCS indicator off light comes on again while I am driving down the road. I pull over into a parking lot, turn the truck off, let it sit for 30 seconds, restart the truck and the PCS light goes off. Not sure what is the cause or why it keeps happening but this is third time in less than 3 weeks. According to dealership I am not able to bring truck in unless the PCS off light is actually on. The PCS light off goes off by itself the 2 previous times that it has come on and went off when I shut the truck off this time. That being said, this makes it difficult for me to make sure that I can get it to dealership with the PCS light on due to how it comes and goes off randomly. There obviously is some sort of issue with the PCS system/sensor that needs to be looked into but I can’t even guarantee that the PCS light will still be on once I drive out to dealership. Pointless for me to keep driving back and forth with how the light comes on and off randomly.

Long story short, a few minutes later the PCS off indicator light came back on and I immediately drove up to the dealership and of course, the PCS off light goes off shortly before I get to dealership. I once again explain what is happening and that I am getting extremely frustrated due to the fact that this keeps happening when my truck isn’t even 3 weeks old yet and only has 292 miles on it. They tell me that they have a representative from Toyota coming into town on February 7 and they will bring it to his attention and that they need me to drop it off on Friday so that they can have it for a few days before the rep gets here. Wasn’t thrilled about not having my brand new truck for 7-10 days but I agreed.

Approximately 15 minutes later as I am pulling into my neighborhood from being at the dealership, I notice that the damn PCS off indicator is back on! I immediately turned around and drove straight up to the dealership and told them that this absolutely ridiculous and they can take my truck now and start trying to figure out what is wrong. Was told yesterday that they will give me an update sometime yesterday or today and I plan on calling around 3pm if I haven’t heard anything yet. Really, really unhappy. I purchased a Tundra because of the proven reliability and I already am having these issues. Starting to regret my decision.

6. Jan 31, 2018 at 8:29 AM
    PBH

PBH [OP] New Member

Member:
    Destin Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Crewmax xsp
    Screenshot_20180110-211711.jpg
    See the attached picture/file. I haven't had any issues since...

Paula B likes this.
  7. Jan 31, 2018 at 5:19 PM
    Nap1970

Nap1970 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD off road
    @PBH

Thanks for the information regarding my post. I called the dealership a few hours ago to see what the status was about my truck and they told me something about they contacted Toyota and Toyota stated to perform some sort of system software reboot and update and that my truck will be ready in the morning. I then explained to the service manager that this is obviously becoming a common problem with 2018 models, that several other people have had this happen, and then I relayed the information you had told me. He replied that what you said definitely sounded like it made sense and that he would look into it. This is extremely frustrating. Hopefully, they will just replace the ECU/ central airbag sensor so that I don’t have to bring it back in.

PBH[OP] likes this.
  8. Jan 31, 2018 at 5:49 PM
    PBH

PBH [OP] New Member

Member:
    Destin Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Crewmax xsp
    You're welcome. Keep us updated..

9. Feb 1, 2018 at 2:40 PM
    Nap1970

Nap1970 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD off road
    @PBH

Got my truck back today and was told that they did everything Toyota told them to do regarding this matter. However, they couldn’t replace ECU/ central air bag sensor bc there was no error code for it. Five minutes down the road and the PCS indicator off light comes on again and I immediately take it back to dealership.

Long story short, this is what seems to be the majority of the problem. The PCS indicator off light comes on and when the service technician goes to scan it then no error codes show up on the computer even though the technician can see that the PCS indicator off light right in front of him. Also according to the technician, it likely isn’t the ECU/ central air bag sensor since it is only the PCS indicator off light that comes on by itself and it doesn’t come on in addition to tow trailer brake lights and etc.

This really has been a huge inconvenience. I have had the truck for 3 weeks and have had to bring it up to dealership numerous times for the PCS off indicator coming on randomly. As of today, Toyota told the dealership that they want me to keep record of every time this happens and when it does I am then to record the weather and road conditions, whether I was driving straight or turning, is there a guard rail next to me, how fast I was going, to take a picture of the PCS indicator off light and picture text it to the service manager and etc.

I have agreed to do so because I want this issue to be resolved. My having to do this is even more of an inconvenience and when all is said and done I am going to ask Toyota what they are going to do to compensate me not only for having to deal with this issue but also for having to do all this other work recording information for them to try and determine what is causing this to happen. This is absolutely ridiculous. Really over it, this has been the absolute worst automobile buying experience that I have ever had.

10. Feb 1, 2018 at 3:01 PM
    757TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    OEM Bed Cover, OEM Bed Rail System, OEM Bedmat, OEM Doorsill Protectors, OEM TRD Rear Sway Bar, OEM Color Matched Door Handles, OEM Color Matched Mirror Caps, OEM Bed Net, OEM Driver Side Grab Handle, BFG K02 LT275/60/20, WeatherTech Digifit FloorLiners, Salex OCD Console Organizer, Salex Console Tray
    Man, I'm sure that's really frustrating. If I were you, I would call Toyota Corporate and open a case. As they have done for others, I'm sure they'll send a tech to check it out/solve it.

11. Feb 1, 2018 at 3:33 PM
    HTGreen

HTGreen New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Halsey
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TRD Tundra Quicksand
    document Lemon Law, that will get their attention.

12. Feb 1, 2018 at 3:38 PM
    Nap1970

Nap1970 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD off road
    @PBH

Not sure if I am ready to try and talk to corporate yet, I have hard enough time keeping my cool with people at dealership. Last thing I want is having to deal with people putting me on hold constantly if I call corporate. It is possible that I may have purchased a lemon and if that’s the case I am not sure what I would do if and when Toyota has to either reimburse me or get me another Tundra. I have a feeling that this is unfortunately heading in that direction. As of right now and based on this experience, I really don’t know if I would want to purchase another Tundra.

13. Feb 1, 2018 at 3:50 PM
    netranger6

netranger6 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2021 Crewmax. 4x4, SR5, Blacked Out package
    None. Keeping this one stock.

Dude. Same exact thing I experienced, and it just went away. I didn't t take their shit at the dealer, and elevated it to the Regional Care team. No codes were found at all. but they updated the air bag eco and replaced the front sensor on the emblem. Regional Tech stated it is likely a batch of bad radar sensors. I suggest you call the region.

757TUNDRA likes this.
  14. Feb 1, 2018 at 3:51 PM
    netranger6

netranger6 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    Please look at my posts, click on my name, and read my same exact experience. Sounds almost verbatim as yours.

15. Feb 1, 2018 at 3:59 PM
    Nap1970

Nap1970 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD off road
    @HTGreen

I have done some research regarding the lemon law and how it applies to me since I live in Virginia. It is isn’t quite at that point yet but unfortunately does seem to be heading in that direction. Trying to be optimistic bc I really want it to work out with this truck

16. Feb 1, 2018 at 4:12 PM
    Nap1970

Nap1970 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD off road
    @netranger6

That’s crazy regarding how it sounds like we are having exact same issue. Toyota corporate is sending a representative to the dealership on February 7 and you better believe my ass is going to be there to talk him. Much rather talk to someone face to face than on the phone but if I have to call whoever than I will. Fortunately it seems that the service technicians really want to figure out what is going on bc this is first time that they have seen my particular issue with the 2018 Tundra. I will pass on the information regarding what was done to fix your truck.

17. Feb 1, 2018 at 4:14 PM
    757TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    ^^^^ This is the solution.

18. Feb 1, 2018 at 4:15 PM
    Nap1970

Nap1970 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD off road
    I think that I will probably go ahead and try contacting Regional Care team.

19. Feb 1, 2018 at 4:20 PM
    netranger6

netranger6 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    I bought mine 11/20/17. Was at dealer complaining inside 2 weeks with 600 miles. I have videos of all of it, and like you, would get down there with the codes active. Radar cruise won't work either when PCS is on. But low and behold, it resets right before I get there. Told them, I am not driving there every time and simply called the Regional Team. Tech spent a couple of hours with it, found not stored codes...of course, but had the dealer order the sensor up front. Was a 2 week back order. For me, that was January 9th. The PCS light stopped coming on the day before Christmas, and never returned. Pretty funky.

20. Feb 1, 2018 at 4:37 PM
    Larmand

Larmand SSEM #6

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 SLIGHTLY MODIFIED SR5 TRD CM 4x4-CEMENT
    Same issues here, been happening since I got the truck. They've tried all the same things to fix, but fail to change sensor in front or srs ecu. Calling corporate wont help either, ive been assigned a case manager and all she does is call the dealership. Dealership says that they are waiting for the technical guys to tell them what to do next....Just sitting in limbo waiting.

21. Feb 1, 2018 at 5:59 PM
    netranger6

netranger6 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    Funny. My regional tech came from Ft worth to Victoria. What you need to do is tell them you want action or they can take the truck back and get you another. As soon as i said that bam. Ball rolling. Also tell your regional customer care manager that you already dealt with the dealer and they are clueless.

757TUNDRA likes this.
  22. Feb 1, 2018 at 6:09 PM
    Larmand

Larmand SSEM #6

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 SLIGHTLY MODIFIED SR5 TRD CM 4x4-CEMENT
    Will try that tomorrow

23. Feb 1, 2018 at 6:22 PM
    Les7311

Les7311 Look up, what do you see

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Blue Tundra TRD 4x4
    ....... the moment the light comes on, pull out your cellphone and start recording!!!!

Don’t turn off the camera until you recorded the code/ light, your face, the truck, time, color, license plate ......

....... that’s your proof!!!!

757TUNDRA likes this.
  24. Feb 1, 2018 at 7:10 PM
    netranger6

netranger6 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    Mine stopped before the regional tech came. But he reproduced it during a test drive. But no code was recorded. So he flashed the recall on airbag ecu or recorder. And had dealer replace front sensor. And harness. Hasn'
    Happened since December 23rd.

757TUNDRA likes this.
  25. Feb 1, 2018 at 8:14 PM
    PBH

PBH [OP] New Member

Member:
    Destin Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Crewmax xsp
    I would tell them to keep your truck and put you into a rental(tundra) until it's fixed. I know it's frustrating as Hell!

26. Feb 2, 2018 at 6:58 AM
    Nap1970

Nap1970 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD off road
    Update.

As much as I want this fixed asap, I have decided to let the dealership continue to figure out this problem. The head mechanic seems to be really interested in fixing this and has been in contact with me several times with updated information from Toyota regional manager. I can continue to be patient for another week or so until I have a chance to speak with Toyota Regional management in person. Big inconvenience, but hoping that my willingness to work with the dealership service department will beneficial down the road for me since this is where all my maintenance work will be done in future.

PBH[OP] likes this.
  27. Feb 4, 2018 at 10:35 AM
    Nap1970

Nap1970 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD off road
    Service department called me up Friday, mechanic told me that he just got off phone with Toyota and they want me to once again bring it up there so they can scan it and this time also check to make sure that the sensor behind the Toyota emblem is not dirty and clean it if necessary. I bring it up there and they inform me that they did need to clean the sensor and if the problem continues to happen then they will likely have to change this sensor as the next step. I asked why can’t they just change it out now? He responds that this is what he is being instructed to do per Toyota Regional service manager and that this process will also help out other customers in the future with this same problem.
    I told him that I completely understand this and hope I can be off some help but I am really tired of driving back and forth to dealership and tired of sitting around the waiting room for hours at a time. I told him that once this is hopefully fixed I would like to know whom I need to contact to speak to regarding some sort of compensation for the enormous inconvenience this situation has caused me. He couldn’t really point me in the right direction except for the Toyota 1800 number. Nice kid, not his fault this is going on not is it his job to play customer retention. I am not going to trouble him with asking stuff like this.
    Doing as instructed, been documenting when the light comes on and everything else that they want me to document. Light didn’t come on at yesterday but has came on several times randomly today. Giving them one more chance and then I am going above their heads and will likely be filing a lemon law complaint. Not only is this extremely frustrating but it also is embarrassing as hell when family and friends see that your brand new expensive Tundra is always in the shop. Completely over this shit!

28. Feb 4, 2018 at 10:41 AM
    netranger6

netranger6 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    For what its' worth bro. Mine just stopped doing it after a few weeks. And I keep my truck clean. I took videos of it happening during start up and disappearing inside a few miles, as well as me rushing to get to the dealer with it still active. My solution was to tell service manager i am not going to take time out of work, burn gas, to get down there every time just for them to say nothing is registered in ecu. So, I elevated it to Regional and they took care of it. But, it wasn't doing it for a week before the Regional Tech came in. He flashed the air bag ecu, and had dealer order new sensor, and put me in a rental for the day he was diagnosing. My truck had less than a grand on it when it was replaced. Haven't had he issue since December 23rd. Sensor replaced January 9th.

757TUNDRA likes this.
  29. Feb 4, 2018 at 12:52 PM
    Nap1970

Nap1970 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD off road
    @netranger6

I know that you have previously stated that I should contact Toyota Regional office regarding the issue that I am having. However, the service department at the dealership has already informed me that they are working directly with the Toyota Regional office in my matter. This would lead me to think that I should probably contact whoever is next on the chain of command. Any chance you would know who that would be?

30. Feb 7, 2018 at 2:40 PM
    Nap1970

Nap1970 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD off road
    Update

Yesterday I sent an email to the dealership general manager explaining to him what is going on and how much of an inconvenience this has been. I also informed him that I can’t keep taking my truck back and forth to dealership will Toyota keeps trying to figure out what’s wrong and that I want my truck swapped out if it can not me properly repaired the next time I bring it in. As of yet, I haven’t heard back from him.

The service department contacts me this morning to let me know that they have ordered a new PCS sensor for my truck and will call me as soon as it is delivered so they can replace it. I really hope that this fixes this problem bc I would like to finally be able to enjoy my new purchase.

Products Discussed in

To Top