1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2018 Tundra Pre Collision Code Issues

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by PBH, Dec 13, 2017.

1. May 9, 2020 at 10:07 AM
    Wyotndra27

Wyotndra27 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    2018 crewmax 1794
    Ads 2.5 rear shocks 18x9 method 309 33” Toyo open country AT2’s
    Tried it... turns out I fucked up the clock spring ‍♂️

2. May 12, 2020 at 7:54 PM
    JoeJob

JoeJob Drummer for Booty and the Hoe Fish

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited CM Silver Sky
    TRD rear sway bar, console organizer, stubby antenna, LEDs for cabin, cargo, license plate, and reverse lights, power-fold mirrors, Westin nerf bars, full stereo upgrade. Future - color-match grill surround/bulge, mirror caps, handles, plasti-dip badges.
    mine ended being a blown fuse on the same circuit as the neutral safety switch. Ultimately caused by a bad backup led bulb.

3. Sep 17, 2020 at 8:50 AM
    mdrabicki

mdrabicki New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD PRO
    Same exact mistake on my 3 month old 2020 TRD Pro which is costing me about $1k to repair at the Toyota dealer now, I'll explain.

I installed the coachbuilder TRD Pro kit with my brother over the course of a weekend and everything went smooth as could be. Since my final goal is 35" tires David from Coachbuilder recommends the Energy Suspension Urethane bushings to be used in place of the stock OEM rubber ones to improve steering feel with larger wheels. No problem however when I started to read about others install stories the times ranged anywhere from 3-16 hours depending on your tools/skill level and luck with the bushing which can be rather stubborn to remove. A lift rather than my driveway made a lot more sense and since I ran out of weekend time I figured I'd have a shop do it. Good thing because it took them 6 hours as the passenger upper bushing was the stubborn one taking over 4 hours to remove. Here's the F'd up part. Its a friend of a friend's shop who I've had good luck with for years on simple (non computer/electrical) type of work. He didn't mark the steering shaft location before removing it from the bolt holding the steering shaft to the rack. Nor did he lock the steering wheel from turning by inserting the seat belt through the wheel and strapping it in place (something I never thought of doing but explained by the dealer as this is their procedure). Anyway, after the bushings were installed and I paid for the labor $360 and I go to drive away and as soon as I turn the wheel the my dash lights up like a Christmas Tree with Headlight malfunction/LDA ERROR/Trailer Brake Error and a host of others I can't remember. Mechanic says ahhhh the SAS - steering Angle sensor needs to be reset. (Due to not marking or locking the steering wheel in place before removing the shaft from the rack). No problem I thought, simple mistake but a solution is at hand. Well his software stops at 2019 and my truck is a 2020 and hes not the most confident person when it comes up dating scanners. Its late on Friday so I'll come back monday and we'll go around the block to his buddies shop which has everything updated to 2020 and he'll perform the reset. So I return on Monday and his buddy connects his scanner and starts up the truck and says DONE!. I say wait all the lights are still on and he says yes I have reset it but the system needs to learn about the new position of your steering wheel so you need to drive about 55 miles and the lights will turn off. Hmmmm...ok fine you deal with this everyday, I don't and it just so happens I have to drive far today as I'll have the 55 miles on in about 2 hours. Well the situation never rectifies itself and I'm losing confidence in that shop to have the skills to fix this mess. Same day I receive the mail from Toyota about the turn signal wiring harness recall. Hey perfect excuse to goto the dealer! I made an appt and brought my truck to the dealer yesterday for the recall and to investigate the TSS problem, clearly knowing that its not going to be warranty work at this point. Tech calls me a few hours later, recall issue complete and tried to reprogram the SAS but its showing a fault and is not able to be fixed. I'm like, ok tell me the bad news, he goes the part is the Clock Spring in the steering wheel itself part# 84307-0C020 for 2018-2020 tundras. Tech tells me this usually breaks 1 of 2 ways. 1 the vehicle has been in an accident (not the case here) or 2 steering wheel has been disconnected from the rack and wheel was not locked from turning. When this happens the steering wheel has rotated too far and damaged the clock spring (which of course is Bingo!). I told him about the steering rack bushing swap and asked how many wheel rotations constitute as too that could cause damage. He said greater than 180 degrees. So there's my answer. The clock spring (spiral cable) needs to be replaced part cost is about $670 plus 3.5 hours labor including the reprogramming will come out to near $1000. Obvious thoughts here are why is the shop owner not paying for it? Well he refuses to accept responsibility unfortunately so the path of least resistance to get this mess sorted is just to pay for it and move on. Sucks but anyone attempting to swap their steering rack bushings should take note to lock their steering wheel using the seat belt as Toyota does. Its not mentioned in the Energy Suspension instructions but then most instructions can leave out important steps/tips and are usually over confident in terms of expected time.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    diablodalton likes this.
  4. Sep 17, 2020 at 9:26 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    Make sure you give that shop a bad review and tell your friends not to use them.

5. Sep 18, 2020 at 7:33 AM
    mdrabicki

mdrabicki New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD PRO
    Normally I would handle it in the reviews but this is a tricky situation with him being a friend of a friend and we overlap in the same circles from time to time. So I'll keep the reviews on the d/l stop referring any new people to him.

6. Nov 17, 2020 at 5:34 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    Mine came on today (2nd time, once last year).

Both times, -10 or so, parking lot, parked, rolling up window (down from taking a ticket pass). I start to roll up window and the code comes on. I got a pic (date stamped for dealer) this time.

It's going in for service next month, I'll wait until then if nothing else becomes of it.

4hi and 4low were flashing. Everything back to normal after I turned off and back on.
    PXL_20201117_132045221.jpg

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  7. Aug 19, 2023 at 8:39 AM
    Jl48146

Jl48146 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Tallahassee fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 tundra sr 5.7 4x4
    None
    Hey ya'll. Here's my problem SOLVED. I wanted to share my experience with the same issues. I went thru all the threads like everyone else has to come up empty as well. Then I remembered something someone told me a long time ago. Disconnect the battery. Clean the post to ensure proper ground, touch positive and negative together for 30 seconds and reconnect starting with ground wire. All notifications went out and so far all is good. Just wanted to share.

Products Discussed in

To Top