1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2018 Tundra Pre Collision Code Issues

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by PBH, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Jul 21, 2018 at 7:11 AM
    Bigjoe7757

Bigjoe7757 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra CrewMax TRD Sport

I had this exact same issue when upgrading to LEDs on my 2015 Tacoma. Drove me nuts.

2. Jul 24, 2018 at 11:12 AM
    TundraNoCo

TundraNoCo New Member

Member:
    Northern Colorado, FoCo
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota Tundra Platinum
    Bed lined, tinted all 5 windows, hose clamped tailgate, toolbox, steps, ESP rear seat storage bins, dash cam, anytime camera switch, console safe, pop a lock for tailgate and wheels/flares, sway bar. I have Techstream if anyone local needs it.
    I'm just back from the dealer. In my case, the radar sensor behind the Toyota emblem is indeed the culprit. They have to order the part, so I guess it'll be another 10 days or so with no dash display other than the error message. My work order says they are ordering a "Millimeter Radar Assembly". The service advisor and tech both said this is a first for them, which is hard to comprehend given the quantity of online comments.

3. Jul 24, 2018 at 9:42 PM
    Flatzby

Flatzby New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '18 Crewmax Limited MGM TRD OR
    Sounds like there isn't a clear consensus among the dealers as to what the true root cause of the issue is. I brought mine in today and they said all signs point to the camera on the windshield. They also said there are over 450 on back-order, so it must be a somewhat common problem. They somehow got a line on one from another local dealer; they expect it in tomorrow, so we'll see if that fixes it! I asked if Toyota sent out a service bulletin for this issue and he said no, but one other '18 was in for the same thing.

TundraNoCo likes this.
  4. Jul 25, 2018 at 8:31 PM
    Flatzby

Flatzby New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '18 Crewmax Limited MGM TRD OR
    So they ended up getting the new camera installed and re-calibrated in about an hour and the code is gone! here's a pic of the receipt and the error codes they scanned along with the part they installed. Hopefully this helps someone else having this issue.

Service Receipt.jpg

On a side note, if this happens outside of warranty, I glanced at the paperwork on their end and it would have been $740 for this repair :spending: Knock on wood this issue doesn't return later! I'll be sure to post up again if it does.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    WAtundra4x4 likes this.
  5. Aug 20, 2018 at 6:49 PM
    SNICKERS

SNICKERS New Member

Member:
    My light was off for about 1k miles after the radar sensor behind emblem in grill was replaced. The PCS light is now coming on again constantly. This is the 3rd time the sensor has supposedly been replaced. I now have 5k on truck and have had issues since it had 300 miles on it.. This gets very frustrating....

6. Aug 21, 2018 at 5:00 AM
    TundraNole

TundraNole Boat Drinks

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited 4x2
    Hi folks, my new rig is having the same issue...but my dash has also completely turned off for a period of time.

I took it to a Toyota dealership and their mechanic said that there was is a communication error between the ECM and brake controller due to the truck lift. Does anybody have any experience with this and is this valid? If so should my lift (6 inch trail master) have come with a kit to adjust that connection?

Thanks in advance.

7. Aug 21, 2018 at 5:22 AM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    No mods yet
    That BS! This issue is happening to everyone. Lift or no lift. I like when a dealer says “haven’t seen this before”. Yeah ok.

8. Aug 21, 2018 at 5:31 AM
    TundraNole

TundraNole Boat Drinks

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited 4x2
    That’s what I was thinking. I told her that this started happening before I put the lift on it but she just repeated what the mechanic said. Here’s exactly what the mechanic wrote down.

02853A9B-8B24-4EFF-A267-11AC1C1BAD30.jpg

9. Aug 21, 2018 at 12:30 PM
    TundraNole

TundraNole Boat Drinks

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited 4x2
    Any chance anybody has some insight to what Toyota wrote about my issue in the above post?

10. Aug 21, 2018 at 1:29 PM
    8MINT8

8MINT8 #NotBetty

Member:
    Lost
    Vehicle:
    2018 Unicorn TRD
    Communication error between ECM and brake control due to aftermarket interface for lifted vehicle. Cleared codes and operating normally at this time. Any further issues with interface would need to be handled by company that lifted vehicle.

11. Aug 21, 2018 at 1:34 PM
    TundraNole

TundraNole Boat Drinks

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited 4x2
    lol thx but I know what it says. My apologies for not being more clear. I’m looking to see if what the mechanic is valid.

12. Aug 22, 2018 at 5:22 PM
    XJersey

XJersey New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black Tundra TSS
    When did your new sensor arrive and did it fix the issue? I was told I needed the same thing last Saturday and I’m told this Wednesday after checking up on the part’s arrival date that it’s on backorder with no ETA.

13. Aug 22, 2018 at 5:35 PM
    XJersey

XJersey New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black Tundra TSS
    What was the result and how long did it take for the part to come in and for the the actual repair job? Mine started the constant PCS Malfunction Alert last week and I only got my truck in March. After bringing to dealer and assuring them I did no modifications (they ask this), they say it is the radar sensor they will replace to fix this, but they’re on backorder. Apparently I’m like number 72 on a list of 96 in the nation needing this part, is what they said after I requested some sort of shipping info/ update.

14. Aug 22, 2018 at 5:41 PM
    polymerhead

polymerhead New Member

Member:
    I’m starting to think it’s smart to leave a truck completely stuck for the first 10k Miles to ensure any bugs don’t show up. Sorry some folks here have to fight the “it’s your lift” argument. That sucks.

15. Aug 22, 2018 at 5:53 PM
    TundraNoCo

TundraNoCo New Member

Member:
    Northern Colorado, FoCo
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota Tundra Platinum
    Bed lined, tinted all 5 windows, hose clamped tailgate, toolbox, steps, ESP rear seat storage bins, dash cam, anytime camera switch, console safe, pop a lock for tailgate and wheels/flares, sway bar. I have Techstream if anyone local needs it.
    In my case, it took just over a week to get the part. It took them 90 minutes to replace the sensor, and then about another hour to re-calibrate everything. So far, so good. No error. Time will tell if this is the fix in my case. Also, as mentioned in my earlier post, the dealer seemed surprised and said they had not seen this. It's a fairly large dealer, so I'm not sure if they were feeding me a line of crap, or if it was really their first one. I see many others have to wait for the part, as it's back ordered, etc. That wasn't the case for me. Just an observation.

16. Aug 23, 2018 at 12:28 PM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    No mods yet
    I’ve replaced every part of the TSS system(camera, harness and sensor x 3)and mine started coming on again. No sure fix in sight just a bandaid for a couple weeks till it starts up again. This is not like Toyota.

17. Aug 23, 2018 at 5:32 PM
    757TUNDRA

757TUNDRA Not a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Red Metallic Platinum 4x4
    OEM Bed Cover, OEM Bed Rail System, OEM Bedmat, OEM Doorsill Protectors, OEM TRD Rear Sway Bar, OEM Color Matched Door Handles, OEM Color Matched Mirror Caps, OEM Bed Net, OEM Driver Side Grab Handle, BFG K02 LT275/60/20, WeatherTech Digifit FloorLiners, Salex OCD Console Organizer, Salex Console Tray
    That stinks. Sorry to hear it’s still doing it. Are you lifted or leveled? I stopped by my local dealer a few days ago to pick up an oil filter for my Corolla and asked if they have had any ‘18s come in with this issue and they said no, but said one of their other Toyota dealerships did and that truck was leveled. They said the level is throwing the system off. They didn’t say whether the issue was resolved. Can’t imagine how frustrated you guys must be. Hope they figure it out soon.

18. Aug 23, 2018 at 5:43 PM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    No mods yet
    Straight stock. My dealer has a couple that have the issue.

19. Aug 23, 2018 at 5:46 PM
    SNICKERS

SNICKERS New Member

Member:
    I have no lift or leveled, I have been to the dealership 5 times for this problem since February. They have replaced 3 sensors and recalibrated also. This started with 300 miles, now have 5k and still has issues. The last fix lasted about 1k miles. Then pcs light started flickering on and off like a short. Last Friday drove through a heavy rain, and eventually it said see dealer for service. This warning light is now constant.
    Back to dealer Monday.

20. Aug 23, 2018 at 5:50 PM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    No mods yet
    We are going through the same ordeal. I asked them today if something was shorting the system. It flickers then stays on, flickers then on, then there will be no light for a little bit.

21. Aug 23, 2018 at 6:03 PM
    SNICKERS

SNICKERS New Member

Member:
    When it first started flickering on and off I could wiggle the wires at both connections and it would go off for a bit. Maybe just a coincidence? The connectors on wire harness behind honeycomb grill have no water protection. The connector has a orange rubber seal inside. The side of connector where wires go in has no sheathing or any covering. The wires are not bare, but I can see the colors of the wires going into connector, I don't think this is very water proof.

22. Aug 27, 2018 at 12:28 PM
    JordanxRide

JordanxRide New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Truxedo Roll-up Bed Cover, Toyota Bed Mat, Tyger Side Step Rails, Toyota Deck Rails
    I had my truck in the dealer about a month ago for about a week to replace the radar sensor. Taking it back this afternoon because the PCS Off light kept flashing on and off then it stops by itself. No rhyme or reason.

23. Aug 30, 2018 at 8:44 AM
    JordanxRide

JordanxRide New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Truxedo Roll-up Bed Cover, Toyota Bed Mat, Tyger Side Step Rails, Toyota Deck Rails
    So.... I took my truck back to the dealer a few days ago because the PCS Off light came on a few times last week. This is after the radar sensor was replaced about three weeks ago. In conjunction with Toyota regional, they didn't find anything wrong. Pointed me to the owner's manual which says this on page 243 about the PCS system: If the PCS warning light flashes or illuminates, and a warning message is displayed on the multi-function display
    The pre-collision system may be temporarily unavailable or there may be a malfunction in the system.
    The following situations may cause this:
    * When the radar sensor or camera sensor or the area around either sensor is hot, such as in the sun
    * When the radar sensor or camera sensor or the area around either sensor is cold, such as in an extremely cold environment
    * When the radar sensor or front grill emblem is dirty or covered with snow, etc.
    * When the part of the windshield in front of the camera sensor is fogged up or covered with condensation or ice
    * If the camera sensor is obstructed, such are when the hood is open or a sticker is attached to the windshield near the camera sensor

24. Sep 18, 2018 at 3:58 PM
    KEG89

KEG89 Proud American

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 White TRD Pro
    Decided to chime in with my PCS issues/experiences. My truck is an ‘18 Tundra CM TRD sport. I purchased it new in March of 2018 and this is my first Toyota truck. I can say I love this truck but HATE the PCS and the poorly R&D’d TSS system Toyota put to market. I have been to the dealer 3 times in ~3500 miles and the sensor has been replaced twice. At 5300 (present) it failed again. I opened a case with Toyota Corp during the second failure and all they did was call my dealer and set up a repair appointment, waste. My dealer and service manager have been great. I may never be able to say that again because I generally think dealers are scumbags and service the same. I started another case with Corporate for this third failure and they can’t even get back to me in the timeframe they said they would. I am highly concerned with the failure rate. If I were to average my failure rate at 5300 miles I’m seeing a bad sensor every 1766 miles. My dealer can’t even change parts without Toyota authorizing the failure, even though the codes are the same every time. As a manufacturing engineer I’d be sent on site and not come home until my customer was fixed and fixed right. Toyota doesn’t seem to actually care about its quality and customers as much as they rave. I’ll post back after this 4th visit 3rd sensor repair. I’m also researching Ohio Lemon laws just to be on the safe side.

25. Sep 19, 2018 at 3:18 AM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    No mods yet
    I am pursuing the Illinois lemon law right now with Toyota. On my initial filing they declined a buyback saying the the TSS issue doesn’t effect the use of or effect the safety of the truck. Yes, a failing safety system doesn’t effect the safety of the truck. Sounds idiotic doesn’t it? I can see some idiots driving right into someone not knowing the radar cruise isn’t working. Plus, if an accident happens during the malfunction without warning the driver. Then Toyota will be at partial fault.

26. Sep 20, 2018 at 9:02 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    The other vehicles toyota makes with TSS, are they having the same growing pains as the tundra? i know the Rav has it too

27. Sep 20, 2018 at 9:56 AM
    BWinter

BWinter New Member

Member:
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    2018 White 1794, TRD Off Road, 4x4
    My wife's 2016 Lexus ES350 has the same systems and it has been flawless in operation for the 40,000 miles we have driven it so far.

28. Sep 21, 2018 at 10:45 AM
    JordanxRide

JordanxRide New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    When I took my truck back to the dealer last week, they called and said Toyota told them to get a "tested" milli-wave sensor. The one that they replaced the original with was evidently not "tested". I have the truck back now and so far the issue has not resurfaced. Now where is some wood for me to knock on?

29. Sep 21, 2018 at 7:23 PM
    Omohundro

Omohundro 2018 Not a Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    McMinnville TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Bak Revolver, BedRug, Undercover Swingcase, PopLock, Bilstein 5160(rear), Firestone RideRite, TRD rear sway bar, Coachbuilder +2 rear shackles, Andersen 5” aluminum adjustable hitch, TRD dual exhaust, VLEDS interior leds including the footwell kit, TundraTex FRAC mod, VLEDS LPR backup tag mount led, Husky X-Act mats, Color matched cup holder bezel (silver), Ceramic 20% tint all around, 50% Ceramic windshield, Color Matched door handles & mirror caps, The “Stubby” antenna, AMP Research steps, VLEDS 6”step lights, ToyTec/5100 Bilstein coil overs, 700lbs red ToyTec springs (2.75” lift), 20x9 +18 Method 306 custom painted and custom fit center caps, Gorilla spline lugs, Bridgestone Revo 3s 285/60R20, TRD skid plate, RaptorLiner “Red” tow hooks, 19 Pro black LED headlights, VLEDS Triton V6 turns, Rigid SAE D series fog lamps, 19 TRD hood scoop, 2019 TRD Pro grille, Coachbuilder bumper shims, X-Pel protect under mud guards, Opti Coat Ceramic, Opti Coat Sealed. And some snakes and sparklers, because they are my favorite!
    Add my new 18 Platinum to the list, >400 miles and it been on about 10 times. Build date of 07/18 so I would have thought this would have been takin care of by now. Just sucks that I traded in a 0 problem 16 for this (what i can only assume to be) problem. I guess I will just start snapping pictures to build a case, I can not drive to the dealer every time this happens (40 miles one way). IMG_0286.jpg

30. Sep 21, 2018 at 10:33 PM
    ctraut5

ctraut5 New Member

Member:
    Germantown,TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black TRD Pro
    I'm looking at buying a 2019 TRD Pro on Monday and these issues have me very concerned. Do you guys think that this issue will have been resolved on the newer trucks coming off of the line? Also, I was planning on putting on some Toytec shackles set at 1", and I'm not sure if that's going to affect this PCS issue or not. Any advice would be appreciated.

Products Discussed in

To Top