1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2018-19 Tundra remote start

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Cement_Trd, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Dec 25, 2018 at 11:37 AM
    Cement_Trd

Cement_Trd [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD offroad
    Cement color match (dechrome), Tyger Side steps, TRD rear sway bar, Black badging (dechrome), TRD dual exhaust
    hi_rawb likes this.
  2. Dec 25, 2018 at 11:48 AM
    hunter35745

hunter35745 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum Super White
    Ionic 5" stainless tube steps, Weathertech vent visors front and rear,Weathertec all weather mats, Shorty antenna, TRD cold air intake,oil cap,radiator cap ,rear sway bar and dual exhaust,console safe, color match mirror caps,gloss black color match door handles, Tinted D&P front windows, Line X Premium spray in bed liner, TRD front swaybar
    Dont, know anything about that one but I installed 12volt solutions in my 18 platinum about a month ago and love it, easy and 100 % plug and play and uses your key.

3. Dec 25, 2018 at 11:51 AM
    Fishman57

Fishman57 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Bucks County, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 1794 Barcelona Red Crewmax
    BakFlip MX4 Tonneau, 12 Volt Solutions Remote Starter More minor mods coming
    I installed this one on my 2019 CM 1794.
    https://www.12volt.solutions/produc...tart-kit-h-key?rq=yr_2019~mk_toyota~md_tundra
    Super easy to install. It took me about an hour from start to finish, most of which was spent disassembling and reassembling the truck panels. No truck wire mods on the 2019 version. Only wire mod is on one of the harnesses supplied with the kit and that’s really simple. I think the 2018 version is the same. There’s a bit of programming involved but that is mainly pushing a button on the module several times and making sure the lights blink as instructed. This takes about 30 seconds to complete. Check out the video to see how easy it is to install.
    It works with your truck’s key fob so range is the same as that. There is an additional Wi-Fi module to plug in but I haven’t seen the need for it in my case.....yet.
    Others on this forum have had good luck with other starters, so you’ll have several recommended choices.
    Good luck with whichever starter you pick!

4. Dec 25, 2018 at 12:46 PM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    No mods yet
    I went with compustar drone and remote. I’m using the beta DroneMobile 4.0 app now and like the features.

Cement_Trd[OP] likes this.
  5. Dec 26, 2018 at 7:31 AM
    fuguchan

fuguchan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    St. Mary's County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 1794 Edition Smoked Mesquite
    ARE-Z Cap, Bed Rugs, Husky Mats
    I just watched the video. Thank you. This is a lot easier than i thought. Well, i got the wifey approval and ordered it. This is gonna be fun.

Black Wolf likes this.
  6. Dec 26, 2018 at 7:35 AM
    Cement_Trd

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD offroad
    Cement color match (dechrome), Tyger Side steps, TRD rear sway bar, Black badging (dechrome), TRD dual exhaust
    I see good reviews on 12volt solutions I just wonder if the tech12 is just as good as its only $189 ?

7. Dec 26, 2018 at 8:50 AM
    itsdchz

itsdchz 50statesoverland

Member:
    Clovis, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM Cement 4x4
    Icon, UCAs, Method, SSO, KB VOODOO, Skids and Sliders
    No issues after nearly 1 year with the tech12volts. I tried to install the compustar first, and it was difficult and way too much of not plug and play. Once I got the tech12volts, and the app enabled remote start/gps.. took 40 minutes and I was done. Super easy and well worth the $$.,

Black Wolf and Cement_Trd[OP] like this.
  8. Dec 26, 2018 at 9:02 AM
    Okietundra

Okietundra New Member

Member:
    OKC OK
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky CM TRD OFF ROAD
    Did you do the install yourself? What did you go with for the auxiliary functions?

trdprobped17 likes this.
  9. Dec 26, 2018 at 9:13 AM
    Cement_Trd

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD offroad
    Thank you for the reply. Right now tech12 is on sale and if it works just as good then that is fine with me.

10. Dec 26, 2018 at 11:43 AM
    lamikela1

lamikela1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Platinum Tundra 4X4
    Revolver X4 cover, Bedrug, Pocket Flares. Previously owned... '86 Hilux, '94 4-Runner '95 Taco, '05 Taco
    I believe these are all Fortin products they use. I am taking a different route as I want both RS and an alarm. I ordered a Fortin Evo-ONE, A Fortin key FOB - RF642W, and the harnesses TOY10 that make it all plug and play. I hope to get it installed this weekend and will let you know how it goes. Going this route gives you many more options on the setup and configuration.

With the Toy10 harnesses you only need to tap into 2 wires for the basic install. For what I am doing I also needed the Fortin Flash-Link programmer to set up the EVO-ONE but it was only about $40 bucks.

trdprobped17 likes this.
  11. Dec 26, 2018 at 12:49 PM
    MtnBound

MtnBound New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Crewmax Limited 4x4
    OME614/JBA/Toytec SCS F5, Cooper 295/70R18 AT3 XLT
    This is the setup I did a week ago minus the RF kit. With the Toy 10 harness one of the two taps can be tapped back into the Toy 10 harness so the TPMS interrupt is the only true splice and the only truck wire you have to touch. I liked the idea of having the Flash Link so I can change settings later (probably adding RF remotes down the road) plus I bought 2 Evo-Ones (Wife’s Sequoia got one for Christmas) so it made sense. So far it works great.

trdprobped17 likes this.
  12. Dec 26, 2018 at 1:00 PM
    trdprobped17

trdprobped17 New Member

Member:
    I preferred factory whenever possible. I bought these for my 18 and it works great.

REMOTE ENGINE STARTER
    Part Number: PT39834111

• Enables owners to start and turn off the engine remotely
    • Engine starts with quick, three-step sequence using keyless factory remote entry fob
    • Activates air conditioner, heater, defroster and defogger functions (to preset temperatures and settings), so owners can have their vehicle ready with a comfortable passenger compartment
    • Integrates with keyless entry system and existing factory security where applicable
    Have your Sequoia ready, waiting and comfortable, no matter what the weather.

• Remote engine starterstarts and stops engine from your Smart Key fob or factory remote keyless entry
    • Activates preset air conditioner, heater, defogger, defroster and temperature settings when engine is started

• Vehicles without factory alarm need to order and use part number (08586-0C920) to complete the installation. This part is a hood switch.
    • Vehicle requires RKE.
    Available only for vehicles equipped with Smart Key system or factory remote keyless entry system. Use only if aware of circumstances surrounding the vehicle at time of start. Operate only when legal and safe to do so (e.g., car uncovered in open area with no people or pets inside or nearby). See usage precautions in Owner’s Manual.

jtwags and 407plattundra like this.
  13. Dec 26, 2018 at 1:08 PM
    Fishman57

Fishman57 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Bucks County, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 1794 Barcelona Red Crewmax
    BakFlip MX4 Tonneau, 12 Volt Solutions Remote Starter More minor mods coming
    Doesn’t this shut the engine off when you open the door? Most, if not all, of the aftermarket versions listed above don’t do this.

trdprobped17[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Dec 26, 2018 at 1:22 PM
    trdprobped17

trdprobped17 New Member

Member:
    Nope. I had it put in by a local car electric shop and it works just like it is supposed to. Whenever I remote start the truck, it will run for 15 minutes, then, turn itself off if the vehicle key isn’t inserted into the ignition and turned to start.

You must insert the key into the ignition and turn it to the “start position” then, apply the brakes before you proceed any further. The vehicle will stay on and work normally without any interruptions.

Fishman57[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Dec 26, 2018 at 1:23 PM
    itsdchz

itsdchz 50statesoverland

Member:
    Clovis, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM Cement 4x4
    YES OEM does turn off engine. This is why I did not go with OEM. Other have had it bypassed though. It was a pain on my wife's lexus, when she had the vehicle, that we would have to restart it upon entering...

16. Dec 26, 2018 at 2:58 PM
    trdprobped17

trdprobped17 New Member

Member:
    I have not experienced anything of that nature with my remote starter. It may be a programming issue that can be fixed. After all, it doesn’t make any sense for the vehicle to shut of and have to driver restart the vehicle.

My Tundra doesn’t have that problem whatsoever. I also am aware that the people at the dealerships have no idea how to work/operate the products that they sell. I am aware that Toyota doesn’t like to offer the full and complete security/remote products. They with give you one part of the system, or no part of it at all. That’s why the product description that I posted earlier, specifically stated that if your vehicle doesn’t have the factory security system, that there are additional parts that must be purchased for it to work properly.

17. Dec 26, 2018 at 4:01 PM
    Cement_Trd

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD offroad
    Im getting the tech12volt for $189 and will let everyone know with 2018+ how well it works. Hopefully theres no issues

18. Dec 26, 2018 at 6:05 PM
    trdprobped17

trdprobped17 New Member

Member:
    :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

19. Dec 28, 2018 at 7:59 AM
    lamikela1

lamikela1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    Revolver X4 cover, Bedrug, Pocket Flares. Previously owned... '86 Hilux, '94 4-Runner '95 Taco, '05 Taco
    Actually I may have misstated one thing. You really don't get any additional options but you do get the ability to update the Evo-One when new fixes are available. you can also re-purpose the Evo-One to work on a different vehicle with the Flash-Link. Once you chose the vehicle that you want to flash it for it will present you with all the options for that vehicle. If you get one already flashed for the vehicle you cannot change the vehicle type unless you have the Flash-Link but you can change the options via the remote or the valet button. It's a bit clumsy but works. With the Flask-Link it is all GUI based.

There is a limited amount of times that you can flash the Evo-One. The un-programmed one that I purchased has a max of 8 re-flashes. So I can change the vehicle type a max of 8 times. It does not appear that there is a limit to how many times I can update the firmware or change the options for the programmed vehicle type.

Once i see how this one works I will probably order another for my Lexus as the remote start on that car shuts the engine off when you open the door. I hate that Toyota/Lexus does that.

20. Jan 7, 2019 at 1:22 PM
    lamikela1

lamikela1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    So I installed the EVO-ONE weekend before last and it worked properly for 2 days and then lost all programming. I do believe that the module is bad as I can no longer program it to the truck because it will not set up the CAN-BUS. I did order a replacement and once it arrives I'll give it another shot. All functions including remote start were working so once i get a good unit it should be ok.

Once I removed the module and put everything back to normal (takes about 5 minutes) on the wiring harness the truck is fine so there is no problem with the truck itself. CAN-BUS is working correctly.:frusty:

21. Jan 12, 2019 at 4:49 PM
    Scotty Dive

Scotty Dive New Member

Member:
    Connecticut

How easy was was the tech12volts to install? Did it take 40 minutes to install or were you referring to the app enbabled add on? Is it plug and play like the 12volt solutions version? I am hoping they are the same unit but the tech12volt version being much cheaper!!!!

22. Jan 13, 2019 at 4:02 AM
    niscur38

niscur38 New Member

Member:
    New Tundra Owner here....Just did the tech12 install yesterday on my 2019 Plat. The install was relatively simple and took me about an hour with the majority of the time trying to tuck the Fortin module in and keep the wires clean. With the harnesses that comes with the kit its 2 wires on the OEM side and 3 wires on the remote start harness that need to be cut/spliced.
    1. I have the factory alarm so one wire from the RS harness needed to be T'd into the alarm wire at the connector. Instead of splicing into the OEM harness I spliced into the jumper/T harness they provide.
    2. You have to cut/splice the Pink TPMS wire down in the kick panel. Some of the other kits provide a T harness down there that already has two leads that you connect to the Fortin if you dont want to cut the wire.

A couple of things I ran into not seeing on any videos or install instructions.
    1. With the Airbag panel down under the steering wheel I disconnected the battery.
    2. I removed the entire panel under the wheel (with all the mirror, power fold etc switches) two screws on either end. I did this because the airbag panel would not let the switch panel fold down out of the way as one is clipped into the other.
    3. I unclipped the kickpanel harness and untaped the connector with the TPMS wire to have more slack when splicing it.
    4. I depinned all the random wires from the harness tech12 provided. Once you add in both harnesses and all the slack you can't cut out it becomes rather congested in there.
    5. I ziptied the fortin onto some little black box next to the body module that the T-harness goes into.
    6. Don't wire tie and clean up the wiring until you do the programming.
    7. After I remote start it and put the key in and turn the ignition on the TPMS light flashes for a few seconds then goes away.

23. Jan 13, 2019 at 4:30 AM
    Hammy68

Hammy68 Peak Bagger

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Tundra TRD Off Road Crewmax
    RC 1.75” Front, 1” Rear, TRD Dual Exhaust, Nitto RGs 275/70/18, TRD Center Caps, Rugged Cover Hard Tonneau, Rhino Liner, LED interior/exterior upgrade
    For those of you with starters using the OEM key fob, how far can you be away for starts and how is the signal with walls, obstructions, etc?

24. Jan 13, 2019 at 4:42 AM
    niscur38

niscur38 New Member

Member:
    I still need to experiment with this myself as I was testing it right next to the truck to make sure it worked.

25. Jan 13, 2019 at 5:27 AM
    wigsplitter

wigsplitter New Member

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TSS Crew Max
    I'm sure you have to be as close as you would to unlock your doors. Nothing is going to change the range of the keyfob. I had a Clifford security/remote start system installed on my 2018 and it has a 1 mile range. Why get a remote start if you have to be within 20 feet of the car to use it. Just my 2 cents...

26. Jan 13, 2019 at 5:47 AM
    Hammy68

Hammy68 Peak Bagger

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Tundra TRD Off Road Crewmax
    RC 1.75” Front, 1” Rear, TRD Dual Exhaust, Nitto RGs 275/70/18, TRD Center Caps, Rugged Cover Hard Tonneau, Rhino Liner, LED interior/exterior upgrade
    That’s why I was wondering, because I want to be able to start the truck when inside buildings, stores, restaurants etc. At home I’d be fine with the fob distance, but I wonder about anything further than that.

wigsplitter[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Jan 13, 2019 at 6:56 AM
    Geezer

Geezer New Member

Member:
    Heart of the Catskills
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited
    Regarding range using the OEM key on the EVO One, I can start mine from inside a store, 30 or 40 feet away, but have only done it when I can see my truck through the window. Range may deteriorate as the battery in the fob gets used.

Hammy68 likes this.
  28. Jan 13, 2019 at 8:42 AM
    itsdchz

itsdchz 50statesoverland

Member:
    Clovis, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM Cement 4x4
    Easy install. Only one wire splice, and 40 minutes was total time. Maybe a little more for final clean up. It really is that easy with the harness they provide!

29. Jan 14, 2019 at 12:55 PM
    lamikela1

lamikela1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    So I was finally able to complete my EVO-One install last weekend. Turns out that the EVO-One module that I had was bad. I received the new one last week and programmed it exactly like the original one. I also rechecked and metered all of the T-Harnesses to confirm that all pins and connections were good.

After that I programmed the module to the truck's CAN -BUS with no errors, plugged in all the connections, and then reprogrammed the remotes and voila! It all worked perfectly.

After checking all the functions I did notice that after performing a remote start the seat memory will not restore so I have to manually select the correct seat position. Not a big deal but I will check with Fortin to see if there is a programming option for this. Nice that I can remote start and not have the engine stop when I open the door.

If I did not have to trouble shoot that bad module this would have been done from start to finish in just under 2 hours. Not very hard to do once you remove the panels. While I was at it I also installed a BlackVue 2 channel dashcam.

BTW, I purchased my truck at Don Magill Toyota in Katy ,TX and they add a device that helps them manage their inventory called APEX. Of course they market it as a security device during the sale but I did not pay for it ($399 1st year). I am glad I didn't as it is junk. It constantly notifies you that you truck was moved when it was not so you would never know if someone did break in and take it. It also adds yet another harness that connects to the OBD port for power and data so besides the T-Harness this thing added another connection to the port. if you have one of these I would suggest that you remove it or ask the dealer to remove it.

30. Jan 17, 2019 at 4:24 AM
    niscur38

niscur38 New Member

Member:
    Just want to give everyone an update on the remote start on our 2019. Even with the alarm wire spliced the alarm still randomly goes off when starting. Quick hit of the panic button shuts the alarm off while the truck is running.

Looks like a repeatable way to not get the alarm to go off at all is the following:
    Unlock First
    Then 3x Lock

Dunno if this is a work around or the splice for the alarm wire isn't good enough, but for now this is at least not having the alarm running while the truck is.

To Top