1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2017 Tundra SR5 Sound system upgrade (proposed)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by brownsno, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Feb 16, 2018 at 7:52 AM
    brownsno

brownsno [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5
    Ok gang, I would be interested in any thoughts you might have on a proposed sound system upgrade. I have the non jbl stock HU system and it is pathetic. I am looking for a simple upgrade without gigantic thumping bass. Want to be able to listen to Led Zepplin while doing 90 down 95 to Fl, and be able to enjoy it. Stock sound is not cutting it.

After quite a lot of research, much from this forum, I have come up with the following:
    - Will keep the Stock HU
    - Dynamat on all doors and back panel. Vids from ********* should be helpful.
    - Alpine ktp-445u amp, mounted under passenger seat, bypass the stock amp but leave it in place
    - Metra 70-1761 harness. Found out too late that Autoharness Item Number: 4438 is really all I need but will try the Metra first. Would like to avoid cutting the stock harness.
    - Front door speakers: 6x9 alpine # spr-69 (from taco site these should fit, please let me know if you know they will not)
    - Rear door speakers: 6.5" alpine # sps-610. ( I would get the alpine R-S65 but it is not clear that they would fit. Could not find specs anywhere). The sps appears to be able to fit.

That is it really. My plan is to matt and install the amp first to see how it sounds with the stock speakers. Once I'm convince those suck, I will then replace the speakers.

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer. Everything has been purchased but the speakers. So if you know of any gotchas there please let me know.

Best

2. Feb 16, 2018 at 8:02 AM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    Welcome!

How are you planning on mounting the speakers to the door?

GNTundra likes this.
  3. Feb 16, 2018 at 8:05 AM
    brownsno

brownsno [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5
    Since you ask I'm not really sure. From what I have read, should be able to use the stock mounts for the speakers I am looking at. Are you aware of a potential problem?

GNTundra likes this.
  4. Feb 16, 2018 at 8:11 AM
    Danimal86

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    You might be able to get away with cutting the stock speaker out and McGvyering a mount for them. I'd just grab a couple sets of adapters.

5. Feb 16, 2018 at 9:19 AM
    brownsno

brownsno [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5
    Thanks much. Luckily I have not bought speakers yet as I plan to see how the install sounds with the stock speakers first, which will give me some more time to plan the replacement. I see there are many different mounts with a wide cost range, $13 to $$$$$(audiodesigns). Even see where some build custom from plastic/wood to where one mounted speaker to the door sheet metal. What to do? sounds like another project. Thanks for the response.

GNTundra likes this.
  6. Feb 16, 2018 at 9:23 AM
    Danimal86

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    I used the wood spacers from tech12volts for my components
    upload_2018-2-16_9-23-35.jpg

7. Feb 16, 2018 at 9:36 AM
    smooosh

smooosh This place costs me too much $

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Offroad Limited Crewmax.
    Ongoing project
    Ditch the factory head unit or you really need a sound processor to fix the signal coming from the factory head unit before you amplify it.

panicman likes this.
  8. Feb 21, 2018 at 4:23 PM
    brownsno

brownsno [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5
    Ok gang, all I can say is wow what an improvement and that I will not buy new speakers now. The stock speakers sound pretty good. Perhaps later once the stock speakers are blown or if I really think it would help enough to justify the cost.

Here is what I did:
    - Dynamat back wall and all doors, inside the skin and on the outside. Did not do the floors. Just let me say this alone cut down a lot on the road noise and improved the stock sound some, but not enough. This also made everything sound and feel tighter when opening and closing the doors.

- Installed the Alpine KTP-445U. Did not need a sound processor. This amp has speaker or rca inputs. I chose the speaker level inputs.

Here are some take aways:
    - If you choose to do the alpine unit without a dsp, don't forget to set the pin for speaker level, the default is RCA.
    - Choose carefully on the pre made harnesses. I bought the Metra 70-1761 and it is useless. It comes with a 10 pin and a 4 pin.
    The stock harness is 10(J144) and 12(J145) pin. This one might be useful http://www.autoharnesshouse.com/41112.html. I ended up making out a colored coded wiring plan to work with the Alpine and cut the stock harnesses. I can provide the color codes if anyone wants it.
    - Just used the grounds and power lines in the stock harness, did not run anything to the battery or ground anything to the vehicle.
    - Used one side of the stock amp mount to hold the alpine under the passenger seat. Velcro and plastic straps to hold in place. Easily removed by pulling the harness and ripping off the Velcro.
    - I needed more dynamat than my initial estimate. Ended up using 1 bulk pack and a double window pack, didn't plan for the inside door skin.
    - The roller is not critical. Any round object, like a screwdriver handle can do the job. Save a little $$ here.
    - Took a lot longer than I thought to put the dynamat on. Partly since I had never done this before, partly because the truck is new and unfamiliar to me, and mostly because I did not plan to do the inside skin.
    - The stock deadener is pathetic on the doors. Perhaps 20% coverage in the form of a small strip on each door. That is why I decided to place some on the skin. It is not easy getting in there but enough of the area can be reached to be effective.
    - watched the taco guy put on his skin. It was not that easy to do as he made it look. And air bubbles? Fuget about it. Did the best I could and hopefully it will stay put.
    - Total cost of the upgrade was a little over $300. Alpine around $120, dynamat about $190 and some small amount for the useless harness. My time = $0.

Totally worth every penny though as the stereo cranks it now and even when not listening to the music the truck is a lot less noisy, and also as mentioned the truck sounds and feels much more solid.

Hope this helps someone some day.

9. Feb 21, 2018 at 4:37 PM
    GAknight

GAknight New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    Too many…scratch that…not done yet.
    Great write up! Thanks for sharing!
    When you have time, I'd love to see the colored coded wiring plan you made.

10. Feb 21, 2018 at 4:44 PM
    4Runner

4Runner New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Limited FFV
    Magnuson Supercharged, FOX 2.5 DSC front and rear, TRD Exhaust, TRD Rear Sway, and many more....build thread coming
    Sounds good. Did you consider the ********* plug and play?

11. Feb 21, 2018 at 5:20 PM
    brownsno

brownsno [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5
    Ok, you are wise to ask for the wiring scheme. It took more time to figure out the wiring than to install the unit.
    See attached for the wiring plan and also pics of the stock harnesses.
    I tried to paste here but the tabs are removed making the scheme hard to read. Hopefully the attached will be easy to understand. Reach out if not.
    j144.jpg J145.jpg

Attached Files:

12. Feb 21, 2018 at 5:31 PM
    brownsno

brownsno [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5
    4runner, yes I did consider taco. But, I don't really need/want the gigantic subs and also the complexity and cost getting up there where I don't want to be. I wanted something simple and inexpensive that I could do on my own and achieve two goals: 1 - reduce road noise and 2 - improve the sound.

The solution detailed here has turned out to be better than I ever expected. Very pleased. Tunes are awesome, especially when compared to the pathetic stock system, road noise is noticeably reduced, and the truck feels and sound more solid.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    And btw, Toyota should be ashamed of the stock sound systems and no reasonable(pricing or otherwise) OEM upgrade solution. I hear that the JBL is no great system either, and cost much $$$$$ if you want to upgrade to it.
    Also, the stock sound deadening in the SR5 is pathetic too. They should be ashamed!

13. Feb 21, 2018 at 5:51 PM
    4Runner

4Runner New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Limited FFV
    Magnuson Supercharged, FOX 2.5 DSC front and rear, TRD Exhaust, TRD Rear Sway, and many more....build thread coming
    I knew it was more expensive but can’t get much more simple than their plug n play with non JBL. Don’t even have to remove the HU. I’m going to do something audio wise next year and I do want to keep the Stock HU as much as I hate it doesn’t support AppleCar play. Glad to know the sound deadening makes a difference. Will build that in as well. Thanks for the info.

14. Feb 21, 2018 at 6:36 PM
    GAknight

GAknight New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    Too many…scratch that…not done yet.
    Thanks bud!! :thumbsup:

15. Mar 23, 2018 at 5:12 PM
    Mickleford

Mickleford New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    I'm really interested in this. Can you post some final install pics?

16. Mar 25, 2018 at 7:02 AM
    brownsno

brownsno [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5
    Mick, I did not take installation photos, but that's ok for this install as there really isnt much to see. I simply installed the Alpine amp and used the stock speakers. Straight forward to remove the stock amp under the passenger seat and put the alpine amp in. As mentioned earlier there is a harness that could be bought to make it easier, but I cut the wires. Use the wiring plan included in the post to make it easier if you want to go that way. I did magiver somewhat the stock amp bracket to hold the alpine amp with some velcro. But not necessary and a personal preference. I can change the gains without having to remove anything. As far as the dynamat, there are zillions of posts online about that if you want photos. Just do a search, mine looks like those.

It is not nearly a top of the line sound. But it is head and shoulders above the stock sound for $120(amp cost). The dynamat is a must do in my opinion. The road noise is way down and truck simply feels more solid.
    Reach out if you any other questions.

GNTundra likes this.
  17. Mar 25, 2018 at 9:38 AM
    Mickleford

Mickleford New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    Awesome! Just what I was wanting to hear, simple and straightforward installation. Its been so long since I messed with stereos that I feel like I'm learning all over again. Thanks for the reply!

18. Apr 6, 2018 at 11:23 AM
    Dmas

Dmas New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    FTL, FL
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Tundra DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Thanks for this write up, I just did it on my truck, pretty straight forward , I used your suggestion and bought the harness from autoharnesshouse.com, that made the installation plug n play, but I have a question, I get a popping noise coming from the speakers when turning the truck on, seems like is the amp powering up, is that normal?

19. Apr 6, 2018 at 11:36 AM
    Mickleford

Mickleford New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    I just did this too and used the same harness. I have no popping sound and I am pleased to say that this greatly improved the stock system.

I followed the wiring diagram posted in this thread and remember 2 grounds. Did you make sure both are hooked up?

20. Apr 6, 2018 at 11:49 AM
    Dmas

Dmas New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    FTL, FL
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Tundra DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes I did, hooked both grounds on the J144 connector to the out black on the alpine harness, the wire colors are different on the 2018. Ground in the J144 at the stock harness is brown not black, also all the wire colors on J145 stock are different from what’s been posted here.

21. Apr 6, 2018 at 12:51 PM
    Mickleford

Mickleford New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    I don’t know then. May try a new amp and see what happens then return the one you have now. I know that’s a hassle but...

22. Apr 9, 2018 at 1:17 PM
    seniramsu

seniramsu Pro Runnin

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Tundra Wht
    Good afternoon sir. Just wondering if I can get the color code for those harnesses. Thank you

23. Apr 9, 2018 at 1:32 PM
    smslavin

smslavin Behind a lens...

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    mine should be here tomorrow along with some other goodies including 8 tubes of soundskins. ups guy is going to love me.

james was super helpful. can't recommend him enough.

SAGE63 likes this.
  24. Apr 10, 2018 at 10:37 AM
    Mickleford

Mickleford New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    Color code is in the file attached in post #11

25. Apr 10, 2018 at 10:38 AM
    seniramsu

seniramsu Pro Runnin

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Tundra Wht
    Got it. Thank you

Mickleford likes this.
  26. Apr 10, 2018 at 10:51 AM
    seniramsu

seniramsu Pro Runnin

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Tundra Wht
    Are all sound deadeners created equal? And if not what brands are good to go? Don’t know much about it so before I bought any I figured I would ask the experts. Thanks

27. Apr 13, 2018 at 12:16 PM
    brownsno

brownsno [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5
    Dmas,

I do not get the popping you mention nor do I have any suggestions on how to address the problem. Everything works like stock when I turn on the sound.

americanaaron likes this.
  28. Apr 13, 2018 at 12:18 PM
    brownsno

brownsno [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5
    seniramsu,
    what year truck do you have?
    I did not have any wires left over. See post #11 for the color coded wiring.
    One tricky part as mentioned in this thread is a shared ground. Other than that its fairly straight forward.
    HTH

ecbalfour likes this.
  29. Apr 13, 2018 at 12:24 PM
    brownsno

brownsno [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5
    Dmas,

Did you remember to choose speaker level inputs, 4 channel on the amp? There is a pin you can switch to speaker level input. I learned this one quickly... when I first turned on the sound it almost blew out the speakers.
    HTH

30. Apr 13, 2018 at 12:34 PM
    brownsno

brownsno [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5
    Mickleford,

Glad it worked out for you, simple inexpensive mod with a big difference. Did you put in the dynamat? If so, how much did you use?

To Top