1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2017 tundra or wait for a 2018

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by w-r-g, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Jul 19, 2017 at 9:27 AM
    backcountryj

backcountryj New Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCLB Tacoma
    I saw the same 'official looking' document. That is where I got my info. Didn't know if anyone could validate or confirm the cement as being a non-Pro color option.

Yea faux scoop on the Sport. Not for everyone, but I do like the color matched bumpers and different grille. I'm not a fan of chrome on anything. My last Tacoma was Sport that was fully murdered out.

2. Jul 19, 2017 at 9:40 AM
    backcountryj

backcountryj New Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCLB Tacoma
    I completely agree with most all the points you've made. I like to be in control. Many of the comparable systems on current vehicles can be 'turned off.' At least the ones I'm aware of. Not sure what will be the case for future safety sense equipped Toyotas.
    My only interest in these systems is the potential insurance discounts they might qualify for. I also see a potential increase in resale value over previous non-safety sense equipped models. The next owner of the vehicle may care more for those features than I am.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  3. Jul 19, 2017 at 11:02 AM
    Jadoti

Jadoti New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 sr5 5.7l
    Roll n lock, viper remote start, RC 6" lift, 35" Toyos, 1.25" Spidertrax adapters, Bullydog BDX tune
    I had a 2015 Durango R/T that I traded in for my Tundra, and it had a couple of these features. The automatic braking had to be turned off, it couldn't figure out when the car in front of me was stopping or moved into a turning lane then stopped, quite dangerous unless you normally travel several car lengths back.

However, the automatic cruise control was a dream. Get on the highway, set it, and just go. Get behind a slower car and it adjusts until they get out of the way... probably my most missed feature of the Durango aside from the A/C'd seats in this Texas heat. As for the scenario you describe, no problem just putting your foot on the gas and overriding the cruise. Infact, in no time you'll even get the feel for how to do so without over accelerating, like a smooth transition to avoid the automatic slow down. I'm considering trading in on the 18 for this feature alone.

But, like you said, not for everyone. On my Durango they could all be turned off if you didn't want them... but the ACC was one of the best features I've had in a car, a good place for mopar to invest all that money they saved by cutting down on quality.

4. Jul 20, 2017 at 3:23 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    I like the grill and bumpers but scoop and especially 20s take it off my list

backcountryj[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jul 20, 2017 at 4:05 AM
    backcountryj

backcountryj New Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCLB Tacoma
    I don't mind the scoop. Can take it or leave it. Ill never keep any wheel over 18s on a truck. The 20s would be gone within a week.

6. Jul 20, 2017 at 6:09 AM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    I would probably roll with an new year model 2018, but it really just depends on how soon you want to purchase. Unless you get a really great deal on a 17, I might wait.

Good luck!

7. Jul 20, 2017 at 7:47 AM
    Buildn

Buildn 2022 Tundra Limited CM 6.5 Bed TRD Off Road

Member:
    Medina, Ohio
    TRD Air Filters, Front door windows tinted to match the rears. Wheel locks, Talons Garage cat shield, Tyger Automotive soft tonneau cover, WeatherTech floor mats with Tuff Skinz Custom Emblem kit, Toyota OEM Emblem Black Out kit. AVS vent covers on all four doors, Red Tundra letters on front bumper & TRD highlighted in Red on front grille. Tailgate Tundra Letters in Black.
    I pulled the trigger on the 2017 since Toyota has cash back and low finance options.

That is if you can find what you want.

I agree that the 2018 will probably have some bugs to work out with all the safety mods.

I usually give a few years for the bugs to get figured out before I buy. I learned that back when I ordered the 2000 Tundra in 1999.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Products Discussed in

To Top