1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2017 Tundra - Camper Shell Questions (Snugtop v. ARE)

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by 5-20, May 9, 2017.

1. May 9, 2017 at 12:59 PM
    5-20

5-20 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Just picked up a 2017 DC 4x4 Tundra. Pretty stoked. Have had a 2002 for more than 9 years and it was a fantastic truck. Just was time for a new one. As sad as I am to let the old one go, I am pretty excited about this new one!

I have had a Snugtop camper shell on the 2002 for a while and it's been great. I know the quality's there but every time I look at the pictures of the Snugtop shells available for 2014-2017 trucks, I'm just not really sold on the lines of the shells and how they look on the truck. I think I would probably go with a Rebel shell, but again, the lines...

This has me thinking about going with an ARE Z series shell. One thing I'm wondering about is the locking mechanism on the ARE shells. I really liked the pop up locks on the Snugtop. It was nice being able to keep the lid closed without needing to dig out my key every time I wanted to open it.

Is a similar lock available on ARE shells? Can you lock the shell from the inside?

I am really worried about having paint issues with the shell rubbing against the truck when I take it off road and the bed flexes and twists a bit. Any of you have issues with that? Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top