1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2016 Towing Help

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by WilkWM, May 8, 2022.

1. May 8, 2022 at 2:51 PM
    WilkWM

WilkWM [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 TSS
    Hello Everyone!

For the past week, I have been filling out calculators, reading various articles and browsing this forum like crazy, not only reading material in regards to towing capacity but looking at what others are towing.

I try and be very mindful of posting "stupid" questions but I also am not shy of admitting that there are people much more knowledgeable and experience than I am and am not ashamed to ask for help.

So here it goes.

An opportunity has come up to sell our home and essentially live full time on my in-law's land via Camper. I have been extremely overwhelmed with GVWR, GCWR, GAWR and any other combination of alphabetical characters.

Based on the stickers on the truck:

Combined weight of occupants and cargo limit: 1,240 lbs with a sticker stating due to modifications, it is reduced by 155 lbs. (Bought used, I imagine maybe a leveling kit caused this?) - So far the sake of argument we will say 1,085 lbs.

Truck (2016 SR5 TSS 4x4 5.6L Flex) GVWR is 7200 lbs and based on Owners Manual USK56L-PSTSGA GCWR is 16000 and 10100 TWR.

So with this information - I'm left with, "What in the world can I tow?"

We were looking at a 2021 31KQBTS (Owner states they pulled it with a Colorado...) but the dry weight is 8,697 LBS and I feel like based on everything I read and looked through, that would even be too heavy for the Tundra. Should I be looking for something in the dry weight range of 7000 or less?

Again, this forum's experience is something I'm going to lean on. Please be kind :)

Is the 31KQBTS unrealistic to tow? (The dry weight listed on specs here is less than the white sticker on the actual trailer we looked at)

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/print/floorplan/wildwood/31KQBTS/1346

Calculations.jpg

2. May 8, 2022 at 3:27 PM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    Your problem will be exceeding the GVWR of your truck. The yellow sticker inside the door further reducing payload is there to cover additional options installed at the port or factory. Items such as bed liners, running boards steps etc. Anything added after the first owner takes posession further reduces payload.

So, a trailer with a loaded weight of 7,000 pounds should have 700 pounds tongue weight and 6,300 # on the trailer axles. Lets say your truck with fuel and nothing else weights 6,000 pound and your Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 7,200 #. This leaves you 1,200 pounds for you, your passengers, the tongue weight and the weight of the weight distribution hitch. 700 tongue weight plus 75 for the WDH subracted from 1200 gives you 450 pounds for you, your passengers and everything else in the truck. Dirt in the carpets, under the truck, bigger tires, etc all add up.

What you run up against is your truck may be able to two a large trailer if it's only you and not much more in the truck. Hint: Seems travel trailers build them tongue heavy and it's work it get anywhere close to that 10% number.

Cpl_Punishment and WilkWM[OP] like this.
  3. May 8, 2022 at 3:42 PM
    WilkWM

WilkWM [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:

Thank you so much for this reply. This honestly puts things in perspective for me.

4. May 8, 2022 at 4:21 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I'd recommend something closer to ~5000 lbs dry if you can swing it.

WilkWM[OP] likes this.
  5. May 8, 2022 at 4:22 PM
    WilkWM

WilkWM [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    Thank you! I really appreciate you all. I will look at those!

6. May 8, 2022 at 4:46 PM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    You state living full time on your in laws land? Does this mean a drag it once and done deal?

Txexplorer23 and WilkWM[OP] like this.
  7. May 8, 2022 at 4:56 PM
    WilkWM

WilkWM [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    Initially yes it would be one and done! I thought about just having someone with a diesel drag it. I'm also a forward thinker though and I know it would be nice to have the ability to go to campsites to "get away" so to speak. I've been looking at dry weights around 5000 and they seem feasible. We only have a 4 month old as far as children go (part of the reason to be closer to family) so I don't think I need to go overboard as I initially thought!

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  8. May 8, 2022 at 5:18 PM
    The Dude

The Dude New Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ, not anymore :(
    That is too much trailer for Tundra. I’m pulling 2018 Jayco 28BHBE and that is pretty much at the limit.

These are numbers from last time I drove onto a scale, using WDH of course.

Front 3640
    Rear 4360
    Trailer 6480

Total 14480

WilkWM[OP] likes this.
  9. May 8, 2022 at 5:20 PM
    WilkWM

WilkWM [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    Oh I like that one!! Thank you for sharing the numbers!

The Dude[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. May 8, 2022 at 5:43 PM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    My 2019 Tundra pulls my 2021 Outback Ultralite 292RL just fine. It’s a lot of trailer, but Pulls and brakes fine. Around 7100# dry weight.

WilkWM[OP] likes this.
  11. May 8, 2022 at 5:45 PM
    WilkWM

WilkWM [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    Thank you!! I'll take a look! I really do appreciate your reply

12. May 8, 2022 at 7:15 PM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    A 4 ton Tundra?:confused:

13. May 8, 2022 at 7:41 PM
    KNABORES

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    that includes the tongue weight of the trailer. Spread across the front and rear axle with WDH.

The Dude likes this.
  14. May 8, 2022 at 9:39 PM
    The Dude

The Dude New Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ, not anymore :(
    ^This

15. May 8, 2022 at 9:52 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    So I have some questions and comments.

First off, we have no stupid questions on here. You are looking for answers for your safety and mine. Thank you for that.

The trailer in your post is too heavy for your Tundra. It’s just that simple. But wait…you have options.

If this is the trailer you want, and living in it full time is the plan, trust me you want the biggest one you can afford. Three weeks in my 28’ with 4 people and two large bread dogs had me thinking about running for the boarder.

So I have to ask you:

Is this trailer going to move much? Will you have a septic tank/leach field installed?

If so, why not have your new trailer delivered to the land? Plenty of hot shots that do this very thing all day long. I totally get you want to keep your Tundra. These are great trucks, put a smile on your face every time it’s driven, reliable, and pretty easy on the pocketbook.

The only real other options are to buy a smaller trailer or buy a bigger truck. I’m sure you have seen the price of trucks this past couple of years…ridiculous.

Cpl_Punishment, Silver17 and The Dude like this.
  16. May 9, 2022 at 5:16 AM
    Silver17

Silver17 Used, but returned and sold as new member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD 4x4 Harrop SC
    Eibach pro 2.0s, toytec progressive mini AAL, ARE CX cap, Airlift bags, Harrop Supercharger, 650cc injectors, 77.5mm pulley, TRD Dual exhaust, J&L catchcan, Powertrax LSD, RRW RR7-H, 305/70r17 Toyo AT3s
    You may be surprised if you look around. There are some trailers out there that are rather spacious but still light for their size. I have a 18’ Grand Design Imagine 2800BH. This is a 32’ trailer if you include the tongue. It has a large slide with a dinette and fold out sofa in it. It also has 2 bunks and a separate bedroom with a full size queen. The bathroom is also plenty big. It’s about 6,150# dry which is surprisingly light for that size trailer.

Using a good WDH my tundra tows it pretty comfortably. That said, if I was towing a trailer that weighed over 8000 lbs loaded I’d be looking at a larger truck. Check out the grand design line up to see if anything meets your needs. Their quality is a bit better than most trailers in a similar price range I have found.

17. May 9, 2022 at 5:24 AM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Keep thinking about the current trailer owner pulling that trailer with a smaller Chevy. Ask him to let you test drive the rig as a whole and post pictures of your white knuckles afterwards.

I know a guy that tows a TT with a gross weight slightly over 7,500# with a new Ranger. Ford says 7,500# max trailer weight but don't know if his particular truck is rated for that. His MPG towing at 60-65 is 7, maybe 8 MPG if he's lucky, according to him.

No thank you.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  18. May 9, 2022 at 5:29 AM
    KNABORES

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    He tows a 7500# trailer 65mph with a Ford Ranger? Balls of steel and brains of oatmeal. That’s dangerous.

19. May 9, 2022 at 6:16 AM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    He reminds me that I only have 5 lug nuts where he has 6.:monocle:

20. Jun 21, 2022 at 3:51 PM
    TL TRDPro LR

TL TRDPro LR New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    SoCal/Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro Lunar Rock CM
    Reading thru this thread and I have so many questions… 1) Do you think airbags are needed for any sag if you buy a good WDH? I have a ‘21 Pro and my payload is 1225 and I’m looking at the 24 numbered travel trailers as the 28 and 29 numbered ones scare me a bit and also trying to stay under 30ft overall for state parks etc.
    2) Hitch weight seems to be the major issue for our Tundras as most under the 30ft length have around 550#-750# tongue weight which leaves about 500#+- leftover payload for passengers and gear which is basically me, my wife and the dogs and maybe a duffle bag or two and a Coke.
    3) Does payload include my weight as many state that payload has already taken into consideration the weight of the driver. (that saves 200lbs right there and I can bring a couple cases of Coke and some Smart Water!!)
    4) Which WDH as they range from $350 to $3500? Thinking there has to be a difference otherwise nobody would pay 10 times.

Sorry I’m new to camping and trailering and I’m headed toward retirement in a couple of years so I’m trying to get this thing down so we can check out the rest of this great country… No interest in going anywhere else (maybe Canada!!)

21. Jun 21, 2022 at 4:31 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    1) No, I don't think airbags are needed. I agree that 24' box (~27' overall) trailers are the sweet spot for Tundras.

3) No, your weight also comes out of the payload on the sticker inside your driver's door. The people who tell you that are mixing it up with one of the towing strandards that some manufacturers follow when calculating towing capacity.

4) Get one with bars (trunnion style) rather than chains. Equal-i-zer is said to the best. Mine was about $1200. The Fastway E2 and Curt Tru-Track are also good and I believe the shop I talked to said they're about $800 and $500, respectively. Get a good hitch shop to install it for you (usually about $100).

22. Jun 21, 2022 at 5:02 PM
    TL TRDPro LR

TL TRDPro LR New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    SoCal/Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro Lunar Rock CM
    Thank You Sir

Products Discussed in

To Top