1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2015 Tundra Wiring Help

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by DYLB, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Apr 14, 2016 at 10:39 AM
    DYLB

DYLB [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi guys,

Looking for a switched 12V source to tie into.

The only switched power fuse I could find was in the engine compartment fuse panel, a 10A fuse labeled "IGN".

My question: what does this fuse power? If it blows, will my customer lose power to anything important? IE - computer/engine ignition power?

Last thing I want to do it tap to a fuse, blow the circuit, and this customer loses engine power while driving.

If it's only a matter of losing some interior accessories I can live with that.

Thanks in advance!!

2. Apr 14, 2016 at 10:53 AM
    RowdyRon

RowdyRon Not too old to play

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    Have you looked into tapping into a fuse location in the cab under the driver's side dash? If it were me, I would tap into the fuse location of choice with a fused Add-A-Circuit. Keeps the protection on the original circuit plus protects the new circuit you are creating.

3. Apr 14, 2016 at 11:01 AM
    DYLB

DYLB [OP] New Member

Member:
    Good call on the Add-A-Circuit. I suppose I could probe under the dash, this one is just very accessible with our current wiring.

Just want to make sure this fuse is not critical for the truck to run/drive.

For the record I do not have the truck here at the moment to pull the fuse and try it out, just trying to get some preliminary questions out of the way.

4. Apr 14, 2016 at 11:09 AM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    You should be ok to tap into that location as long as you replace the original fuse in the lower add-a-fuse slot and your new circuit is not a higher amperage for the upper protected fuse. If the under hood fuse box works best for you, then great, it is easier to do. The only thing about using the in cab fuse box is having to route wire through the fire wall grommet into the cab. Don't forget to notch the engine fuse box cover where it covers the fuse box so that the wire for the add-a-circuit doesn't get pinched. Also, I would consider placing the notch on the back side of the box so that water can't get in.

5. Apr 14, 2016 at 11:25 AM
    DYLB

DYLB [OP] New Member

Member:
    Awesome thanks for the help.

The draw is very low amperage, well under the 10A so I'm not too worried.

Just do not want anyone being responsible for him losing critical power to something should the fuse blow.

Thanks again

6. Apr 14, 2016 at 11:36 AM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    You are very welcome. Good luck with the project.

To Top