1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2015 Tundra Wiring Help

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by DYLB, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Apr 14, 2016 at 10:39 AM
    DYLB

DYLB [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi guys,

Looking for a switched 12V source to tie into.

The only switched power fuse I could find was in the engine compartment fuse panel, a 10A fuse labeled "IGN".

My question: what does this fuse power? If it blows, will my customer lose power to anything important? IE - computer/engine ignition power?

Last thing I want to do it tap to a fuse, blow the circuit, and this customer loses engine power while driving.

If it's only a matter of losing some interior accessories I can live with that.

Thanks in advance!!

dcsleeper408 likes this.
  2. Apr 14, 2016 at 11:01 AM
    DYLB

DYLB [OP] New Member

Member:
    Good call on the Add-A-Circuit. I suppose I could probe under the dash, this one is just very accessible with our current wiring.

Just want to make sure this fuse is not critical for the truck to run/drive.

For the record I do not have the truck here at the moment to pull the fuse and try it out, just trying to get some preliminary questions out of the way.

3. Apr 14, 2016 at 11:25 AM
    DYLB

DYLB [OP] New Member

Member:
    Awesome thanks for the help.

The draw is very low amperage, well under the 10A so I'm not too worried.

Just do not want anyone being responsible for him losing critical power to something should the fuse blow.

Thanks again

4. Dec 20, 2017 at 5:14 AM
    Worriedman50

Worriedman50 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Crewmax
    TRD Rear Sway Bar , 6112 front 5160 rear shocks, Retrofit Projector Headlights, Rear LED bumper lights lights, FRAC harness and front camera, TRD Pro Grill and color matched hood bulge.
    So, for wiring a switch, can the Add-a-circuit be placed in the in-cab box via the "Panel" slot?

5. Dec 20, 2017 at 5:27 AM
    Tundraplatinum

Tundraplatinum New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum CM
    [​IMG]
    I really like these you can get them in all ditfferent amperages and fuse types usually you can find a empty hole in fuse panel to install these so they don't effect anything else in vehicle.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  6. Dec 20, 2017 at 5:28 AM
    Tundraplatinum

Tundraplatinum New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum CM
    [​IMG]
    add a circuit are nice too

NewImprovedRon and MotoTundra like this.
  7. Dec 20, 2017 at 8:35 AM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    If that fuse blows, the truck won't start. If you really want to be paranoid, tap into the IGN fuse, but wire it to a relay coil (as opposed to directly to the new load). The other side of the relay coil goes to ground. Then one NO contact goes directly to the battery, and the other NO contact goes to the load through its own fuse.

dcsleeper408 likes this.
  8. Dec 20, 2017 at 8:39 AM
    Worriedman50

Worriedman50 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Crewmax
    TRD Rear Sway Bar , 6112 front 5160 rear shocks, Retrofit Projector Headlights, Rear LED bumper lights lights, FRAC harness and front camera, TRD Pro Grill and color matched hood bulge.
    What if I used the Seat Heater location in the in-cab fuse box, (I do not have seat heaters) and put in a 7.5 amp fuse?

Tundraplatinum likes this.
  9. Dec 20, 2017 at 3:28 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    I don't see why that wouldn't work.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  10. Apr 29, 2018 at 7:17 PM
    Thomas3296

Thomas3296 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Vehicle:
    2017 red tundra
    3inch rough country spacer lift (dealer installed after purchase) ION alloy wheels, 275/70/18 Cooper stt pro tires. ******* installing hood scoop LIght bar and light bar behind grill. With multiple switch-panel in cab.
    So what worked?? I’m currently battling LED wiring... rocker switches were power ran to the battery. So they stayed illuminated when the truck was off. Went and got this “add a circuit” and tried it on the IGN under the hoodie fuse box. No go. Then tried it on a few different ones on the in cab fuse box and still no power.
    What worked for you?

11. May 8, 2018 at 7:36 AM
    Worriedman50

Worriedman50 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Crewmax
    Ran wiring through the firewall to rocker switch, tapped adjacent for LED light for switch:
    [​IMG]
    Installed circuit breaker and relay to lights, room for a couple more for when I add my front light bar. Reverse lights come on in Reverse and the switch will turn them on as well, used a diode to prevent back-feed through switch.
    [​IMG]

atrinh15, NewImprovedRon and nk1794 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top