1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2015 Tundra 5.7 or 4.6

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Whenindoubt, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Nov 4, 2019 at 3:06 PM
    Whenindoubt

Whenindoubt [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Looking at two Tundra

1. 2015 Tundra SR5 17,800 with 124k miles 5.7L
    2. 2015 Tundra SR5 18,900 with 94k miles 4.6L

Both are 2wd Double cab , clean carfax

so the question is should I save the 1100 dollars and go with 30k higher mileage 5.7L or not.

2. Nov 4, 2019 at 3:09 PM
    rt_tundra_co

rt_tundra_co I'll get tired of tweaking this truck...never

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '15 SR5 CM TRD
    Magnaflow cat-back exhaust Leer Topper, color matched to truck Thule Aeroblade roof rack on topper FABTECH 4” Suspension Lift Decked Storage, 2 drawer SPYDER LED headlights and taillights kits Hertz HDP5 5 Channel Class D Amplifier 2 x 10” subwoofer boxed behind rear seat Door speaker upgrades by Elite Auto Sound Colorado Springs Lock’er Down EXxtreme Console Safe LD2043EX Lock’er Down rear seat 3 x safes Lock’er Down gun magnet 80 LED in-grill light bar Baja Designs LED ditch lights TRD Pro grill Rotiform SIX-OR 20x9 wheels 35x12.5R20 Toyota Open Country R/T tires TheSource sPOD power control hub with in-cab installed accessory switches Firestone Ride Rite air suspension system with Air Command remote, on board compressor and rear bumper air port SDHQ rock sliders
    There is a lot more to unpack here as far as features, how the trucks were treated, etc. But, if all of those were equal I would take the 5.7L. As long as it has been taken care of, the longevity of Toyota motors puts them on more even ground than the 30k miles would suggest. The 5.7L will make you happier in the long run when you look to demand more out of the power plant.

3. Nov 4, 2019 at 3:48 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    The mileage difference is negligible in my opinion. Select based on your preference for power, and possibly getting additional insight into the maintenance history of the two trucks. Subject to power considerations (see below), it will come down to which truck looks the cleanest and well kept.

Power conderations: There is 71 horsepower difference between the two engines. That 71 hp is all gravy. That is...it takes 310 horsepower to move that much truck at a reasonable rate, and an extra 71 horsepower is all giddyup. If you can stand to move at just a reasonable pace, then the 4.6L will work for you and give you a teensy-weensy bit better gas mileage (I estimate 2 mpg). If you want to not be loitering around, but git'er done quick or tow, then you want the 5.7L. Don't look back, forget the $1100.

4. Nov 4, 2019 at 3:51 PM
    Metro14536

Metro14536 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green SR5 CM TRDOR 4x4

GODZILLA and Whenindoubt[OP] like this.
  5. Nov 4, 2019 at 3:51 PM
    Whenindoubt

Whenindoubt [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    I can only go by the carfax, both have good service records from viewing that and no unusual maintenance reported . I was leaning to the 5.7 so thank you for the input.

Metro14536 likes this.
  6. Nov 8, 2019 at 9:58 AM
    db52282

db52282 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Tundra Limited
    I was in a similar situation as yours. 5.7 or 4.6???

Since both are DC's and MPG's are virtually identical then you should consider how much you will tow. The 4.6 will definitely do the job but will use more fuel to do it because the engine works harder.

You didn't mention color ... that would be a factor with me (along with interior color too).

Repair history and overall condition of the trucks will tell a lot. Try and find out how they have been used in the past. I picked up mine from an HVAC guy that used it on the highway to give install estimates. Only the drivers seat in the my truck had ever been used. Interior was flawless.

Hope this helps.

7. Nov 8, 2019 at 10:55 AM
    Fourknights

Fourknights Goin Coastal

Member:
    Georgia/Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 sr double cab 4x4 5.7
    Coverking ballistic seat covers, dipped 4x4 emblem, intermittent wiper mod, Toyota bed mat, Toyota rear under seat storage, dirty deeds budget, icon rebound 17”, bfg ko2s 285/70/17, matte black uws low profile toolbox, grill surround painted matte black

Products Discussed in

To Top